The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Trucks???  (Read 6135 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Trucks???
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Time to call it a career for the 2004 Tundra crew cab this spring and in the market for another crew.  The tundra has been great to me but wondering what else is out there that might give me a little better gas mileage.  I hear lots about the Ford eco boost and the Dodge getting 20 plus mpg, not sure reality or just hype.  One thing I see poking around the net is most of the crews only seem to have a 5'6" bed now whereas my old Tundra crew has a 6'6" bed, that foot makes a difference.  GMC's seem expensive but look pretty sharp.  Haul boats and snowmobiles half a dozen times a year so doesn't have to be the most powerful thing on the planet.  Welcome all thoughts and opinions, not loyal to a brand, thanks guys. :tipup:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trucks???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Just picked up a 2017 Chevy half ton 4x4 a few months ago, it's a regular cab shorty but getting around 21 mpg with the 5.3 v8, 6 speed auto and towing package with steep gears. Technology is a beautiful thing... My first truck (73 chevy) had half the horsepower, half the gears and got 8 mpg....
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:09 PM »
The quality of the newer vehicles is terrible. Designed well, but cheap materials and poor assembly.
   They are one half dozen or the other IMHO.
 If it was me, I would go test drive each brand , talk turkey,  WITHOUT  getting committed, and make a decision from there. 
   The main thing in my mind is not altering the vehicle in a way that could void the warrantee,  as so many of the new trucks develop some 'issue' to be addressed.
     Hold the dealership service department accountable and follow through , because part of the business model has become pacifying the customer and avoidance of repairs if possible.
    Make sure all service related issues are documented.
  When push comes to shove, just like an insurance policy,  if they can find an excuse to wiggle out of a warrantee repair, in my experience they will.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Thank me later

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Now that's a truck!! Hahaha ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:14 PM »
The quality of the newer vehicles is terrible. Designed well, but cheap materials and poor assembly.
   They are one half dozen or the other IMHO.
 If it was me, I would go test drive each brand , talk turkey,  WITHOUT  getting committed, and make a decision from there. 
   The main thing in my mind is not altering the vehicle in a way that could void the warrantee,  as so many of the new trucks develop some 'issue' to be addressed.
     Hold the dealership service department accountable and follow through , because part of the business model has become pacifying the customer and avoidance of repairs if possible.
    Make sure all service related issues are documented.
  When push comes to shove, just like an insurance policy,  if they can find an excuse to wiggle out of a warrantee repair, in my experience they will.

I hear you, I haven't been motivated to make a move because frankly there wasn't anything out there I had to have for the kind of money they want.  I bought this one new and got a 12K free frame a few years ago so have just been putting off a new one.  Getting time though, starting to have a few things here and there as to be expected from a 13 year old vehicle.  I'm on my "third" final set of tires. ;D

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:19 PM »
prob too small for you, but I have the 4 door Tacoma with the extended bed....Love it. I actually rolled one over before I got this one and got out without a scratch on me.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:23 PM »
prob too small for you, but I have the 4 door Tacoma with the extended bed....Love it. I actually rolled one over before I got this one and got out without a scratch on me.

Looking full size, thanks though.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:33 PM »
I've broken them all.  My advice...pick the one you like the best and find a good deal. One of the best trucks I have owned was a GMC Sierra 1500.  The worst was a GMC Sierra 2500HD.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:38 PM »
What ever you buy, look at the gear ratio.  3:73 with overdrive =Good gas mileage, 4:11  Posi Traction not so much.  i learned the hard way too.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:42 PM »
We had a new Ford Expedition when we went to Yellowstone last year, huge vehicle but got between 22-24 mpg with that eco boost. @)

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:46 PM »
I love my 2015 Silverado 1500.. 5.3

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Since this is Ice Shanty, one thing to consider... a smaller truck can be great for getting into your favorite ice fishing spots. I love having the 8' bed on my F250 Super Cab, but if there is one time I wish I had a smaller truck, it's when I'm looking to squeeze into some crowded parking areas (snow banks and/or other trucks) at the lakes, or trying to find a place on the side of the road. I didn't see that as an issue with my F150 Crew Cab with the 5.5' bed.

Offline Tilt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:04 PM »
I switched from GMC to Chevy in the summer of 15 and have been pleased (essentially the same truck).  I have the 5.3 with 4cyl option (swtiches between 4 & 8 as needed) and get 20 mpg.  Pulls like a mule.  They make a crew cab regular (6'6") bed and that was the one I wanted but it was so new at the time there were none in the state.  GMC should have the same and I've seen them since then and they are perfect for what I'm looking for.  My kids are still small but in a year or two I may consider upgrading since if you are realistically going to have people in the back you need the crew cab and not the extended (double).  I would get the one you get the best deal on that fits your needs as I have had most all of them and IMHO its the exact one you drive off the lot that will make or break you.  If your me you could take the advice of 5 guys who have the same truck and all got 500K miles out of it and I'll get it and it will yard sale at 5K. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:20 PM »
I switched from GMC to Chevy in the summer of 15 and have been pleased (essentially the same truck).  I have the 5.3 with 4cyl option (swtiches between 4 & 8 as needed) and get 20 mpg.  Pulls like a mule.  They make a crew cab regular (6'6") bed and that was the one I wanted but it was so new at the time there were none in the state.  GMC should have the same and I've seen them since then and they are perfect for what I'm looking for.  My kids are still small but in a year or two I may consider upgrading since if you are realistically going to have people in the back you need the crew cab and not the extended (double).  I would get the one you get the best deal on that fits your needs as I have had most all of them and IMHO its the exact one you drive off the lot that will make or break you.  If your me you could take the advice of 5 guys who have the same truck and all got 500K miles out of it and I'll get it and it will yard sale at 5K.

That's the thing, in my current tundra the back seats are just as big as the front, much bigger than some of the rear cabs on other makes.  I have teens now, smaller back seat won't do it.  Price of these things is almost as much as I paid for my house. :-\

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Its a tough call, better gas mileage would be nice. I have the 2005 toyota tundra with 8 ft bed. Im at 93,000 and pondering if I should change the timing belt and water pump?It is recommended , did you do yours Gamefisher?Im still happy with this truck.Good luck in your search, they sure are a lot of 💰. 

Offline marabou

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Its a tough call, better gas mileage would be nice. I have the 2005 toyota tundra with 8 ft bed. Im at 93,000 and pondering if I should change the timing belt and water pump?It is recommended , did you do yours Gamefisher?Im still happy with this truck.Good luck in your search, they sure are a lot of 💰.
.   They suggest you do it at 100,000.  I've got the 05 tundra and now at 230,000 did the timing /water pump at 180,000    best truck I've ever owned. Will only buy yotas now.   

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:28 PM »
I have a Ford with the 5.0 V8 not the Ecoboost.  From everyone I talk to, I get better MPG than the Ecoboost.  I have 52K on it and my average MPG is 18.6 that is highway, city, 4X4, towing since day one with the truck.  With the smaller stock tires and 3.73 gears I would regularly get 21 MPG on the highway.  Honestly IMO they are all very similar in reliability and performance just different styling.  And I agree, everyone I talk to with a Tundra gets horrible mileage like around 13-14.  I think you'll do fine with whatever you can get the best deal on.  The sticker prices are ridiculous but if you're not in a hurry you'll be able to find a deal.  My sticker was 35500 and I paid 28500.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Eric I would also weigh the options of getting a few less mpg, but getting 13 years out of a truck, or getting more mpg and only getting 7 years out of a truck.  You know where I am going with this...

Also your '05 Tundra is nothing like today's Tundra in terms of size/room

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:32 PM »
I had a titan for a while hands down the worst truck I've owned. Bought a GMC 1500 last spring. I love the truck but mine is a 4 speed pulls like crazy but I'm only getting 16.3 mpg. My dad has a new f-150 with the 5.0 and he's getting 21 mpg sharp truck too!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Thanks guys, it only has 110,000 miles, have not done timing belt.  It is the best riding truck I have ever been in, but never got better than 12-14mpg even new and it only has a 4.7.  One good thing about owning an older truck is another scratch or ding doesn't affect the blood pressure like on a new 50k one. ;D

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I've been pretty curious about the Ram half ton diesel edition. MPG looks great.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Eric I would also weigh the options of getting a few less mpg, but getting 13 years out of a truck, or getting more mpg and only getting 7 years out of a truck.  You know where I am going with this...

Also your '05 Tundra is nothing like today's Tundra in terms of size/room

Absolutely.  I have no complaints on this truck at all.  In fact, 2004 was the first year Toyota came out with this style double cab and I wish they still made it, I much prefer it to the newer style of tundras.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Toyota

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Started out with a ford years ago. now I am back to a ford . I have had  a Ford, Gmc. Chev. Toyotas  now back to a Ford . They rusted out so fast after 5 yrs you couldn't get a sticker. Chemicals they use on roads in Maine eat them up New fords should be more than worth there weight in gold and better mileage  Aluminum .

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Ford is coming out with an F-150 this year or next, with a diesel motor. Wonder what that will get for mileage?
I had a 3/4 ton Dodge/Diesel, loved it. More torque than you could imagine. 18+ mpg. Didn't love the payment. I now have a 05 Ford F-150 4 speed. Don't care what the mileage is....no payment!

Offline JJPSEFfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:01 PM »
I have 2 GMC, 2004  2500hd regular cab with the duramax diesel great truck starting to show its age but I have plowed snow and towed a 10k CAT skid steer, have  181k on it, bought the wife a 2014 gmc 2500hd crew cab with the 6.0 v8 and she and I are very happy with the truck so far with 34k

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I have a 2011 Tundra. Best truck I ever owned. I used to trade every three years, usually Fords because it was what we had for cruisers at the time and I was in a position to get a good deal, knowing the big wigs.
I'm contemplating trading this Summer or Fall, it will be hard to stay away from the Tundra. The cost is staggering they tell me.  Bottles are scarce on N. Raymond road these days!!! Time will tell, let me know what you you did when you bite the bullet. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Doesn't matter what you buy....a good deal on it is just less of a screwing.

I'm going to drive my 2000 ford diesel until it can't go another inch...18-20 mpg and zero payment

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:43 PM »
I'm on my second Taco now. The next one will be the 4 door extended bed. I'm not sure how people can function with the 5.5 bed  ???.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.