The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Trucks???  (Read 6137 times)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trucks???
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:07 PM »
Two Family members have Toyotas One has a Tundra one has his second Tacoma, they have had rust issues which have been resolved I think a Tundra would be my next choice because of the way Dealers have treated them with these issues. The one with the Tundra plans to update soon to another.I think He will make the right choice.

Offline mitchell.farren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:34 AM »
I've been pretty curious about the Ram half ton diesel edition. MPG looks great.

I have had a Ram 1500 with the 3.0 liter eco diesel engine for a year and a half.  Nice little truck. Not super powerful, but tows every thing I need it to without any problem (four wheeler, ice shack, lobster traps etc.) Pretty consistent 25-27 mpg.  That quickly drops when towing any amount.  I got the truck in September, and they were offering 8-10k off sticker price incentives.  I know they ran the same deal this past year as well.  Its worth shopping around and waiting the right time of year for deals like that. 

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:51 AM »
If I had to buy a new truck right now I'd get a Tundra.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04:47 AM »
That's the thing, in my current tundra the back seats are just as big as the front, much bigger than some of the rear cabs on other makes.  I have teens now, smaller back seat won't do it.  Price of these things is almost as much as I paid for my house. :-\

One thing in your favor, with a rec director salary money is no object!  @)

Offline fishmoresurfless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:35 AM »
Tundra all the way!  My '08 is the best vehicle I've ever owned.  If I only put 110,000 miles on a 13 year old vehicle, gas mileage wouldn't be my first concern.  Not sure about the newer ones, but the older 5.7's actually got better gas mileage than the smaller engines.  Double cab still has a 6.5 ft bed and has plenty of room as well as normal opening back doors. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:36 AM »
Thanks guys, I have until the end of April to decide, figure start now, like I said, I won't be forced into any one thing, I only put 8,000 miles a year on so if I can't find the vehicle / deal I want the old Tundra will receive it's fourth final set of tires and I will put a little money into it. 

I just can't believe that 5'5" doesn't bug you guys (other than white squall ;D).

Keep the suggestions coming, 25 mpg with a pickup seems awesome. @)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:59 AM »
I'm not trying to be flippant but I'd ask myself what am I using the truck for?  Are you beating it up and down woods roads, towing, or just hauling?  IMHO, 8K miles a year isn't a lot especially if you are't towing boats and trailers, on dirt roads, driving through beaver ponds, or the like. Also, 110K on a Toy isn't overly high.  I keep hearing about all these trucks that get XX miles per gallon.  In the driveway at work, we have Ford, Toyota, Dodge, and Chevy.  All of very recent vintage (mine is the oldest at an 2011).  Not a single one of them gets over 20 mpg.  My son has a 2015 Tundra.  Big truck with ****ty gas mileage.  Just an FYI, my father has a 2 door, 4 cylinder, standard transmission, 4x4 Tacoma and gets 22-24 mpg on the highway on long trips.  21 around town tops.  That is a small, light truck that isn't getting used very hard.

As much as I love spending your money, I'd put new tires and maybe a few $$ into your known reliable Tundra and rock on.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:19 AM »
I am making the assumption that your Tundra is paid for.  If so, you can buy a lot of gas and make a lot of repairs for the equivalent of a monthly payment on an new one; and like others have said, 110,000 miles on a Toyota is barely broken in. 

With that said, I drive 2 Fords; a 2011 F-150 Crew Cab (company truck), and a 2013 F-150 Extended Cab (personal truck).  They each have the 5.0 L engine and both get about 17.5-18.5 mpg depending on the time of year, etc.  I love the crew cab for hauling people, but the shorter bed wouldn't work so well for me personally.  Knock on wood, they've both been good so far.  For full disclosure, I should mention that my wife works for a Ford dealership :).

It may be less of an issue for you folks in the balmy south; but service is definitely a consideration for us up here.  The nearest Toyota dealer is an hour away, and the nearest Nissan dealer is 3 hours away - not convenient for warranty or recall work.  Service after the sale is huge for me, so if you have a dealer you can trust, that might help tip the scale. 

Not sure this helps, but good luck!

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:20 AM »
What JDK said...for what you spend on a truck you can buy a nice boat with all the fising gear you could want and have enough left for decent sled or wheeler, and probably more.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:46 AM »
What JDK said...for what you spend on a truck you can buy a nice boat with all the fising gear you could want and have enough left for decent sled or wheeler, and probably more.

I'm a practical guy, I have driven this thing for "free" the last 8 years.  My wife changed jobs last year and we had to buy her a vehicle since the company car was gone.  She put over 40k on that thing in one year so we were thinking if I got something more reliable we could use more for family use and keep some miles perhaps off hers.  The notion of having to but new vehicles every 3-4 years sucks.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:41 AM »
It may be less of an issue for you folks in the balmy south; but service is definitely a consideration for us up here.  The nearest Toyota dealer is an hour away, and the nearest Nissan dealer is 3 hours away - not convenient for warranty or recall work.  Service after the sale is huge for me, so if you have a dealer you can trust, that might help tip the scale. 

As Mark knows, my mechanic is on speed dial, right next to the liquor store and anger management hotline.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:45 AM »

I just can't believe that 5'5" doesn't bug you guys (other than white squall ;D).

It would drive me nuts. I had one truck with a 6.5' bed and it drove me nuts. It was the only truck I kept for less than 5 years. I sold it after 4 months and went back to an 8' bed. I would switch to a 10' bed if anyone made one. Imagine putting a snowmoblie in the bed and closing the tailgate.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:47 AM »
As Mark knows, my mechanic is on speed dial, right next to the liquor store and anger management hotline.

I read this fast Jay and thought it said auger management hotline. ;D

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:51 AM »
I read this fast Jay and thought it said auger management hotline. ;D

Have the number???

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:50 AM »
Jay's mechanic always seems to be driving a new truck.  I wonder why ::)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Jay's mechanic always seems to be driving a new truck.  I wonder why ::)

The guy could break a crowbar, (and probably has) that's why! ;D

Offline C.Tripp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:59 AM »
chevy you can get 5.5' or 6.5' with the crew cab and is a full seat

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:18 AM »
My father and I went threw the same thing this fall. He owns the company and I needed to replace the Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. It only has 109,000 miles and it being used daily by me. I plow, haul a T190 tracked Bobcat skid steer and a Komatsu PC120 excavator around in my spare time.
We ended up with a Ford F350 Super Duty 6.0 gas for $31,000 out the door with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. I only have to change the oil. I still haven't put it in service yet, it is sitting beside the chicken coop in the pasture. I don't want to get it dirty yet.... ;D
Check with Ford and I am not loyal to any one brand. I have a 1990 Chevy short bed with a brand new 462 Big Block ready for summer.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:35 AM »
I know a guy who has a titan and it has 260000 plus miles. It's been real solid for him he's never had any issues. I think it's an 08.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Had a Chevy, nothing but problems and GM was terrible to deal with. Have a Tundra now, no complaints other than the gas mileage. Never been a dodge guy, but have been in a couple new ones recently and they sure ride nice. I'm sure your wife will get the final decision no matter what  ;)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I’m fairly rough on my trucks but try to get 10 years out of them. I bought my last truck new in 2003, a base model GMC 1500. It lasted 9 years & about 140k. I could probably still be driving it had I wanted to screw around with repairs & tires. However, it was needing serious attention in January 2012. Rather than miss any ice fishing trips I stopped in the yota dealership on my way home from an ice fishing trip. Drove home that night with a 2012 double cab tundra.
It’s been a decent truck but frankly, I’ve been underwhelmed…
As some note, the mileage is bad, 12-13mpg (<10 if towing).  That doesn’t bother me much- someone driving 12k a year would save about $75 per month if they went from 12-13 to 21mpg over 5 years. My bigger issue around gas is the itsy bitsy tank size. Mine is 26 gallon but shows empty at 21… I get a 300 mile range which is unacceptable. I understand they are offering a 30 or 33 gallon tank now. 
Engine noise in cabin is drastically louder than the Ford, Dodge, or GMC/Chevy. My father has a 2012 Dodge, he can’t get over how much quieter his is. He likes his first dodge (ford guy) and it is nice.
Accelerator is touchy & difficult to get used to.  Your wife’s whiplash curing skills may come in handy.
Paint scratches extremely easily. It also dents easier but kinda pop out easier as well. 
The effn lighters, USBs, etc do not charge when the key is off. This one kills me because it would take approximately 2 years for a phone charging to drain a battery that is never started. For those of us with camps (Real camps, no power) find keeping phone alive can be a hassle.  Yes, you can buy this & that but c’mon man!
A pita to change the oil (If you do it) due to a skid plate, which others may have. It also needs a special wrench since it’s a cartridge… about $30 for a good wrench. 
I don’t find its been any more reliable than my old GMC. Of course I’m just getting to the point things may start failing.  Twice it’s kind of locked in 4wd. Can’t get it out, starts flashing warnings that don’t sound good about limp mode. Dealer found nothing wrong. :-/ I broke a part up front that LOOKS way more rugged than the Ford/GMC (I said I was rough on equipment but doing 70 on paper roads should be considered normal).
On the bright side the front end, frame & other parts are beefier than the competitors until you get to their HD’s. Mine is a double cab, more room than in the competitors. I drove a new GMC recently & the seating felt odd, Yota seats sits up higher off floor or something.   
Anyone ever hear of NUMMI? Where Yota & GM partnered? They created the Toyota Aztek I think it was & the exact same car was the Pontiac Matrix. The only difference was the badging. I don’t recall the exact numbers but without exception the Toyota scored higher on reliability, cost to run, satisfaction, everything. The same car, same plant. My point is, some folks just think it’s better because it’s a Toyota and you won’t change minds. 
All that said, I’d do what someone above said, test drive them all. I really liked that GMC and would probably lean that way. But yota would certainly be in the running. Fords should never rust again, right?
Do you need new, even if you get 8-10k off sticker, your taxes are based on the big numba. Just don’t make any snap decisions like Jay buying the first boat he saw.   
Hopefully I try the tundra with chains this weekend. ;-) Yes, it took me 6 hours at work to write this up. Exhausting, can I go home now?   
You bought a tundra Dave!?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:53 PM »
I’m fairly rough on my trucks but try to get 10 years out of them. I bought my last truck new in 2003, a base model GMC 1500. It lasted 9 years & about 140k. I could probably still be driving it had I wanted to screw around with repairs & tires. However, it was needing serious attention in January 2012. Rather than miss any ice fishing trips I stopped in the yota dealership on my way home from an ice fishing trip. Drove home that night with a 2012 double cab tundra.
It’s been a decent truck but frankly, I’ve been underwhelmed…
As some note, the mileage is bad, 12-13mpg (<10 if towing).  That doesn’t bother me much- someone driving 12k a year would save about $75 per month if they went from 12-13 to 21mpg over 5 years. My bigger issue around gas is the itsy bitsy tank size. Mine is 26 gallon but shows empty at 21… I get a 300 mile range which is unacceptable. I understand they are offering a 30 or 33 gallon tank now. 
Engine noise in cabin is drastically louder than the Ford, Dodge, or GMC/Chevy. My father has a 2012 Dodge, he can’t get over how much quieter his is. He likes his first dodge (ford guy) and it is nice.
Accelerator is touchy & difficult to get used to.  Your wife’s whiplash curing skills may come in handy.
Paint scratches extremely easily. It also dents easier but kinda pop out easier as well. 
The effn lighters, USBs, etc do not charge when the key is off. This one kills me because it would take approximately 2 years for a phone charging to drain a battery that is never started. For those of us with camps (Real camps, no power) find keeping phone alive can be a hassle.  Yes, you can buy this & that but c’mon man!
A pita to change the oil (If you do it) due to a skid plate, which others may have. It also needs a special wrench since it’s a cartridge… about $30 for a good wrench. 
I don’t find its been any more reliable than my old GMC. Of course I’m just getting to the point things may start failing.  Twice it’s kind of locked in 4wd. Can’t get it out, starts flashing warnings that don’t sound good about limp mode. Dealer found nothing wrong. :-/ I broke a part up front that LOOKS way more rugged than the Ford/GMC (I said I was rough on equipment but doing 70 on paper roads should be considered normal).
On the bright side the front end, frame & other parts are beefier than the competitors until you get to their HD’s. Mine is a double cab, more room than in the competitors. I drove a new GMC recently & the seating felt odd, Yota seats sits up higher off floor or something.   
Anyone ever hear of NUMMI? Where Yota & GM partnered? They created the Toyota Aztek I think it was & the exact same car was the Pontiac Matrix. The only difference was the badging. I don’t recall the exact numbers but without exception the Toyota scored higher on reliability, cost to run, satisfaction, everything. The same car, same plant. My point is, some folks just think it’s better because it’s a Toyota and you won’t change minds. 
All that said, I’d do what someone above said, test drive them all. I really liked that GMC and would probably lean that way. But yota would certainly be in the running. Fords should never rust again, right?
Do you need new, even if you get 8-10k off sticker, your taxes are based on the big numba. Just don’t make any snap decisions like Jay buying the first boat he saw.   
Hopefully I try the tundra with chains this weekend. ;-) Yes, it took me 6 hours at work to write this up. Exhausting, can I go home now?   

Thanks Paul - how I ended up with the tundra in 2004 was just as you suggest, tried them all and didn't even realize Toyota made a full size double cab (1st year) until I saw it on the lot.  It's been a great vehicle, kind of feel with the new frame (recall) it's "newer" than it really is.  We'll see, appreciate everyone's input.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:48 PM »

Deal was too good to pass up when I was in the market. Good friend had the same truck as you with under 60k miles he was trading in to buy another brand new one. He went and got price for what they were giving him as a trade and sold it to me for that.

I second what you say on the dents. Seems to dent and scratch super easy (rhino lining the entire thing shortly though). I only got to pound mine around the north maine woods for one fall, but seemed to hold together fine up there, better than the Chevy did any way.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:09 PM »
^Really rough on trucks.  @)
I looked into rhino lining the whole thing last summer. I almost fainted at the price- $6k. No thanks.   
Congrats on the new toy.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:03 PM »

I have always liked the Chevy and gmc...last year I wanted a ram eco-diesel so bad because of the fuel economy. They were hard to find and pricey, but my mind was made that I was gonna trade my 2013 gmc in for one. I test drove one and I hated it... It didn't feel like a truck to me, sat way too low to the ground and very little power. It was set up like a car in my opinion. Ended up leaving with a ram 3500 double cab.... Go figure at about 15 mpg. So far, my first dodge, and my favorite truck I have ever owned. I love the darn thing.

But I agree on the fit and finish of the newer vehicles... Not as it used to be.

Bottom line... Test drive, it will make up your mind for you.

Jason
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:29 PM »
just leased a 2016 ford f150 ext cab. had a '09 and '14 chevy before. its has the 2.7 l double turbo in it . this truck is a hell of a lot better than my 2 chevys both of which had the 4.3l v6 in them. get 24 hwy 20 city. this truck is so smooth and nice riding compared to my chevys. aluminum panels and bed mean you don't have to worry about rust. the cab is big enough for 4 adults. no need for a quad cab. mines got a 6.5ft bed. both salesmen at pelltiers auto in ft. kent have the same truck and love it! I've driven to portland 6hrs and never got fatigued like in my chevys. actually went there to lease a dodge but was sold once i drove the ford. test drive one and you'll see what i mean.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:45 PM »
I have the 13 Ford with ECO BOOST.... Not a true fan.... hate the Turbo lag..... Plus a couple years pounding the dirt roads, like Paul said.... At 70.... has started tom take it toll on her... But I also had 2 Fords prior to this one and loved them...
I've been looking at the Dodge... But we will see when the time comes.

Offline snag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:02 AM »
I run a 2016 f-150 super crew with the 2.7 eco boost.  No complaints so far, it gets 20mpg around town and 24ish on the highway.  Its quick and will tow just under 8,000 pounds total weight.  Every thing i have towed with it dose not seem to bother it, boats, cars, a truck, some smaller equipment...etc. Check them out the body's are all aluminum so no rust.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I have the 13 Ford with ECO BOOST.... Not a true fan.... hate the Turbo lag..... Plus a couple years pounding the dirt roads, like Paul said.... At 70.... has started tom take it toll on her... But I also had 2 Fords prior to this one and loved them...
I've been looking at the Dodge... But we will see when the time comes.
the new ones don't have a lag. you punch it , its right there! more responsive than both my chevys. maybe its the 2nd turbo. my bros a mechanic in ct. said he's never seen major issues with this engine or tranny. said its one of the more reliable trucks out there. we'll see!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:50 AM »
I run a 2016 f-150 super crew with the 2.7 eco boost.  No complaints so far, it gets 20mpg around town and 24ish on the highway.  Its quick and will tow just under 8,000 pounds total weight.  Every thing i have towed with it dose not seem to bother it, boats, cars, a truck, some smaller equipment...etc. Check them out the body's are all aluminum so no rust.

Very interesting.  I assume they think they can get away with that small of an engine because of the body weight difference?  Wonder how this tin can stands up in a crash! :o  6.5 ' bed snag?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.