The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 1st time to Moosehead  (Read 647 times)

Offline Fishin_Addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
1st time to Moosehead
« on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:58 PM »
I'm headed up to Moosehead at the end of the month. Staying at a place on North Shore Rd, in Shirley mills , just south of moose island. I've never fished up there and am looking for any advice of gear I should bring and any other advice a first timer to Moosehead should know. Thanks!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1st time to Moosehead
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:01 PM »
If you're staying on the North Shore Road on Harfords Point, be careful in the narrow area between Harfords Point and Moose Island. It has open water. Last year the south end of Harfords Point also had open water, pretty sure that's where a snowsledder was lost. Haven't looked there this year. You can catch fish on tipups or jigging, there's lots of lake to fish. The togue and salmon can be anywhere from 30' dropoffs to deep water where the smelt are suspended 40-60'. If possible find a sheltered area, the wind really whistles down that lake. Anchor your flipover/popup before opening it or be prepared to chase it to Greenville.

Offline Fishin_Addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Thank you that is exactly what I wanted to know about the sketchy areas to avoid

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:15 PM »
If you buy the fishing map of moosehead (Indian hill trading post has them) it will show you the common sketchy areas. There are also a few Maps online that show them.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.