Author Topic: Dangerous Ice  (Read 1262 times)

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dangerous Ice
« on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:44 AM »
I just got a call from a buddy of mine. He was asking if I was at home because he was listening to the news and heard that rescue crews were setting up at Pistakee, in search of a lost fisherman.

My hope is that all turns out well for our fellow angler, but no one should be on these lakes right now. Please use common sense and stay off dangerous ice, no fish is worth your life!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dangerous Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Local paper...Emergency crews searched a body of water near northwest suburban Johnsburg following of report of a fisherman falling into a lake tonight.

Emergency crews were called to 3320 N. Rocky Beach Lane in Johnsburg after a fisherman was reported “yelling for help’’ after possibly falling into Pistakee Lake, according to according to a McHenry County
Sheriff’s police sergeant. The first call came in about 6 p.m.

As of 8:45 p.m. a search and rescue operation was ongoing in an area known as Coon Island and no one had been found, the sergeant said.

McHenry County Fire Protection District is also the scene, the sergeant said.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:51 AM »
that is sad news but it does not surprise me pistake was getting bad a week ago Friday when we left plus with the amount of holes that have been drilled out there the ice was getting water logged and soft I hope everyone stays off of pistake it will need more than a few cold nights and days to get solid again if you need to fish go north to WI or find small ponds that have had less travel on them where the ice could be safer JUST USE CAUTION AND PLEASE BE SAFE ALL
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2012, 03:45 PM »

UPDATE...

Staff report

3:06 p.m. CST, February 4, 2012

The body of a 29-year-old fisherman was recovered this morning from a lake near northwest suburban Johnsburg after he reportedly fell into the water Friday night.

Justin Ribar of Wonder Lake was pronounced dead at 11:12 a.m., soon after the body was recovered, according to the McHenry County Coronor's office. While an autopsy is scheduled for Monday, officials suspect that he drowned.

Emergency crews were called to 3320 N. Rocky Beach Lane in Johnsburg after a fisherman was reported “yelling for help’’ after possibly falling into Pistakee Lake, according to a McHenry County Sheriff’s police sergeant. The first call came in about 6 p.m. Friday.

The search Friday night centered around Coon Island in the lake, the sergeant said. It was called off about 10 p.m., according to officials with the McHenry Township Fire Protection District.

Divers, crews with sonar and others from several area emergency agencies resumed the search about 8 a.m. today.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2012, 04:08 PM »
that sucks bad I hope this will be the last  :'(
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Very sad, my condolences to his family and friends!

Offline robar144

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:06 PM »
My thoughts and prayer's go out to his family and freinds.

Please be careful ot there!

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Thoughts and prayers go out to Justin's family and friends in the hard hard days to come and years after .  God Bless
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Many are reeling from the loss of Justin in this area. He was an accomplished angler and very knowledgeable about ice fishing. His funeral is to be held Thursday. RIP. Tight lines!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.