The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Current moosehead conditions  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
Current moosehead conditions
« on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Does anyone have any current conditions on the ice at moosehead? Headed up Wednesday night. Staying at rockwood cottages. Headed up with quads. Have tire chains if necessary for the quads. Hopefully there's not too much snow for quads. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and tight lines! :tipup: :tipup:  🎣
Tim
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Current moosehead conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:57 PM »
was up last weekend during the blow on Sat, 30" of ice some snow pac but solid. I think they got more snow during the week so not sure how the lake will be now.
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Thanks for the update. Many wheelers on the ice?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:57 AM »
FWIW, while watching the Misty Morning Cottages live stream yesterday I could see rooster tails of slush behind sleds passing on the lake. Also depending on where you plan to access the lake, there are some wicked drifts along the beach. Sorry I can't offer better info, I planned to be there the last three days but got held up by the dreaded work.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Thanks eiderz. We are accessing from rockwood cottages. Some info is better than no info at all. Sorry to hear that nag called work messed up your plans! Hopefully you make it up soon.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:48 AM »
The current plan is to go tomorrow night, hoping I have the office under control. If it works out I'll check the lake early Wednesday and throw up a post for you.

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Just got home last night from a 4 day trip up there.  Didn’t travel much of the lake other than from Rockwood launch across Kineo to the eastern shore beyond Kineo.  Tons of snow on the shorelines in that area from the last couple of storms and from blowing off the lake.  Probably got another couple inches or so on Fri and Sat.  As usual, the snowmobile trail from Rockwood to Kineo is pretty well groomed.  Backside of Kineo (also as usual) doesn’t really have a groomed trail.  If it were me, I would prefer sled over wheeler even with chains.  We hit a few slushy spots on the east side of Kineo, but nothing terrible.  Lots of snowmobiles buzzing around the backside of Kineo on our way back yesterday, so it may actually be packed down more.  At least 24” of ice (well, let's say 18" of good ice and 5-6" melt-refreeze on top of that under another 6" of snow) of where we fished.  Didn't need the auger extension as long as I cleared the snow a bit before drilling but it was close.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Thanks Keychain. Great looking Elan! Have you had it since new?

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Thanks Keychain. Great looking Elan! Have you had it since new?
Just picked it up this fall.  1987 one lunger.  My dad has a 79 (or 80? Can't remember...) that was and still is the best fishing sled around.  It was also the machine that I rode as a kid.  Can't go fast enough to be too dangerous, almost impossible to get them stuck and if you do, they're light enough to lift out.  Took me awhile to find one, but I hope to hand this one down to my son someday.  Well, after I get many more years out of it!  Sorry to hear you weren't able to make it up.  Typical Moosehead weather this weekend.  Snowing and blowing most of Fri-Sat then of course, sunshine and clear skies on Sunday as we were packing up to go home...

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Just picked it up this fall.  1987 one lunger.  My dad has a 79 (or 80? Can't remember...) that was and still is the best fishing sled around.  It was also the machine that I rode as a kid.  Can't go fast enough to be too dangerous, almost impossible to get them stuck and if you do, they're light enough to lift out.  Took me awhile to find one, but I hope to hand this one down to my son someday.  Well, after I get many more years out of it!  Sorry to hear you weren't able to make it up.  Typical Moosehead weather this weekend.  Snowing and blowing most of Fri-Sat then of course, sunshine and clear skies on Sunday as we were packing up to go home...

The weather is always a challenge there, but I guess it's part of the fun on a big lake. I'll get there soon, just in time for another foot of snow no doubt.  :P Poor guys doing work at our place had to shovel in, we have security cameras so I was watching from my Lazboy.  ;D  All I could see was the top of their heads.

That Elan brings back memories, an Elan was one of the first sleds we had at camp in the 70's. Back when you had to dodge the Woolly Mammoths. Great machine, everything you wrote is spot on. Never let it get away except to your son. Like you said, someday.   :tipup:

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:44 AM »
thanks for the up date

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Thanks very much for your update keychain! Much appreciated! Hope you had a good trip. Minus the wind and usual moosehead weather.
Just got home last night from a 4 day trip up there.  Didn’t travel much of the lake other than from Rockwood launch across Kineo to the eastern shore beyond Kineo.  Tons of snow on the shorelines in that area from the last couple of storms and from blowing off the lake.  Probably got another couple inches or so on Fri and Sat.  As usual, the snowmobile trail from Rockwood to Kineo is pretty well groomed.  Backside of Kineo (also as usual) doesn’t really have a groomed trail.  If it were me, I would prefer sled over wheeler even with chains.  We hit a few slushy spots on the east side of Kineo, but nothing terrible.  Lots of snowmobiles buzzing around the backside of Kineo on our way back yesterday, so it may actually be packed down more.  At least 24” of ice (well, let's say 18" of good ice and 5-6" melt-refreeze on top of that under another 6" of snow) of where we fished.  Didn't need the auger extension as long as I cleared the snow a bit before drilling but it was close.

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Was just up there the past 4 days.  In my opinion, wheelers would be a bad choice and would be tough going on the ice as there was a decent amount of snow and some pretty bad slush spots.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Ahhh thanks for the info. Unfortunately my sled is out of commission for the rest of the season.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:04 AM »
we had a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile up there this past weekend, both went fine. We were down on the Lily Bay end, about 6 inches of snow on top of the ice, when we headed up the lake there was a few slushy spots but nothing drastic. Hope you have better fishing than we did, very slow!
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Thanks bosshog! Sorry it was slow going for you guys. Unfortunately in my experience moosehead is either real slow or really good! Haven't seen much of an inbetween. I'll get a big fat ole Brookie for you! :tipup:

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:08 AM »
I just got back from 4 days at The Birches.  Lots of hard packed snow and some pretty bad slush spots.  I pulled a wheeler out on Sunday that got stuck with my sled.  I'd be real careful where you drive a wheeler but I think you could make it happen.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Yup send a picture, I'd send pics to, but I'm computer illiterate, my kids laugh at me....... I feel so ashamed! lol.  Good luck, be careful where ever you go.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I'll definitely send pics. I'm computer illiterate also..... That's what the wife is for! Thanks again bosshog! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:47 PM »
I just got back from 4 days at The Birches.  Lots of hard packed snow and some pretty bad slush spots.  I pulled a wheeler out on Sunday that got stuck with my sled.  I'd be real careful where you drive a wheeler but I think you could make it happen.
We won't be far from the birches. Thanks for the info lion!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Headed up in the morning. Will post results Wednesday when I get back and settled in!

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Roads may be nasty in the morning.....be careful. Tight lines to you and your group

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Roads may be nasty in the morning.....be careful. Tight lines to you and your group
Leaving from Berwick.. Gonna leave a bit later than we planned because of weather. Thanks for the heads up! :tipup:
Tim

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Fishing has been slow this weekend. Lots of flags. Lots of stolen or bit in half baits. Sled conditions are great. 4 wheelers are doable but it's slow going. If you have tracks it's perfect. I ran bare tires yesterday and it was a little tough. Had tire chains on today and no issue doing 25 to 30.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.