The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: dang... not looking good.  (Read 6568 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: dang... not looking good.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:01 PM »
I fired up the coal stove for the season this past weekend and from the looks of the temps we're supposed to be getting it'll be burning from now until the end of winter. 

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2018, 07:35 AM »
I have high hopes for the season. I was prepping gear over this past weekend as it was a washout for archery hunting.

Offline Rcott717

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2018, 10:23 AM »
All the reports I've seen say long and cold winter.  Farmers Almanac says the same for what that's worth.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2018, 06:50 PM »
That's good news in my book.

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2018, 01:43 PM »

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I don’t know if I’d trust a forecast from a MILLERSVILLE weather guy!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2018, 06:46 PM »
I was without power for the last 3 days from the ice storm that blew through . If that's any indication of this coming winter , I'd say we're in for a lot of ice fishing time . :blink: :clap: :icefish:

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:05 PM »
 The past 4-5 years I've spent more time on my buddies boat than on the ice down here in SE PA.... These 3 week seasons are getting old !

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline qcbowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Up here (Quebec), we know how to predict the upcoming winter. Here's how it all started...

The idian chief looked at all the signes, wooly bears, mouse nests, onion peels, beaver huts, everything and predicted a very harsh winter so he informed the tribe. Immediately, they began preparing and mostly chopping enough firewood. When they thought they had enough wood, they went back to the chief and asked if they had gathered enough wood, the chief said no... we need more!

So they gathererd more wood and again came to the chief thinking they had enough. Again, the chief said No, we need much more to last this long cold winter coming very soon. So they gathered yet again more wood. They had LOTS of firewood so again, off to see the chief. Surely this time he would agree that enough is enough...

The chief looked at all the wood and a feeling of doubt came over him. Had he pushed the tribe too hard? Was the winter really going to be that long and cold? He had been right before, but this time, he wasn't sure. So he decided to ask for another opinion and called the Weather Network. He asked them what kind of winter they predicted. The answer was a definite loooong and cooold winter straight ahead. He was relieved but curious as to how they could make such a strong prediction so he asked the man. He said "well, it's very easy and surefire, we look at what the local indians are doing and this year, they are gathering wood like never before!

By the way, we don't worry about getting ice or not, we have three feet... every year.

;D ;)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:16 AM »
That's nice but this is PA, we're right on the ice belt line. Sometimes we have to guess from county to county where the ice might be safe and sometimes lake to lake in a single county. Last year we started out great with record cold and the ice grew fast. Then half way through the winter it was 65° and the ice started rotting.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Yep , and I wait till I see the first brave souls out on the ice before I even consider walking out . This old man isn't going swimming in November . But , I'll definitely do my best to help rescue someone .

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 18, 2018, 10:40 AM »
My guess is someone will be out by the end of next week. ::) It will be at elevation (think Mt. Pocono or similar) and probably a smallish pond or lake that is protected from the wind. I however, will not be driving two hours to fish on 2" of clear ice; waiting for the call when it hits 4.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:02 PM »
My guess is someone will be out by the end of next week. ::) It will be at elevation (think Mt. Pocono or similar) and probably a smallish pond or lake that is protected from the wind. I however, will not be driving two hours to fish on 2" of clear ice; waiting for the call when it hits 4.
Van you can call me anytime  :thumbsup:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 18, 2018, 09:49 PM »
I'm lucky to get myself on some of the lakes up North and usually am not in the position to bring a guest. That said I'm looking forward to fishing Hopewell this year and maybe I'll try to get to Ontelaunee; haven't been in a couple years. If only I knew someone that could find the "sunken bridge."   ;)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:51 AM »
It’s looking better and better! Maybe that Millersville guy knows something after all!  ;)

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/2018-11-14-late-november-winter-temperature-outlook-the-weather-company/

Where's the FISH?!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Bring on the ICE!!!
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Here ya go Van .

But there is one magnificent bridge still under the water. Engineers decided to leave the famed Four-Arch Stone Bridge at Berkley intact, Meiser said. The bridge, which is 22 feet wide and 311 feet long, is in the middle of the lake, about a half-mile from the parking areas at Route 73.

The article also stated , in dry seasons the bridge can actually be seen above the water .

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:27 AM »
First I'll start with it is looking good; some frigid weather coming this week; especially at elevation.
 The location thing (sunken bridge) was a joke since Capt. C. already knows where it is.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:24 AM »
 Wonder what happens when DEP condemns that dam as a high hazard (kind of surprised they haven't yet).

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 19, 2018, 04:30 PM »
The past 4-5 years I've spent more time on my buddies boat than on the ice down here in SE PA.... These 3 week seasons are getting old !

Ya buddy.
I'm GUNNA buy a rabbit dog next spring and hunt rabbits instead of icefishing.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Ya buddy.
I'm GUNNA buy a rabbit dog next spring and hunt rabbits instead of icefishing.

I can't believe you're going to give up ice fishing.  If you do who is Ruttnutt and I going to have to bust on?

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:21 AM »
It’s looking better and better! Maybe that Millersville guy knows something after all!  ;)

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/2018-11-14-late-november-winter-temperature-outlook-the-weather-company/

Rumnutt the guy is pretty good. Shallow ponds by me have a skim of ice on top.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Good luck to you guys tomorrow on your opener. 😎

RuttNutt, I can taste the deer dogs now!😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Eyemadness354

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 01, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Got the brand new eskimo wide one inferno put together put the Rods in the augers blades are changed and the Marcum m1 is charged up.. the weather is starting to look very good for us to cap over the lakes and start building some ice I'm hoping by Christmas to be on some ice I've had local ponds froze over numerous times already.. come on cold temps we are getting itchy here in pa hahaha... 

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:45 AM »
all I know the water temps are a lot colder for beginning of December than the last few years. had some ice on small ponds last week. last I checked this week here on out looks good, extended forecast looks mild than long range temps get cold near end of the month. I just want a good artic blast and stay at least moderately cold to build ice, no me of this cold warm cold warm that doesnt set up the bigger lakes well

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Before we got all the rain last Monday and relatively warm temps the few days after a bunch of lakes in my area were capped over and some still are except for the edges.  I think with the cold temps it'll start making ice pretty quick and if things hold the way they are now we might be out on small lakes or ponds next weekend.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:47 PM »
I just drove over lake Arthur today on 422 . Not an ounce of ice to be seen . But , I'm still gathering up a few new tools for this year , so I could use some extra time to get ready .

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:39 AM »
18° this morning on my drive in to work. I hope we're done with the rain! I got 2 weeks off before Christmas and I'm hoping to spend most of it walking on water!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:55 AM »
Always wanted to try Allegheny Reservoir for ice fishing... anybody have any experiences, stories, tips, suggestions??

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:37 PM »
18° this morning on my drive in to work. I hope we're done with the rain! I got 2 weeks off before Christmas and I'm hoping to spend most of it walking on water!

Spider I hope your spending it on the ice not the water! If the rain holds off in two weeks we might be in luck.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.