Author Topic: Jigs  (Read 5413 times)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
Jigs
« on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:31 PM »
What style jigs do you have the best luckwith for panfish?
t'pup!

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
Re:Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:21 PM »
Panfish aren't all that picky...I think color has more to do with it than jig design.  I just buy the regular round head jigs from Cabelas in bulk and paint em' myself.  White, glo, fl. yellow and orange seem to always work for me.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:35 PM »
SEEMS LIKE THE SMALLER ONES WORK BETTER. I KEEP CHANGING  COLORS TO SEE WHAT COLOR WORKS THE BEST. I HAVE BEEN USING A NO KNOT IT MAKES CHANGING JIG COLORS EASIER . :-*
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2003, 06:37 PM »
Get a selection of horizontal and verticle hanging jig in size 8 to 12. Horizontal stuff includes rat finkies, genze worms, marmooskas and others. Verticle stuff - tear drops, demons, and the like. Many days they prefere one style over the other. Colors are endless, I like to play with light and dark colors. Some days the bright glows, whites, and chartruese are the ticket others its dark stuff, have good luck with reds, purple, black, etc...
Good luck...

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2003, 07:30 PM »
Marmooska's are my favorite, and that's what I usually start with.  The jigs are heavy despite the small size and the small wire hooks stick really nice.  You can get them in size 14, which I've found work well in mid-winter when big gills are tight lipped.  Plus, I have very little luck with glow jigs, and it seems like every other line has gone to all glow colors.  The Genz worms are nice too, but I can't find them in anything but glow colors.  I usually have more luck with rocker style than tear-drop, but that's probably more about confidence than anything else.  Color preference can change by the minute, but black, green, blue, and white are my favorites.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2003, 07:53 PM »
Some other good horizontal jigs that I have used are SlowPokes by Bait Rigs and the Air Plane Jig from Northland. I use the SP's for crappies in 1/32, you have to keep adjusting your knot on these. They work real well for reverse hooking minnows. The AP jigs are a swimming type, 1/8 is what I use for walleye/sauger.
Most of my lures are gold or silver...... some of the glows (red & blue) do well on some days aas well.

My fishing buddy and I have a lure routine ( color/size) that we do as  team to find the triggers.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:31 PM »
i have some smaller jigs that i bought with almost a glitter-like skirt on them. I thought the sparkles and shine might do some attracting.... any ideas on that? good idea?... bad?

Melbs       :'(

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:28 PM »
I have been having real good luck with Flirty Girty's.  The fish hit them pretty good and I have been getting real good hook sets with them.  
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2004, 03:55 PM »
I have had really good luck with a Hali jig as well as tear drops.  When there biting it doesn't seem to matter what type of jig you drop down they seem to hit it.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:24 PM »
Hey perchinc what is a no knot rig ? Is this easier for changing jigs in the cold hard to tie some days.  :'(

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2004, 10:43 AM »
BlackIce, what happened to the Flirty Girtys.  They are a great panfish jig but I can't find them anymore.  The black/orange with glow eyes has caught a ton of blurgill for me.

Pop

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:17 PM »
Pop- The other night I used a green Flirty Girty #10 and on another had my usual killer Northland jig.  All fish caught on the flirty girty.  One other thing I have noticed and maybe it is just me but I have been getting really good hook sets with the flirty girty.  I fish crappies in 12-18 FOW and haven't lost a fish on the way up to the hole yet.

http://www.flirtygirty.com/
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2004, 08:43 AM »
BlackIce, it looks like I will have to order them from the web.  I have used them for years and the shop I have always bought them from, said he won't carry them anymore.  He gets ticked at salesmen and refuses to buy from them.  Have you ever used plastics on the Flirt Girty?

Pop

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Jigs
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2004, 12:18 AM »
marmooskas
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2004, 05:05 PM »
I really have had good luck with the custom jigs and spins shrimpos and ratsos. I tip them with a small maggot or waxie. You have to position them right so the bait doesn't interfere with the action of the tail.
I am going to try the Custom Jigs and Spins nuclear ants this year too. They have a big hook that rests below the dancing legs, so it's easy to tip with a maggot, mealie, waxy, or crawler piece without harming the action.
Probably the best all around are tear drop styles in my mind like demons, frostees, popees, and the like. They have actions much like tiny spoons, and panfish love them when tipped with bait.
Don't forget that the smallest jigging rapala, the #2 is really good for panfish too, especially perch and crappies, though gills will inhale them too. The smallest spoons like swedish pimples, kastmasters, and stingers should be carried too. I am going to try lots of new styles this year.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2004, 02:06 PM »
Flirty Girty- Gander Mt. has them. Got some killer perch on them last year, white with black eye.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.