The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Cordless drills  (Read 6120 times)

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cordless drills
« on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Anyone try out the new Rigid Octane drill?  Claims 1300 in/lbs of torque. Special deal right now if you buy the 9 ah octane battery w/charger the drill (bare tool) is free. $199. Handle design is like Milwaukees old one though, which broke on me. And I see that Milwaukee has fixed that with thier new drills!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Cordless drills
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2018, 07:06 AM »
i got the kit. super nice kit, always look forward to what they make next and the bluetooth on the octane battery is handy and nice. feels strange to get a life time warranty on a free most powerful cordless drill in the world.
there's a few conversations in general chit chat section about it and in best ice fishing deals topic, same section.
the new chuck is really nice. has a strong 1st detente followed by not as strong detentes as they click in and get lighter the more of them you get from it.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Curious how good that lifetime warranty is

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2018, 08:26 AM »
very good warranty. best there is. i have quite a few ridgid tools and when i wanted batteries for an real old set using 24 volts they said no problem bring every thing you have made by ridgid and they would inspect and repair and replace any thing they found wearing out or that needed to be replaced. they gave me new batteries for other tools besides the ones i wanted just because ridgid changed the brand of cells they used in their packs. they replaced switches not worn out just because they will wear out. at zero cost to me.

i did decide to use a small private owned authorized service center because home depot (best place to buy ridgid or any tools or items because of their 90 day return policy) wanted to charge a 35$ deposit to handle their shipping and handling just in case the the problem isn't covered under warranty returnable after completion of repair if problem was covered under warranty.

some people are buying two battery kits and getting the free drill twice and then return the extra free drill to get 130$ back on second battery.

as you can seee the small shop method is far better in every way.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2018, 06:20 PM »
I am liking the Kobalt line of tools.  They are 24volt, and the batteries are cheap.
Lowes sells the batteries for $10 for the 1.5ah, $20 for the 2.0ah.  I use the
batteries for my 1/2 impact wrench for sockets too.  They will remove the lugs
off just about and car, truck, or atv in seconds.  These are the tools I will
replace my Makita drills, and all my other Makita battery tools. I love them.
I watch for the sales on Lowes.com and purchase them when I see the sales.
I might add the tools have a 5 year warranty and the batteries 3.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2018, 08:28 PM »
I am liking the Kobalt line of tools.  They are 24volt, and the batteries are cheap.
.          Do they work in the cold ??    Don’t matter how good and cheap they are, winter use takes its toll on most batteries, unless u want to keep them in a purse/with hand warmers. Milwaukee batteries seem to be the best in COLD weather !!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2018, 08:40 PM »
youll  really want lithium batteries with at least 4ah.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2018, 01:03 PM »
The Rigid is a great buy at $199 for 9 amp and free drill. However if you do end up with it or a Milwaukee 2804 I would strongly recommend the Clam plate. If not, you should look at the Milwaukee Mud Mixer. It is set up with handles to run an auger type bit without hurting the drill or yourself.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2018, 01:40 PM »
youll  really want lithium batteries with at least 4ah.

X2
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2018, 04:01 PM »
I don't use drills to cut holes.  I use a 50v Ion auger.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2018, 09:00 AM »

Good for you

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2018, 10:12 AM »

I suppose Kobalt drills are okay for day to day drill applications but they only rate at 650 in-lbs of torque, far behind the Milwaukee Fuel and Rigid drills and out of the running for

ice auger applications. You get what you pay for I suppose. Glad you have your ION. How are you using that power unit during the nine months out of the year when there is no

ice fishing in Maine?

fishing?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I suppose Kobalt drills are okay for day to day drill applications but they only rate at 650 in-lbs of torque, far behind the Milwaukee Fuel and Rigid drills and out of the running for

ice auger applications. You get what you pay for I suppose. Glad you have your ION. How are you using that power unit during the nine months out of the year when there is no

ice fishing in Maine?

fishing?

Based upon other "opinions" on this site...and I value yours as well...it also depends on auger size and type as to how much torque you need. I am running a Bosch 600 in.-lb, 4ah turning a 4" laser and have been "told" this would be plenty. And I have only use it outside of ice fishing on a few occasions. It's new and this season will be my first at using any type of drill so I'm about to find out if it is enough. ( I still have the auger handle  ;) )

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Based upon other "opinions" on this site...and I value yours as well...it also depends on auger size and type as to how much torque you need. I am running a Bosch 600 in.-lb, 4ah turning a 4" laser and have been "told" this would be plenty. And I have only use it outside of ice fishing on a few occasions. It's new and this season will be my first at using any type of drill so I'm about to find out if it is enough. ( I still have the auger handle  ;) )
My call would also be that you'll be fine with your Bosch spinning a 4" Lazer. Many guys are running 8" augers with their drills and an 8" hole requires moving four times as much

ice as a 4" hole requiring much higher torque. You shouldn't even need a Clam plate to control it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2018, 11:43 AM »
My call would also be that you'll be fine with your Bosch spinning a 4" Lazer. Many guys are running 8" augers with their drills and an 8" hole requires moving four times as much

ice as a 4" hole requiring much higher torque. You shouldn't even need a Clam plate to control it.

That's my plan...no Clam plate...and running it one-handed as I do a lot of hole hopping.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Makita hammer drill on a Strikemaster Lazer 6" with the swedish blades.  5aH batteries... I love it.  (welded up my own adapter/drop preventer)

Pending ice depth(1-2 feet)... I'm somewhere in the 30-40 holes per battery range here in Wisconsin.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2018, 04:41 PM »
I shouldn't have chimed in on this discussion,  I was merely trying to give some advice.
I will keep my thoughts to myself next time.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2018, 05:12 PM »
I shouldn't have chimed in on this discussion,  I was merely trying to give some advice.
you did good telling us kobalt works for you. thanks for the share!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2018, 05:42 PM »
. Don't let  people who  think what they own or use is the only " right " tool for the job, if what you have works for you, great! That's all that matters in the end.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2018, 05:44 PM »
i used the kobalt drills to turn a 6 and 8 inch nils.  Worked great for both, obviously less hole with the 8 inch, i have 3 2 amp batteries and it works out pretty well.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:21 AM »

I have been using a Kobolt drill with the 4amp battery for two years. Just add a Clam Plate.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2018, 01:15 PM »
My buddy runs the kolbolt drill on a 7" Mora, goes good but had a little struggle with the 8.  I have a kdrill so I can open up the holes under my shack and I thought it may struggle with that. I simply went with the Fuel cause it was highest torque rating. I'm curious now if the ne handle holds up better. I got the fuel pinched in my opening with my 8" Mora. It's all fixed now.

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2018, 11:19 AM »
FedEx just dropped off my new Octane with 9ah battery. It seems to be quite a weapon. Quite a few features I like and as far as the handle durability...we shall see....Its a serious upgrade from the Brushed 20v Porter-Cables that have been driving my 8" nils to date. Time and ice will tell I guess

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Has anyone ever attempted using an impact driver with the clam plate?

Home Depot has the Rigid combo kit on sale, with a free tool or battery to boot. Comes with drill (700 in./lbs.) that will probably do okay with the plate + 6" Mora and impact driver (2,250 in./lbs.) which is overkill but good to know if that would be okay for 8" or the rare 10" auger with the plate

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2018, 12:12 PM »

Home Depot has the Rigid combo kit on sale, with a free tool or battery to boot. Comes with drill (700 in./lbs.) that will probably do okay with the plate + 6" Mora and impact driver (2,250 in./lbs.) which is overkill but good to know if that would be okay for 8" or the rare 10" auger with the plate

You don't want to use an impactor to drill ice. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2018, 12:17 PM »

.         I used a 725”# Milwaukee drill for 3 yrs with a 6 “ lazer and worked great, had a clam plate. Upgraded, sold to a friend who still uses it

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2018, 12:20 PM »
I use the Rigid Gen 5x 650 lb torque drill with 4ah batteries (you can get 2 4ah batteries for $99.) on a 6" orange nils.

hot knife through butter. used it in 20 inches of ice...2 batteries lasted all day...no idea how many holes...never paid attention.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2018, 01:08 PM »
Thanks all for the info/feedback. Much appreciated!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:00 PM »

Not at all, Downeaster.  There are some interesting new electric augers.  Even though the topic is cordless drills
(and I know their intent), but your Ion is cordless drill.
BTW.  Have you seen the new 120V auger?

High torque cordless drills, no clam plate, and sticky bits create all kinds of hand/wrist/arm issues.
JMHO

MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.