The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: How To Make Ice Fishing Jigs.  (Read 3736 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
How To Make Ice Fishing Jigs.
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals, I've been asked several times if I could show how I make ice fishing jigs that I use, so in this video, I show step-by-step how to make ice fishing jigs. I review the tools needed to pour, how to powder paint the jigs, and how to apply lure eyes so they won't fall off.

Link to the video:
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How To Make Ice Fishing Jigs.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:28 PM »
That was cool! Thanks for sharing something a little different

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Good video thanks for sharing,  Where do you get your tungsten carbide mix and how hot does it have to be? to make your metal to pour temp

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:03 AM »
  Great video. I finally had some time to sit down and watch it. I was not dissapointed. The last two jigs you painted were very interesting to me especially. It was funny as you were painting the first jig I was thinking, one with a white belly, chartreuse sides and a little black on top would be lethal most places I fish. Then you painted that exact one and it looked awesome.

You may have covered it in the video but, what is the cost of that equipment? Seems like a ton of work but I never can seem to find jig heads in the colors, size, and weight that I want. Also, I know you were using lead but can you make tungsten jig heads also?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:13 AM »
All the jigs being made have the hook pointing in the wrong direction. Fish take bait head first. why not reverse the hook direction and catch more fish..

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:03 PM »
All the jigs being made have the hook pointing in the wrong direction. Fish take bait head first. why not reverse the hook direction and catch more fish..
Interesting. Could probably modify the mold for a different hook orientation.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:05 PM »
  Great video. I finally had some time to sit down and watch it. I was not dissapointed. The last two jigs you painted were very interesting to me especially. It was funny as you were painting the first jig I was thinking, one with a white belly, chartreuse sides and a little black on top would be lethal most places I fish. Then you painted that exact one and it looked awesome.

You may have covered it in the video but, what is the cost of that equipment? Seems like a ton of work but I never can seem to find jig heads in the colors, size, and weight that I want. Also, I know you were using lead but can you make tungsten jig heads also?

That white, chart, and black is a killer spinnerbait combo as well.

I didnt cover the cost, but just the jig set up for the bottom pour, mold, lead, hooks and paint were around $300 or so. Most of that was the bottom pour. Paint will get ya too, each color is around $8 now.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:08 PM »
  Also, I know you were using lead but can you make tungsten jig heads also?

Yes/No. Can I pour a straight Tungsten, no. Tungsten melts around 6000D, which will incinerate most molds. Will also destroy most hooks. I can buy premade tungsten jigs heads that are soldered to a hook.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Good video thanks for sharing,  Where do you get your tungsten carbide mix and how hot does it have to be? to make your metal to pour temp
I was using lead. Lead melts at 621D, so I run it around 650-700D.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:50 PM »
I thought Lead was now illegal to use.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:41 PM »
I thought Lead was now illegal to use.
Bare lead jigs, and sinkers yes, under the legal size limit. Painted Jigs regardless of any size are 100% fine.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Good not as bad as I realized . When all the stores went to Tungsten carbide I miss under stood.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.