The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94535 times)

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This year's bait thread...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:50 PM »
any one cheeping there bait in a non heated area? I have a un insulated / un heated garage any thoughts on how I could cheap bait in there any container that would hold water that was already insulated?
I have mine out in the garage and it's un-insulated or heated, I use a cooler. Plan on moving them into the barrel in the Farm pond once we get some ice so I can set it.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:10 PM »
large 4-6 inch goldens in an old ice chest  . Last year i hald them from 11-01 to 3-30  with only like 20 lost .

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:18 PM »
what kinda things kinda hunt off to what kinda bait you will find in places. i hav trouble finding spots with a decent amount of shiners so i try not ot trap them so the trapping in there gets better. so what do you guys look for?

:%$#!:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:20 PM »
What do you use for a filter and what do you feed them?  Do you leave them in an unheated space?
No filter....I just pump it out and refill it every couple weeks.  it's in the basement near the wall so it stays pretty cool.

Offline getting jiggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:45 AM »
any one cheeping there bait in a non heated area? I have a un insulated / un heated garage any thoughts on how I could cheap bait in there any container that would hold water that was already insulated?

I'm useing a chest freezer in my yard seems like it will work fine its all ready holding just over 1000 shiners water has been around 44* seems better than the plastic drum from last season

Offline Dookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:33 AM »
This is what I'm doing this year. I use to use pink insulation but I pick up one of these kuno filters. I have charcoal filters for it but they dont seem to have very good flow. So i've been using 5 micron filters and they have been doing real good. I have around 30 dozen med shiners so far. My bait pond is slow I prob get around 10 dozen every 3 to four 4 days but its nice bait. Did manage to get a brookie the other day in one of my traps that was pretty neat. All I have to do now is make a new box to hold the filter.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:14 AM »
This is my simple outside bait tank set up , it never freezes and will keep 500 or more shinners. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:22 AM »
I recently sunk a makeshift pen I made in a private pond with 1000 shiners in it. It's 3'x2'x2'.      Will an animal rip it apart or will they leave it alone? Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:42 AM »
I recently sunk a makeshift pen I made in a private pond with 1000 shiners in it. It's 3'x2'x2'.      Will an animal rip it apart or will they leave it alone? Anyone have any experience with this?

I have access to a pond similar to you, I have used this simple set up for years, freeze it in at first ice, no issues and no dealing with filters, elec. etc.  Have to chip it out in times of extreme cold.  The lid has a 2" piece of foam board attached.

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:34 AM »
All these set ups are making me think I should try trapping some bait.  Not sure what I'll get (if anything), but this spot is close to my house and easy to get to by either ATV or sled.  I'll throw a trap out and see what happens.  All I'll be out is a few pieces of bread..... 

2011-12-12 09.41.03.jpg by chrisminmaine, on Flickr

Offline Tlacey21walden

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:02 AM »
I like the chest freezer approach, What are you guys using for a filter and pumps with them how do you cheap the pump from freezing?

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:34 AM »
anyone have any idea where to trap near winslow???

ive tried a few but can only find dang chubs. any other bait would be fine.

you can pm me if you like...

Offline Dookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:40 AM »
All these set ups are making me think I should try trapping some bait.  Not sure what I'll get (if anything), but this spot is close to my house and easy to get to by either ATV or sled.  I'll throw a trap out and see what happens.  All I'll be out is a few pieces of bread..... 

2011-12-12 09.41.03.jpg by chrisminmaine, on Flickr

You'll be surpized where you can find bait. Dog food or cat food work real good too

rickl1968

« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:50 AM »
I like the chest freezer approach, What are you guys using for a filter and pumps with them how do you cheap the pump from freezing?

The pump Im using is a 350 gallon submersible and puts off heat, right now it seems to be keeping ice off of the water. When I first put the minnows in the tank they are full of dog food or bread, so I have to change the water weekly.
The submersible pump I use has a prefilter that I change or clean every two weeks. 

Don't forget to seperate your small minnows from the big ones or they dissapear quickly.  :o

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:56 AM »

1000 fish in one night???   I need to find a spot like that !!1
I do the same. Wait til ice, trap the 50-60 dozen that I will need for the season in one setting with 3 traps. Done!

rickl1968

« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:07 AM »
I do the same. Wait til ice, trap the 50-60 dozen that I will need for the season in one setting with 3 traps. Done!

How big are your traps?
Do you have pictures?
Im only using the little ones you buy from Canadian Tire or walmart.

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:00 PM »
How big are your traps?
Do you have pictures?
Im only using the little ones you buy from Canadian Tire or walmart.
I use the store bought gray galvinized traps. Do not waste your money on the black ones they do not catch a fraction of the bait that the gray ones do. Last year I set two traps in a bait pond not much bigger then a puddle and after the first 3 hour soak I had 44 dozen.

Offline Dookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I use the store bought gray galvinized traps. Do not waste your money on the black ones they do not catch a fraction of the bait that the gray ones do. Last year I set two traps in a bait pond not much bigger then a puddle and after the first 3 hour soak I had 44 dozen.

I found the same thing. I have 2 black ones and 1 galvinized one and the glav one always catches double the black ones do.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:42 PM »
I've found the same thing with the black coated trap and the galvanized trap... Why do u think that is?

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:44 PM »
I've found the same thing with the black coated trap and the galvanized trap... Why do u think that is?
Not really sure, maybe they can't find the opening as easily??????????? Everyone that I know that traps bait has had the same results with the black traps.

rickl1968

« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:47 PM »
My rusty ones work the best.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:56 PM »
I do just fine with the Black Traps....

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Hardly a days worth of bait in that bucket. If you had used galvinized traps that bucket would have been overflowing.  ;D

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:01 PM »
Hardly a days woth of bait in that bucket. If you had used galvinized traps that bucket would have been overflowing.  ;D
That was only 2 hours!!  :-\

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:48 PM »
what do you guys for tags on your traps?

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:54 PM »
what do you guys for tags on your traps?
I just cut a piece of wood about 6" square, drill a hole, write my name and attach it to the rope. Never even been checked before while trapping. I am more worried about losing my traps to the moronic commercial guys that think they own a specific pond. They like to cut and or crush em.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:56 PM »
I just cut a piece of wood about 6" square, drill a hole and attach it to the rope. Never even been checked before while trapping. I am more worried about loosing my traps to the moronic commercial guys that think they own a specific pond. They like to cut and or crush em.

great idea. thanks

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I do just fine with the Black Traps....
I will trade you my black traps for your galvinized ones. Appreciate it.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #58 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Black traps Suuu%K,   I never get bait in those >:(       I think Maineduckhunter Is the only one.. :)

Hey maineduckhunter  ..    Can I use your bait honeyhole for about 4 or 5 hours? ;D
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Black traps Suuu%K,   I never get bait in those >:(       I think Maineduckhunter Is the only one.. :)

Hey maineduckhunter  ..    Can I use your bait honeyhole for about 4 or 5 hours? ;D

X2 We have never caught a single fish in a Black trap, but I can pull a full trap in 5-6 hours with galvanized ones. Once we tried them side by side and got them same result!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.