Author Topic: vertical jigging lipless crankbaits  (Read 7647 times)

Offline Ernievdb

• IceShanty Rookie
vertical jigging lipless crankbaits
« on: Oct 23, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Just curious if anyone uses cranks like the Rapala Clackin' Rap or Kopper's Live Target Golden Shiner for walleyes...I have used the Live Targets and just bought some Clackin' Raps and wondering if anyone has used them with any success.
A day spent fishing with no fish is still better than any day at work!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: vertical jigging lipless crankbaits
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I have been using the chubby darter for a few seasons now, and have little success. it takes some patience but the smaller ones work great for perch and walleye

Offline Ernievdb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2010, 11:18 PM »
I too have used the Chubby Darter along with the Lindy Darter. I have had success with both, but so far for me the Lindy Darter has greatly outperformed the Chubby Darter. However, the lake I tried both them on it seemed that the bigger baits with rattles did much better than Chubby Darter, which is why I'm wondering about the Rapala Rattlin' Rap. It is a bigger, heavier bait with a pretty good rattle.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2010, 05:36 AM »
I would say as long as it hangs halfway horizontal  under your rod.... it's definately woth a try!!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:06 AM »
I would say as long as it hangs halfway horizontal  under your rod.... it's definately woth a try!!
                                                                                                                                                            they both work...days when they don't though too!!! Tried the rattlin raps on VERY cold days and should have downsized...but...low pressure is a killer on somedays!!! >:( >:( >:(

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2010, 06:08 AM »
Yozuri 3D vibe have been part of my arsenal for a while now.  Only the big fishes will bite these lures.  I've got some small one's from a cheapo Walmart bin of I think called Renegade lures or something.  Haven't caught anything on them, but they're about 2 inches and have just the right size profile.  Just haven't used them much.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2010, 06:50 AM »
live targets have been taking big walleye on lake winnipeg for the last couple of years. We run and gun, ripping these big noisy bass baits. A large basin lake, so the fish are roaming. I've caught lots of smaller 3 to 5 pound fish. The largest landed for me was 9 lb. Lost what I'm sure was an honest 12 just below the hole. Have seen lots of 10's hit the ice too on this bait. They don't work well on the red river though, due to current I'm sure. If you fish a large lake, give 'em a try!!

Offline Ernievdb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:25 PM »
greenbackhunter

I've used them on Lake Winnipeg and have caught a couple decent fish on the live targets and saw a couple 10s as well. I like the bait, but there are only two colors right? I was hoping using the Rapala Clackin Rap in the red color would do well as I had success with red there in the past.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Was in one of our tackle stores this week stocking up on a couple of live targets, fella told me they are coming out with new colors next season. Don't see why a similar product won't work... if they have it in a pattern you prefer, I say go for it!!

Offline Ernievdb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Saw the new colors as well. Here's the new ones:

http://www.livetargetlures.com/2011_NewProduct.html

To bad they probably won't be out in time for last ice.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Have any of you had a chance to try the giant chubby darters for ice fishing?

If so, what big predator hit them?

WW

Offline skittles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I have a few questions on this if you don't mind.   ???  I might give it a try on one of the Wisconsin river flowages

Are you using 1/2 or 3/4 ounce traps?

What kind of rod/line set-up's are you using?  I was thinking medium rod, 8-10 lb. mono? 

Thanks for any info

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:24 AM »
I have had luck aggressively jigging them on #20 Lb Fireline for small pike. ( largest is 33" so far)

This is not a finesse presentation,  med to med heavy rods, superbraids etc.

The hits are hard and bone jarring.

Make sure your drag is set so that the fish can pull line after the hook set.

3/4 ounce traps work better when there is current, but it is a personal preference.

Pike like larger lures.  On the Wisconsin River, I would use bright gaudy colors.  Orange or Firetiger.

Wiener

Offline skittles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Thanks for the info wiener, I was in the middle between heavy mono or a superline.  I was thinking that maybe the heavier mono would let it fall a little slower?  We have caught some real fat pike on the Castle Rock flowage on tip ups, but haven't really tried a heavier jigging setup like this.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Just curious if anyone uses cranks like the Rapala Clackin' Rap or Kopper's Live Target Golden Shiner for walleyes...I have used the Live Targets and just bought some Clackin' Raps and wondering if anyone has used them with any success.

read the In Fisherman article eh? ;D LOL

Havent tried it yet, but I have already moved a couple over from the bass tackle bag to my ice bag.

J-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.