Author Topic: Utv or snowmobile?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Utv or snowmobile?
« on: Nov 16, 2018, 07:15 AM »
If you could either have snowmobile or utv with tracks which would it be and why?  Would mostly used just for ice fishing.

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Utv or snowmobile?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2018, 07:27 AM »
As others have asked this question its all about where you will be using it and how you want to travel.  For me I use an ATV for early ice and a snowmobile for late ice and Canada. The answer for me would be if I could only have 1 I would have to have a snowmobile because the fishing I do in Canada would not allow a utv with tracks to get to the areas I fish.  A plus for me with a snowmobile is I can cover long distances in a short amount of time with a snowmobile.  A utv would be nice and warm but with tracks top speed I would guess would maybe be 25mph.  If your traveling 25-50 miles that would take a long time.  This is my 2 cents but as I said earlier it really depends on location and style of fishing.

luv2fish2

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Depends on $, also a tracked utv is prolly double the money of a brand new sled.There's lot's of variables as dsupercat said really kinda depends what your doing with it ( solo or one other person, how much snow do u encounter ? lot's of variable's ) . I've got a couple utility snowmobile's and a tracked wheeler and a max 6x6 they all have a time and place when one shines better than the others, fill in the blanks .

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2018, 12:02 PM »
I would get a UTV with tracks. Although I live in Syracuse and get a lot of snow and I can take my 4 wheeler out on the lakes without tracks with no problems. I also have a snowmobile and I will use the 4 wheeler the majority of the time. The other problem is a UTV with tracks is a heavy machine, as long as where you live gets plenty of ice I guess  thats not a problem. I see a lot of machines with tires and not to many with tracks, that may be telling.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2018, 12:34 PM »

I like my sled over my wheeler do to snow and the pressure cracks I cross ,
But they all have their place ,
  It’s all about personal preference

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2018, 01:25 PM »
I am guessing you don't get all that much snow in SE Kansas, a UTV with a hard cab and heater is hard to beat if you can get around with it.  I have one of everything, but if I had to make a choice for here in my part of Canada, it would be a snowmobile, hands down, a wide UTV would not get down a lot of the trails, and the tracks are only good in so deep of snow.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2018, 03:28 PM »
UTV with tracks would be my vote if you've got the means to swing it. It would be a year round use machine.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I have both and I'll say that the previous posters made some great points. My snosled is a 1991 but runs OK and my utv is a 2018. When I have to travel over 10 miles the sled gets me there a lot quicker. I usually leave the house on either rig meaning it is rare that I have to  trailer it. The SXS with tracks and full cab is 2,000 lbs + and would be a PITA to trailer for me. I have an ice shack, kinda heavy, the snosled can pull it in the right conditions. The SXS can pull it in any conditions. When the weather is bad, myself and my fishing gear stays dry in the SXS and it has a heater. My train of thought for getting tracks on the SXS was to be able to use the SXS year round cause riding ATV is big here in the summer and ice fishing is big in the winter. I wouldn't spend that kind of coin for a UTV only to use it in the winter, that's why my snosled is a 1991.
It must be something in the water.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2018, 05:51 AM »
I'm looking at getting a polaris ranger 570 crew cab and would eventually like to put tracks on it.  This would be used up on or northern trips.  Already have 4 wheelers for early ice just don't like taking my truck out on the ice.

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2018, 02:51 PM »
I'm looking at getting a polaris ranger 570 crew cab and would eventually like to put tracks on it.  This would be used up on or northern trips.  Already have 4 wheelers for early ice just don't like taking my truck out on the ice.

My advice would be if you plan on putting tracks on a ranger don't get the 570. the 570 will turn them but its underpowered for tracks in my opinion.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2018, 04:44 PM »
My advice would be if you plan on putting tracks on a ranger don't get the 570. the 570 will turn them but its underpowered for tracks in my opinion.
Not sure about others but, the Camso system is sold, designed and set up for the engine (power) of the particular machine.  The 570 would not be under powered - it would be slower (geared lower) than a the same machine with the 900.  I've seen them in use in both cases.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2018, 11:10 PM »
Not sure about others but, the Camso system is sold, designed and set up for the engine (power) of the particular machine.  The 570 would not be under powered - it would be slower (geared lower) than a the same machine with the 900.  I've seen them in use in both cases.

True statement !!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:43 AM »

100% agree with this. I own a 570 Sportsman with tracks and love it. The track set for the 570 UTV is set up for the UTV and would be a great machine.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:37 PM »
I see UTVs through the ice every year- they are the heaviest, and so the first to go in. They also encourage you to bring a lot of gear which is an expense and a hassle I don't need. When it is slushy, they sink way down, and most cabs won't keep you dry with water or slush roostertailing off all 4 wheels. For the cost, you could get several sleds, and for a set of tracks, several more.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:13 PM »
If you are mostly using it for ice fishing I would definitely go with the snowmobile. Even buying both new the snowmobile is probably about 1/2 the price of a new SXS. Snowmobile much faster on the snow, if you pull a sled you can haul all the gear you need easily.

Your own personal use is really the only determining factor (and cost) when selecting a machine for yourself.

SXS
Pro
year round use
depending on style room for 4
much warmer
Con
very expensive, even more so with tracks
not as fast as snowmobile
not able to get in as tight of areas
SXS just like driving a small SUV now, hardly seems like an outdoor machine.

Snowmobile
Pro
affordable
moves very quickly over snow
very easy to maneuver
true outdoor experience
easy to trailer/haul

Con
only winter use
only room for 1-2 riders
colder
limited carrying capacity without hauling sled. 
on a personal note, I think the snowmobiles are much more fun to ride/drive,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.