Author Topic: Which portable should I get????  (Read 2746 times)

Offline livin4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Which portable should I get????
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:18 PM »
I am getting ready to buy a new portable.  I am torn between the Frabill Ranger XLTwin and the Fishtrap Yukon.  I'm looking for any info I can get on the pros and cons of each.  I am a tall guy (6-05) so I have to say that I like the height of the XLTwin.  What do you all think??  ???  ???

Livin

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
Re: Which portable should I get????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:49 PM »
The Frabill is a nice shanty. I have fished it and other frabill shanties with a guide I use in Wisconsin. He is on their pro-staff so all his portables are frabills. They seemed to be well made and comfortable to fish out of. I don't think you could go too wrong picking either of them.
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline YR bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:46 AM »
I agree with Livin. I am 6-4 and just purchased a Yukon. When you are sitting down, the height doesn't matter too much. You just have to watch your head when you stand up. You would look mighty bad wearing a shanty for clothing LOL

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:27 AM »
I would like to add a question to this.... Where can you find the best price on these portables?
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline YR bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:31 AM »
In my opinion, Gander Mountain has the best prices on all the models. Indy has the Yukon, Scout, and Guide all set up for you to jig a pole with. Now, if they could just bring in some fish to catch or drill a hole through the floor........

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:42 AM »
I am pretty tall too I'll be interested as to what you find out...The clam scout and GM seemed to work well for me if you don't mind close quarters...jlc
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline FishinAddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:17 AM »
Just bought a guide yesterday at Gander Mountain after wanting a Yukon for a year.  The Yukon looked almost too big when I saw it set up.  They have displays set up but you have to put them together.  I think the Yukon is $499 at Gander mntn. in Greenwood.  They didn't carry Frabill.
ICE RULZ.................. ...

Offline stonecold16

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:07 AM »
I'm 6'1" and 270lbs the scout works good for me and seem to have plenty of room. plus easy to unload from my truck by myself.

Offline nate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:42 AM »
last year i got an eskimo quickflip II

i really like it

plus the bench seat warms up

good tymes

nate

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:25 PM »
You'll see the yukon behind me in the picture... Just got it last year, and I do like it.... It is a bit heaver than I thought it would be, but if you rather fish with a partner rather than solo, the yukon is nice and roomy and is very portable (flip and go).  I have had a few shanties in my years of fishing, and I have to say the flip-and-go styles are the way to go to be mobile.  I sort of resisted at first cuz I've always had the shanties with the floor and tent poles, and I am sort of reluctant to change... but now that I have the yukon, I won't go backto the big cabin style.
Carp

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:38 PM »
  I agree with Carp. The flip style shanties are perfect for how I fish. I spend most of the time with the front open and only close it if I'm in need of some warm up time.
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline livin4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:37 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and info.  It's nice to have a place to ask stuff like this.   :D  :D  :D

Livin

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:54 AM »
I would like to add a question to this.... Where can you find the best price on these portables?
Another site that has these flip shanty's is www.fish307.com  . I have used them in the past with good success. I like the looks of the new 1.5 Rover for room and weight. Ive got the 1.0 Rover  and am happy with it, but the extra room of the 1.5 would be handy for longer poles,lantern,my big butt,etc.etc. .

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:38 AM »
if it were me, I would go with the lighest one as possible, mine is the clam jr and it is the lead sled. if you like snow plows,  the clam jr is great.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.