The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 868 times)

Offline rogerj1977

• IceShanty Rookie
Advice please
« on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Taking my girls son out tomorrow for first time. O trophy hunt so don’t care if I sit for 10 hrs and get no flags but want to keep him into it so need some advice on any local waters that are kid friendly. I have plenty of small bait so I was planning on Hampton ponds or Norwich lake. Anyone willing to suggest any others? Not looking for exact spot or for spot burn just asking 
" Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" 
Albert Einstein

Offline MR WOZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:07 PM »
I’m sure he’d be busy at Hampton ponds... plenty of hungry small fish in there.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:07 PM »
x2 on Hampton - pickerel should keep you busy

Offline rogerj1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Yeah that’s what I figured thanks guys. I went there a couple years ago on a Muskie hunt and caught a bunch of small slime darts
" Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" 
Albert Einstein

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:38 PM »
They stocked seomthing like 200-300 Muskie in there in 2015 - should be a few sizing up by now...saw a picture of an approximately 30” from another pond from the same stocking...

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:36 AM »
slime darts will keep them busy

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:59 AM »
More important, how old is he?
if he's really young it will be a challenge to keep him occupied while waiting for a strike.
If he's in grade school or older then jigging would be a good choice.
The key with kids and fishing is to let them develop the love of fishing on their own, and don't force it on them.
When I took my nieces and nephews fishing when they were much younger I would let them set the pace.
When they got tired of fishing I would either let them do what they wanted to (within safe reasoning) or I would take them home.
Most had enough fun to last a few hours, particularly when jigging was productive.

Who knows, you could have him jigging perch or sunfish and he could lure in a large predator? (I've had it happen quite often)

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline rogerj1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:48 PM »
He is 12. Loves to fish. Yesterday sucked one of the worst days I have had in a couple years we put in a solid 6 hours all sizes bait all depths all water columns jigging and traps and we couldn’t buy a bite. Even in a area where last year I was using huge bait and catching tiny pickerel. Taking him again tomorrow and see what we can do.
Albert Einstein

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.