The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Propane Auger Review in the Cold  (Read 3337 times)

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Propane Auger Review in the Cold
« on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Fished a day this passed weekend, -26 on the thermometer with 20-30 mph winds and the auger never skipped a beat. Started 2nd pull on the first hole and 1st pull on the rest. I did keep it inside over night, not sure if that helped or not.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Propane Auger Review in the Cold
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Works but I think it uses more propane in the cold. Don't leave home without 1 or 2 spare tanks :)

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:23 AM »
good to hear, i have wondered about this. If Jiffy could only make a propane auger with metal parts then i would be a buyer.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:27 AM »
good to hear, i have wondered about this. If Jiffy could only make a propane auger with metal parts then i would be a buyer.

Yep, my one dislike about the auger is the plastic.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline umoguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:35 AM »
We've had two no-go's on my dad's. Once was around the -20's and the other around -10. Both times auger was kept indoors and tanks kept inside jacket. It was brutally cold the first time it didn't go, -32 when we first got up. Sleds required heavy hits of starting fluid. Trucks wouldn't start. Only Auger that went was an old Eskimo. May get another good test on it this week. I've got a newer Jiffy gas auger this year and will bring my starting fluid.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:47 AM »
We've had two no-go's on my dad's. Once was around the -20's and the other around -10. Both times auger was kept indoors and tanks kept inside jacket. It was brutally cold the first time it didn't go, -32 when we first got up. Sleds required heavy hits of starting fluid. Trucks wouldn't start. Only Auger that went was an old Eskimo. May get another good test on it this week. I've got a newer Jiffy gas auger this year and will bring my starting fluid.

ain't  no fish worth -20 and -32 below.... just sayin'

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 AM »

ain't  no fish worth -20 and -32 below.... just sayin'

AMEN. Especially not worth the damage done by the starting fluid   :nono:

When you're in a situation where trucks aren't starting, you're in exceptionally cold territory.
You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:01 PM »
It's never a bad idea to have a hand auger with you, even if it's left in the truck. Anything can happen. If you're running with a hand auger it's not a bad idea to have a second one handy. Bolts and blades break.  Hand augers are cheap insurance.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:08 PM »
-30 and hand auger is the only way to keep warm :)

Offline maineranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2013, 01:35 PM »
X2, especially if its dull :o

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Mine runs when it is -20*, but it is the tank (especially when low) that doesn't seem to deliver properly. Put on a full, warm tank and it is usually fine. Doesn't seem to have as much power when very cold though. Performs great above zero... I usually do better as well.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:28 PM »
metal gets real brittle below -20. every time i attempted to fish at below those temps something expensive broke. last time was my bros. jiffy rcoil. snapped one of the pawls. when we tried to open it, one of the 3 clips holding it together broke(plastic!) nope unless it'll warm up during the day i don't push it. and even then i wait till ' the temp comes up a little later before i head out. not to mention if your sled craps out, you could freeze before getting to shelter. i learned the hard way when i was younger.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:49 PM »
I'm at over 150 holes (maybe many more) on my original bottle of propane. Granted it's been relatively warm when it's been running, the blades are brand new and the ice isn't too thick. Seems like it doesn't like to idle as much when it's low, but give it a little throttle and it doesn't have an issue at all. Same with starting. Give it a little throttle and it jumps into action.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I didn't realize it had been that cold this year @)
How they biten

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:06 PM »
If I'm on the ice and it's 30 below, I died there the night before. No fish worth that kind of of aggravation!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:10 PM »
It's never a bad idea to have a hand auger with you, even if it's left in the truck. Anything can happen. If you're running with a hand auger it's not a bad idea to have a second one handy. Bolts and blades break.  Hand augers are cheap insurance.
X10! Never leave home without one.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:15 PM »
I'm going out early in the morning, expect it to be -10*. I also expect to be driving out in an SUV. With all the cold temps we've had and little snow there isn't much slush out there to speak of. If you have a decent spot to get on/off right now, nothing like having your truck out there.  Also like the pro-4 when transporting in an SUV.

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:57 PM »
If I'm on the ice and it's 30 below, I died there the night before. No fish worth that kind of of aggravation!

Thumbs up on this one!

Offline umoguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:46 AM »
The propane auger ran fine through this cold snap, even after being left out over night one night. I'm not sure exactly what temps got down to in the Northern Maine Woods Thurs-Sun, but I never saw any positive temperatures on the truck first thing in the morning or on the return trips to camp in the evening.

Offline kmgb42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:55 AM »
I have had no problems with mine in the cold always want spare tank tho never hurts to have a spare...
A bad day of fishing will always be better than a good day at work!
(Nate D)

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I really think they've build a better mouse trap. Less plastic would be nice, but that's how everything is these days, and i'm sure it was mostly done to keep it light. Plus if something breaks, it can be fixed.

Offline mhuntere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:42 PM »

I all have is a hand auger, but I usually have to peel off a few layers when making my holes  ;D

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:28 PM »
i love my jiffy pro 4 propane. no more two choke pullin for this guy . I have found that in negatives temps it still starts on two pulls . one pull when its at normal winter temps . ;D and everything is made of mostly plastic componets nowadays , just take care of it and it will take care of you.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Really can't say enough good things about it. It's nice when you get a piece of equipment that is everything you hope it will be.

Offline bfr44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Any one made a bracket for it in there dog sled?  I We told him it was for you. He is not looking to sell, but would to uswas thinking of drilling a hole in a block of wood the size of the shaft with a bunji over the top.  Want to avoid the chance of laying it down with the possibility of it getting oil in the head.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.