Author Topic: Worst Day in my life.  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Pryvtpyle

• IceShanty Rookie
Worst Day in my life.
« on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:07 AM »
My stomach is in knots right now.  Just this year I was given permission to fish in a few private ponds.  I did everything right as far as getting permission.  I carried trash bags so i could clean up after myself.  I told one of the owners I always take someone with me do to safety reasons.  Everything was all gravy and I felt good about my new place to fish.  Keep in mind I drive just about an hour each way so it takes some time and money to get there.  Well first day on the ice was truly amazing. It started a bit slow and was beginning to look like another slow pond, and THEN!!!!!  We just started to slay the fish.  Nice bluegill and I mean a lot of them.  I managed to keep around 20 big ones which we ate during the crappy super bowl.  I talked to the owner after that day and told them how we did.  I told him what and how many we were catching.  So my third time out there this year another co-owner shows up and I could tell immediately he was pissed that someone was fishing in his ponds.  I told him i have written permission to fish there and he made it seem kinda Okay. although I could tell he was still pissed.  Needless to say I gought a call from the man that gave me permission.  He said he wasnt aware that we were so damn professional and he had no idea that we were keeping that many.  I told him that if thats his wish I wouldn't keep any I just want to catch a ton of fish.  I ate every fish I took out of there but whats the damn point of having a fully stocked pond and not let anyone keep anything out of there.  Again we kept 20 fish maybe a little more the first time because we were excited to finally get into a good mess of fish.  I told the guy I love eating them and intended on keeping them.  However I am extremely bummed and had to vent.  What can I do.  :(

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Worst Day in my life.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:17 AM »
My stomach is in knots right now.  Just this year I was given permission to fish in a few private ponds.  I did everything right as far as getting permission.  I carried trash bags so i could clean up after myself.  I told one of the owners I always take someone with me do to safety reasons.  Everything was all gravy and I felt good about my new place to fish.  Keep in mind I drive just about an hour each way so it takes some time and money to get there.  Well first day on the ice was truly amazing. It started a bit slow and was beginning to look like another slow pond, and THEN!!!!!  We just started to slay the fish.  Nice bluegill and I mean a lot of them.  I managed to keep around 20 big ones which we ate during the crappy super bowl.  I talked to the owner after that day and told them how we did.  I told him what and how many we were catching.  So my third time out there this year another co-owner shows up and I could tell immediately he was pissed that someone was fishing in his ponds.  I told him i have written permission to fish there and he made it seem kinda Okay. although I could tell he was still pissed.  Needless to say I gought a call from the man that gave me permission.  He said he wasnt aware that we were so damn professional and he had no idea that we were keeping that many.  I told him that if thats his wish I wouldn't keep any I just want to catch a ton of fish.  I ate every fish I took out of there but whats the damn point of having a fully stocked pond and not let anyone keep anything out of there.  Again we kept 20 fish maybe a little more the first time because we were excited to finally get into a good mess of fish.  I told the guy I love eating them and intended on keeping them.  However I am extremely bummed and had to vent.  What can I do.  :(

I guess I would have tried to establish an allowed 'harvest number' with the guy when you first set up getting access, then there would be no 'surprises'.  My guess is one guy gave you permission without discussing with the other guy and then they got in an argument and are using the 'you are taking too many' reason as a way to shut it down.  Ponds are delicate and can be overfished, but I would not think keeping 20 is too much unless the pond is very small.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:19 AM »
What can you do? In all actuality, probably nothing. A jointly owned BOW is a tough nut in the first place, as getting everybody on the same page is darn near impossible.

Also, the biggest bluegills in a BOW are pretty special, and if the pond owner(s) are aware of this fact, they aren't going to be happy with a non-regulated harvest. Maybe try investing yourself into this property? Offer to help with maintenance, or stocking, or anything else that eats up the owners time and finances?

Offline Mac Attack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:23 AM »

Also, the biggest bluegills in a BOW are pretty special, and if the pond owner(s) are aware of this fact, they aren't going to be happy with a non-regulated harvest. Maybe try investing yourself into this property? Offer to help with maintenance, or stocking, or anything else that eats up the owners time and finances?

Awesome advice.

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:01 AM »
From experience, you're probably toast....but on the bright side, if this is the worst thing to happen in your life, you a definitely blessed my friend.  ;D
Duane

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:12 AM »
agree with stag, if this is the worst in yer life, you are doin way better than me ;)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Yeah, if that was your worst then brace yourself because you have some real bummers coming!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Yeah, if that was your worst then brace yourself because you have some real bummers coming!!!!

That is truth!!! 

I would rank losing access to a private pond you have fished 2 or 3 times pretty low on the 'wow that really sucks' list.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:38 AM »
The owner One of the best ponds I am allowed to fish will not allow me keep a single fish.By far this is not the worst thing to ever happen to me,I am guessing your a young fellow,so hang in there worse days are a coming ;D

Offline Pryvtpyle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Okay maybe just a little dramatic.  I have been ice fishing for the last 10 years of my life and this is the first place that I have found that puts out great numbers all the while keeping the fish in decent sizes.  I have other ponds that are slow rolling, but these were something out of fish tale stories.  However thanks for making me feel a little better about the situation.  I guess its back to the slough

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:52 AM »
keep in touch with the owners, never know. Be polite at all times. 

In the meantime - keep fishing - just somewhere else.

Offline lastcast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:52 AM »
A thank you letter and a copy of the pages regarding managing your pond from the Indiana DNR Fish Pond Management brochure may be your best option. Or for what it's worth, print the entire brochure, give it to them and offer to help. Managing the harvest in a pond is critical to establishing quality fishing.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:53 AM »
sounds like you're going to lose that spot. you said that the 2nd guy was pissed. after the 3rd time, the 1st guy expressed his displeasure that you were keeping so many. you then kept another 20.  wasn't it obvious that he did not want you to keep that many or any at all? should have gotten clarification as to whether or not you could continue to keep them or how many the owner would allow.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Okay maybe just a little dramatic.  I have been ice fishing for the last 10 years of my life and this is the first place that I have found that puts out great numbers all the while keeping the fish in decent sizes.  I have other ponds that are slow rolling, but these were something out of fish tale stories.  However thanks for making me feel a little better about the situation.  I guess its back to the slough

There is a good chance that the reason this is so, is because the harvest is strictly controlled. Contrary to a widely held belief, you can fish down the quality of bluegills...maybe not the quantity, but absolutely the quality.

Especially in a pond setting.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:44 PM »
It's a pond there's tons of them look at satellite images and ask farmers. Exchange them bags of cleaned fillets for fishing privileges.

Offline Pryvtpyle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Just to clarify.  I only kept 20 fish the very first time we went out there. The second time we didn't keep any and our third time I just had four nice fish that I could eat on the next day.  However, I am working on keeping a good relationship with these guys.  I am extremely grateful for even getting a chance to fish there.  I will give it some time and try to reconnect with the brothers.  They do some amazing work to these ponds.  They have brand new airators and feed these fish throughout the summer with automatic fish feeders.  Its nice to find a place like that.  Like i said, I don't care to keep any fish if it is not warranted, but I just like wreeling them in ALL DAY LONG. 

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:12 PM »
Just to clarify.  I only kept 20 fish the very first time we went out there. The second time we didn't keep any and our third time I just had four nice fish that I could eat on the next day.  However, I am working on keeping a good relationship with these guys.  I am extremely grateful for even getting a chance to fish there.  I will give it some time and try to reconnect with the brothers.  They do some amazing work to these ponds.  They have brand new airators and feed these fish throughout the summer with automatic fish feeders.  Its nice to find a place like that.  Like i said, I don't care to keep any fish if it is not warranted, but I just like wreeling them in ALL DAY LONG.

That's just what I thought. These ponds are managed and controlled. Take it from me, these guys are spending $$$ and lots of time to get things in this kind of shape. Offer to help, be considerate and respectful, and remember that even though you aren't keeping fish, catching them is stressful also, and many succumb after release. Especially during cold or hot water periods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.