The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94611 times)

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: This year's bait thread...
« Reply #180 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:13 AM »
how much food do u put in a bait trap, tryed 2 spots no luck, still looking for the sweet spot. any help in the waterboro area would be help full. thanks and merry x mas
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:21 AM »
how much food do u put in a bait trap, tryed 2 spots no luck, still looking for the sweet spot. any help in the waterboro area would be help full. thanks and merry x mas

Just a handful, I like Gravy Train.  I put mine in little sections of the mesh landry bags and just gather it together with a rubber band.  After two days I change out, takes no time to gather your bait this way, works slick. :tipup:

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #182 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Just a handful, I like Gravy Train.  I put mine in little sections of the mesh landry bags and just gather it together with a rubber band.  After two days I change out, takes no time to gather your bait this way, works slick. :tipup:

Or you could do it my way and just dump some kibbles in and give her a toss. Then you retrieve a big mess of mushy food mixed with crumb covered shiners. Then transfer that mess into bait bucket, and finally some amount even will make it to your bait barrels...maybe I should try your way gamefisher. ::) ;D ...still learning. :-[
I fish.                                                         

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:39 AM »
Or you could do it my way and just dump some kibbles in and give her a toss. Then you retrieve a big mess of mushy food mixed with crumb covered shiners. Then transfer that mess into bait bucket, and finally some amount even will make it to your bait barrels...maybe I should try your way gamefisher. ::) ;D ...still learning. :-[

Ya your way sure sounds like the wtg Liam ::) ;D.  With age comes wisdom. ;D  Give it a try, I have two traps, 4 little bags.  On days when I'm changing out the dog food I already have the new bags "preloaded."  I'm up and out of there with my bait in a minutes time. @)

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:07 AM »
how i contain my dog food and bread in my traps is in a onion bag. i put the food in it the zip tie it off, don't cut the excess zip tie, use that excess zip tie to tie the bag to the BOTTOM of the trap so that the bait is not exceptable  from outside of the trap. i also seen and had buddies use plastic sandwich bags with holes in them and catch bait as well!
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Wifes panty hose works great for chum holdin!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Do you guys put all your dog food in the bait bag or do u leave a little in the trap too?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Dec 23, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Do you guys put all your dog food in the bait bag or do u leave a little in the trap too?

Usually I just throw it in the trap and do fine, but I use panty hose when wifey isnt looking.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #188 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:53 PM »
I just eeeeeeased my fat a$$ out to put my traps back in.... that was a little hairy.  :-\ I think I'll wait till tomorrow to go check them!

Offline getting jiggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #189 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Wifes panty hose works great for chum holdin!

I didn't like them myself they hold it to well I like some crumbs  blowing around the water just to turn them on
onion bags seem best for me I do like the idea of preloading at home and just swapping i will be doing that
thanks guys

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #190 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:29 PM »
I just went and checked my traps for the first time, still can only get to 2 of them. When I pulled it out i thought that somebody jammed a stick in the end, I had a large 6 inch shiner stuck in the hole. I caught a frog and a polywog also. Atleast now I know that there are shiners in my bog. I am going to have to look into putting my bait in a bag or something as you suggested, I just dumped it in the bottom and it floated to the top. I guess they can get to it without going in the trap.
I may put on the hip waders and get out there and check the trap I can't get to, since the ice melted.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:31 PM »
I just eeeeeeased my fat a$$ out to put my traps back in.... that was a little hairy.  :-\ I think I'll wait till tomorrow to go check them!

I couldn't even get out to mine without taking a bath, no thanks, guess they are going to get a little extra soak time.  :tipup:

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #192 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:45 PM »
I couldn't even get out to mine without taking a bath, no thanks, guess they are going to get a little extra soak time.  :tipup:

Should gain quite a bit tonight....supposed to get real cold after dark.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:18 PM »
If you use a long rope, how do you get it through the hole? Wouldn't it toggle in the hole? I tied it to a standing dead tree.
The other traps I put in are on a long rope,  and they are easibly retreavable, but they are on the bottom and are not through the ice, under.
I don't tie it right next to shore, I go back a little ways just for that reason and where I am there is no ice.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:24 PM »
I just throw it in the trap and do fine

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Little over 3 dozen today, reset-same bait, black traps. WoooHooo!

I know 3 doz isn't much for some guys, but for me, it's a good pull! I truly enjoy doing it, so I'm glad it takes more than 1 or 2 times for my entire season's worth, but I bet it is sure exciting to pull a single trap with 5 dozen shiners in it...  :)
I fish.                                                         

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #196 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:24 PM »
ONION BAGS WORK GREAT! DOES ANYONE EVER TRY BAIT TRAPS FOR SMELT?

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #197 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Got only 30 shinners today  nice ones though, but the total for the week was about 350   ye ha!! ;D
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #198 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Little over 3 dozen today, reset-same bait, black traps. WoooHooo!

I know 3 doz isn't much for some guys, but for me, it's a good pull! I truly enjoy doing it, so I'm glad it takes more than 1 or 2 times for my entire season's worth, but I bet it is sure exciting to pull a single trap with 5 dozen shiners in it...  :)
Wait until you pull a trap with so many they are spilling out the holes.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #199 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:26 PM »
                                         DOES ANYONE EVER TRY BAIT TRAPS FOR SMELT?
THEY WORK GREAT FOR SMELTS, YOU GOTTA USE POTATO CHIPS THOUGH . @)
How they biten

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:13 PM »
how do you guys feel about this? i know this road with tons of ponds on it and i was looking for a new bait spot. i finally found one with bait so i set traps out there and there was no sign of anyone else trapping there. i pulled my traps with the warm rainy weather coming in and today i went back to set them and i noticed a new hole with a bait line going into the water. Do you guys think its a big deal two people trapping the same pond? i reset my traps on the other side of the pond where i had set them before and was going to pick them up tomorrow morning

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:44 PM »
I wouldn't care as long as my traps not being emptied when I'm not around!

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:10 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. I'm not going to touch their stuff so I would hope they wouldn't touch mine

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:30 AM »
how do you guys feel about this? i know this road with tons of ponds on it and i was looking for a new bait spot. i finally found one with bait so i set traps out there and there was no sign of anyone else trapping there. i pulled my traps with the warm rainy weather coming in and today i went back to set them and i noticed a new hole with a bait line going into the water. Do you guys think its a big deal two people trapping the same pond? i reset my traps on the other side of the pond where i had set them before and was going to pick them up tomorrow morning

I have seen others at the spot I use, in fact the spot was relayed to me by a couple of members on here...much appreciated. ;)
I look at it like this, once you get a few dozen from a trap then it has paid for itself, after that if it get's stolen, not such a loss as a hassle. ;)
I think people aren't as quick to mess with our traps as we might think. It takes a special kind of a-ho1e to walk on thin ice, or trip through the woods to steel shiners or even bait traps...I hope. @)
I fish.                                                         

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #204 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Just curious as to why you guys set your traps after the ice forms.  Is this to have fresher bait or due to some regulataion in Maine?  Thanks. 
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Super pumped been trying to trap bait all week with no luck. But yesterday I tried a new spot and got about 2 dozen overnight. Guess its time to make a few home made traps!

Offline BJTbelgrade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:07 AM »
I just set a couple of traps in a small pond and the water is really cloudy does anyone now if that is a problem the water is about 3 to 4 feet deep?

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:43 AM »
I just set a couple of traps in a small pond and the water is really cloudy does anyone now if that is a problem the water is about 3 to 4 feet deep?

where about is this pond?? ;) haha im thinking of hitting a few small ponds on this side withthe traps this week!
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #208 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:23 AM »
went and checked my traps again this morning, I had a single shiner in 2 of my traps. I dumped the bait and put new bait into bags and reset them, I hope that makes them have to go into the traps to get the bait. I have caught 3 fish now, at this rate it will take me a month to get a dozen.

Offline getting jiggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #209 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:39 AM »
went and checked my traps again this morning, I had a single shiner in 2 of my traps. I dumped the bait and put new bait into bags and reset them, I hope that makes them have to go into the traps to get the bait. I have caught 3 fish now, at this rate it will take me a month to get a dozen.

keep one in the spot you are getting a few and move the others around a little its still fishing !
or change up the bait try other things till you find what works for you or the body of water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.