The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jigging for Landlocks  (Read 2414 times)

pbr27

Jigging for Landlocks
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:38 PM »
What are some techniques for jigging them up?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Jigging for Landlocks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:28 AM »
What are some techniques for jigging them up?

I used to catch quite a few jigging but don’t target them at all anymore.

Fish right under the ice. A swedish pimple or Kastmaster were the goto’s, tipped with a small minnow or small thin strip of cut sucker belly or the like. Fish in the same areas you’d set tip-ups and move around a lot. Trolling sorta.  I’ve caught a few nice ones by accident on a yellow or chartreuse Big Max with a small piece of cut bait. Same thing move around were salmon typically live and feed.

Sonar isn’t really useful for salmon, IMHO, as they move around horizontally and quickly in the water column, slashing along after smelt. 
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:12 AM »

Sonar isn’t really useful for salmon

Not in the traditional sense however IME if they miss they will drop in the water column. With sonar you don't have to wait for them to decide if they want to move up for another strike. Just drop the jig and put it on their nose!   

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Not in the traditional sense however IME if they miss they will drop in the water column. With sonar you don't have to wait for them to decide if they want to move up for another strike. Just drop the jig and put it on their nose!
That sounds right. Meanwhile I have watched them swinging through at the jig until they finally got it. That was before I had sonar. Certainly putting the jig in front of them helps!!!  :icefish: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

pbr27

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:16 AM »
I have heard the 3 feet under the ice rule. Do you think a slip bobber rig would work for a deadstick while I jig for perch?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:51 AM »
I have got a few with pimples jigging on bottom. Ive also had them chase the jig like a laker when you crank it up.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:43 PM »
I have heard the 3 feet under the ice rule. Do you think a slip bobber rig would work for a deadstick while I jig for perch?
Caught son of best ones jigging for perch. Was actually jigging for crappie but didn’t find any. Caught on Yellow Glow Big Max #6. You can see that jig attached to the rod above the top salmon. The rod on the bottom has a pimple on it with green prism tape. Caught a couple smaller ones on that with a tiny minnow on it.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Used to fish for them with a jig in Thompson lake when there was a artifishal  ,sp, season in March. Boy when one hit you would sure know it. We didn't get one every day but enough to keep it interesting.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:38 PM »
im surprised i dont ever catch them here on champlain through the ice.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:51 PM »
I used to catch them pretty regularly jigging a smallish sweedish pimple 4-6' under the ice, always neat to watch them hit. I never tipped the jigs, though didn't seem to matter.

You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:33 PM »
They feed on Smelts. With a flasher find the smelts and jig they are very active feeders  and will hit any moving bait or lure!!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Must be nice to keep a few Salmon ...through the ice.....Big No-No ovah Here !

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:06 PM »
Must be nice to keep a few Salmon ...through the ice.....Big No-No ovah Here !
In the southern counties, there’s a few lakes with special regulations where they are protected, but otherwise it’s general law. There are a few places with laxed regulations with smaller/no minimum size and increased limits.
The few I’ve caught were while I was fishing for brookies/bows in shallow water, while my a friend of mine catches them on bottom in deeper water while fishing for lake trout. I’ve caught them with live shiners on a dead stick, and jigging with rattle spoons. I’d like to learn to target them better myself, but I know it’s more about location and finding the baitfish. They are aggressive in the fridge water, you just need to get their attention.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:06 AM »
I jig a lot with goldfish, usually catch them on bottom but a few while I was bringing the lure up through the ice. They chase it up.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I recently had a salmon chase my depth Sounder while sounding a hole came right up the hole no hook needed!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:43 PM »
I recently had a salmon chase my depth Sounder while sounding a hole came right up the hole no hook needed!
See, they are just a bigger and faster trout, they’re curious and aggressive. so just get their attention and they will at least play if not bite.

Offline nbg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *removed*
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:35 AM »
I’ve jigged plenty off bottom in under 10 feet of water. Usually jig 2 feet under the ice. Swedish pimple with smelt tail or blue and white weeping willow. Hit hard like a brown trout. Fun to catch but have your drag set a little lighter. They are so close to the the top it’s nice to let them run a little with the drag. Good luck

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Years ago they used to use fish decoys, actual fish carvings they would lower down the hole and slowly raise them up from the bottom to just under the ice or to at least where they had a baited hook, the other fish would come up following the decoy, I don't think it's practiced any more but I sure would like to have some of those decoys. Maybe that's why the fish chase the jigs up, they learned it in......... school!
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:02 AM »
That was for Pike or Sturgeon.  Now we have Flashers!!

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:23 PM »
I thought you only needed a flattened out beer can for Pike?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Maybe that's why you do not catch any????

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:42 AM »
That's a possibility! Lol!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.