Author Topic: Bait puck mods?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait puck mods?
« on: Aug 18, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Okay, after writing this I realize that this level of OCD, even among individuals on an ice fishing board in August, could be viewed as bit extreme…..LOL, I apologize!

I usually put down my rod, retrieve bait puck from pocket, unscrew the bait puck (takes two hands), balance lid on my knee, retrieve waxie, put waxie on my knee, close bait puck, and then bait my hook. It is an awkward procedure, and very inefficient.

I’ve considered permanently mounting a bait puck in my flip-over, but even though the puck is insulated, the waxies seem to stay fresher when I keep it in my pocket. I move around a lot, and don’t typically run a heater in the shack.

So, I’m looking for a way to temporarily mount a bait puck that will also allow easy one hand opening.
Has anyone solved this dilemma? A different bait container? Epoxying rare earth magnets to the bottom of the bait puck?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait puck mods?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Velcro is to something.  Then attach the cap to the base with some sort of a cord so it can hang instead of being balanced on your knee

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:06 AM »
to help with temp stress you should try to keep them at your refrigerators temp. this means the puck is insulated to help with sudden temp changes, but also keeping it close to your body helps keep the temp from dropping too low.

it takes two hands to bait a hook, so not sure that making a one handed bait puck will do much for ice fishing unless your in a heated area. if that's the case, then leave the lid loose enough to be able to use one hand to open it and lave it mounted while your heating the air the bait is in..
i keep mine in a pocket so it gets heat from my body.

magnets weigh more, so velcro sounds better if you want it mounted and detachable. if your really ocd, you could put velcro on your bib leg and puck to make it one handed while seated and then return them to your pocket.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:38 AM »
They make squeeze top top canisters that you can open with one hand.

Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Containers-Squeezies-Squeeze-Plastic-Prescription/dp/B00MNUSCT6?th=1&psc=1

Something like that may help. I’d just Velcro it to whatever you want.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2018, 06:13 PM »
My clam Kenia has a corner shelf in it, it comes in handy for keeping stuff within reach. i'm thinking of going the velcro route for my bait puck.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2018, 04:53 AM »

Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Containers-Squeezies-Squeeze-Plastic-Prescription/dp/B00MNUSCT6?th=1&psc=1

I have "cups" like these that are about half as tall. I punched a small hole in the container near the top and another one in the lid near the edge and ran a small zip-tie through the holes to connect. Still takes 2 hands to bait the hook but I no longer have to worry about the lid blowing across the ice.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2018, 08:05 AM »
 Open puck place Wax Worn between your lips put puck away then bait hook. Remember not to swallow.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Okay, after writing this I realize that this level of OCD, even among individuals on an ice fishing board in August, could be viewed as bit extreme…..LOL, I apologize!

I usually put down my rod, retrieve bait puck from pocket, unscrew the bait puck (takes two hands), balance lid on my knee, retrieve waxie, put waxie on my knee, close bait puck, and then bait my hook. It is an awkward procedure, and very inefficient.

I’ve considered permanently mounting a bait puck in my flip-over, but even though the puck is insulated, the waxies seem to stay fresher when I keep it in my pocket. I move around a lot, and don’t typically run a heater in the shack.

So, I’m looking for a way to temporarily mount a bait puck that will also allow easy one hand opening.
Has anyone solved this dilemma? A different bait container? Epoxying rare earth magnets to the bottom of the bait puck?

Thanks,
Mark

Look for an old Lindy grub getter. I have one and wish they still made them. Not sure why they quit making them. It's a clear yellow material. The lid hinges, and down the center of it is a wall with holes so you can sift the saw dust and waxies apart to get a waxy. Since the lid is hinged no need to balance it on your leg.

Simply sift worms, flip open, pick waxie with other hand. Flip it crap. Put in pocket. Bait hook.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2018, 10:00 PM »

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Go plastics, you'll never go back  ;D

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Go plastics, you'll never go back  ;D

There are so many plastics though............  Waxies or spikes are very simple
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2018, 02:36 PM »

These from Amazon are about the same size as the bait-puck. simply squeeze the outside diameter and the outer shell pops up. 3/$8 Amazon

Leave Some For Seed

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I have always just grabbed empty chew cans from guys that chew. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2018, 08:25 PM »

They work, but crush if u sit on them. Bait pucks.....well u could drive over them and be good yet.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Velcro on bottom of puck and frame of flipover....has prevented me from spilling my puck quite a few times.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2018, 09:29 PM »

If you get on a real hot bite just throw in a dip of wax worms and you're almost hands-free the next couple fish ;D

Offline MimiCat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Velcro on bottom of puck and frame of flipover....has prevented me from spilling my puck quite a few times.

My solution as well! Velcro to the frame or sled of the shelter, then you can undo the lid without losing bait on the one-knee balance.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Velcro around my thigh right above my knee and a piece of it attached to the bottom of the bait puck works for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.