The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Trucks???  (Read 6144 times)

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trucks???
« Reply #60 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:28 AM »
dads tundra is a few years older than yours, frame replaced about 7 years ago, hitting 230000 miles now, pretty much just did brakes and a steering box and tires, yours has alot more miles left. my 89 dodge dakota with the convertible roof will be upgraded with a mid 2000 hummer h2 ;D no way im buying a new truck at todays prices. youngest guy in my shop bought a 3/4 ton dodge diesel last year for 65k, thats just nuts. when they replaced your frame they probably replaced all the lines as well, you could always keep driving it while making monthly car payments to the savings account. my 89 is the last vehicle i will buy new ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:44 AM »
dads tundra is a few years older than yours, frame replaced about 7 years ago, hitting 230000 miles now, pretty much just did brakes and a steering box and tires, yours has alot more miles left. my 89 dodge dakota with the convertible roof will be upgraded with a mid 2000 hummer h2 ;D no way im buying a new truck at todays prices. youngest guy in my shop bought a 3/4 ton dodge diesel last year for 65k, thats just nuts. when they replaced your frame they probably replaced all the lines as well, you could always keep driving it while making monthly car payments to the savings account. my 89 is the last vehicle i will buy new ;D

A lot of truth in what you say.   No way will I ever pay more for a vehicle than I paid for my house! :o ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2017, 04:23 PM »
Very interesting.  I assume they think they can get away with that small of an engine because of the body weight difference?  Wonder how this tin can stands up in a crash! :o  6.5 ' bed snag?
its not just aluminum its a alloy. at the dealer they have a display where they did a dent test side by side with the competitions steel. they were the same. now real world i don't know and hope to never find out. the 2.7l has less lag and is more powerful than my 4.3l v6 in my 2 chevys .has better traction too which i can't figure why as it 770lbs. lighter than the chevy.  i pulled my sled and trailer and don't even notice. i did with my other trucks. i wasn't keen on that small of a engine either  but its those turbos that make the difference. try one . you'll see what i mean.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:13 PM »
The quality of the newer vehicles is terrible. Designed well, but cheap materials and poor assembly.
   They are one half dozen or the other IMHO.
 If it was me, I would go test drive each brand , talk turkey,  WITHOUT  getting committed, and make a decision from there. 
   The main thing in my mind is not altering the vehicle in a way that could void the warrantee,  as so many of the new trucks develop some 'issue' to be addressed.
     Hold the dealership service department accountable and follow through , because part of the business model has become pacifying the customer and avoidance of repairs if possible.
    Make sure all service related issues are documented.
  When push comes to shove, just like an insurance policy,  if they can find an excuse to wiggle out of a warrantee repair, in my experience they will.

X2  Been having some "fun" with a local dealer who claims a window operates properly when it descends into the door when pulling the switch to go up.  Fortunately I purchased a make whose manufacturer prides themselves on quality.  That dealer's service department will have egg on its face when I bring to another dealership and report back to manufacturer, whose offices are now engaged in my complaint. 

We pay too much for our vehicles these days to allow these guys to wiggle off the hook.

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:01 PM »
2012 Dodge ram 1500, 5.7v8 15mpg

Ecotoot can't speak for, ram with the 3.0 ecodeisel 22 mpg combined.
I don't do drugs or bottles... fishing takes all my money!

Offline snag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Very interesting.  I assume they think they can get away with that small of an engine because of the body weight difference?  Wonder how this tin can stands up in a crash! :o  6.5 ' bed snag?

Yes the body weight difference and the twin turbo.  As far as the bed is concerned ford makes that truck with all three bed options 5.5, 6.5, 8  if they don't have one at the dealer have them track one down or see what kind of deal they will give you. I wanted the bigger bed they diden't have one.  The wound up giving me a XLT Sport fully loaded for $10,000 less than the XL that they were gonna have to track down or order. My Honda foreman 500 fits in it just fine with the tail gate down.  I will say i do miss my bigger bed but with full over cab rack and the fact that Hancock lumber delivers to my job sites i have learned to live with the 5.5' bed.

Offline whiteraven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Nov 08, 2018, 08:05 PM »
What do you think about sedans? As for me, I heard this kind of cars is famous by its high-quality and long service life. I'm sure it's true otherwise sedans couldn't be so popular among drivers. For example, I am the owner of old Honda sedan. Besides it, I'm going to buy the new thing most likely Hyundai Verna. Firstly, it looks amazing. Secondly, Hyundai is famous by powerful cars. So, I hope to get a high-speed and hardy car instead my old Honda. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.