Author Topic: the Chain?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
the Chain?
« on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Chain o lakes Ice thickness anyone??

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: the Chain?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Most areas on the chain look like black ice...have seen others on the lakes but it's probably travel at your own risk.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:11 PM »
i checked out a few lakes this afternoon. pistakees shore was crappy but people were out there. same with petite and channel. i will be on petite tomorrow morning. seems to be around 4-5" of ice. be ready to walk the plank ye skurvey dogs.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:01 PM »
there are reports of someone going through pistakee. they have search crews and divers out there. be careful

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:41 PM »
there are reports of someone going through pistakee. they have search crews and divers out there. be careful

search is called off.   Anybody who even thinks about it is totally nuts.   We barely had 6 inches of ice this year with @ least 2 inches of crap ice.  Stuff is gonna be honeycombing like a son of a gun.   If your getting on iffy ice don't let it be deep water, Don't be alone,  don't not have rope, throwable,picks, spud,  actually just don't go.  You are not only endangering yourself but the folks that will try to save you.........
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2012, 12:15 AM »
 So let's be dumb and not be safe, so are families can feel the pain of us dieing. I'm telling you there is going to be one more snap yet, be patient. 

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2012, 02:53 PM »
i hit the chain today. still 6" of ice. shoreline required a plank but once on everything was good and firm. toward noon it softened on top but underneath was still hard. that said i wasnt adventurous and stayed away from suspect areas. from 7-12 we caught about 100 or so mixed bag. was non stop action. between two of us we had about 40 keepers. mostly white bass with crappie mixed in. got a nice channel cat on 3lb test. here is my half of the booty. nothing special but im happy.

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2012, 03:39 PM »
Hey eyestroker, did they call it off, due to it being a hoax or did someone go in?
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Update........please be careful guys....

Staff report

3:06 p.m. CST, February 4, 2012

The body of a 29-year-old fisherman was recovered this morning from a lake near northwest suburban Johnsburg after he reportedly fell into the water Friday night.

Justin Ribar of Wonder Lake was pronounced dead at 11:12 a.m., soon after the body was recovered, according to the McHenry County Coronor's office. While an autopsy is scheduled for Monday, officials suspect that he drowned.

Emergency crews were called to 3320 N. Rocky Beach Lane in Johnsburg after a fisherman was reported “yelling for help’’ after possibly falling into Pistakee Lake, according to a McHenry County Sheriff’s police sergeant. The first call came in about 6 p.m. Friday.

The search Friday night centered around Coon Island in the lake, the sergeant said. It was called off about 10 p.m., according to officials with the McHenry Township Fire Protection District.

Divers, crews with sonar and others from several area emergency agencies resumed the search about 8 a.m. today.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Hey eyestroker, did they call it off, due to it being a hoax or did someone go in?

i guess I phrased it wrong.  Shoulda said called off for the night,  Sorry if it was misconstrued.........   Anyways,  my thoughts go to the family.  I also want to say i'm sorry for being a bit too real in other posts, but I still think this "accident"  was totally preventable.  As much as we want to rationalize that "it could happen to any of us"  thats a  excuse.   Use your noodle and take precautions,  and if you do go in you most likely will survive survive,  but most likely if you don't chance it you won't go in..........   
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Iam thinking about this coming saturday. I know we are supposed to get cold freezing nights and barley get over 32 daytime hi's for a 5 day stretch with a few teens and a single digit night too. I hope it brings enough back for another weekend of fun. Just to let you know I inquired about the chain because the spot I go is 3 to 4 feet max and wanted  to know if it was even worth the trip. I never go alone and would not chance it even in shallow water. I have a family and want to assume as little risk as possible. Be safe everyone. I had 10" last weekend in northern Illinois(not the Chain) the same place has 4" to 5" now. Hoping to re-up on 2" or so this week and get 3 days in over the weekend and early the following week.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:15 PM »
it should be okay. im looking to get out again on saturday myself. my best fishing has been at 16-18ft so im hoping the forecast doesnt change. i didnt see any single digits in the forecast but a couple nights around 15 sure aint gonna hurt. i dont see a temp above freezing until sunday. the shorelines will still probably be on the thin side

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.