Author Topic: What is the Best Tip-up, and Why  (Read 67736 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
What is the Best Tip-up, and Why
« on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:33 PM »
some of the threads for this are from 2005. i think with all the new tip-ups out there, and changes/dicontinuation of others, that this should be discussed/debated/argued/beat to death! :laugh: i have several type/brands, so ill start.

traditional, 3 piece tip-ups. they work, and can be modified easily.
continental tip-ups. plastic, made in new england. no wind flags. adjustable trip mech.,tough to wind up in deep water. unbreakable!
polar tip-up. short, but you can see fish running.
frabill bigfoot classic. tall, big, cool looking, you can see fish running.
heritage tip-ups. drag. well built. new plastic spool? tall. ( i just ordered 3, but my friends have them with metal spools )

ok, i will post some pictures tomorrow of mine. please try to add pictures if you have something different. be as specific as possible with likes, and dislikes. also add pictures of modifications that have worked for you. also, what species of fish are that tip-up best for, if you use different ones for different fish.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Trooper Bri

Re: What is the Best Tip-up, and Why
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:54 PM »
What is the Best Tip-up, and Why

The best tipup is a high visibility heritage style tipup with the ability to see the fish running Frabill/Polar style. Of course it doesn't exist yet, but i think that's the best tipup.  :tipup:  ;D Make them available with a built in LED for night fishing, and i'll drop a check in the mail tomorrow.

Seriously: I do love the heritage style best, but currently own black Polars and will stick with that style until my fantasy comes true. Gotta see the fish running!  :P They are compact and light (can fit 6 in an HT jigging rod bag). Downside is big baits and low visibility. Downrigger clips and telescopic masts can patch those issues to an extent. And this is the year i upgrade from the Polars to the Bigfoot Classics. Me likey big wooden tipups!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:22 PM »
The best tipup is a high visibility heritage style tipup with the ability to see the fish running Frabill/Polar style. Of course it doesn't exist yet, but i think that's the best tipup.  :tipup:  ;D Make them available with a built in LED for night fishing, and i'll drop a check in the mail tomorrow.

Seriously: I do love the heritage style best, but currently own black Polars and will stick with that style until my fantasy comes true. Gotta see the fish running!  :P They are compact and light (can fit 6 in an HT jigging rod bag), plus i can see the fish running. Downside is big baits and low visibility. Downrigger clips and telescopic masts can patch those issues to an extent. And this is the year i upgrade from the Polars to the Bigfoot Classics. Me likey big wooden tipups!
yeah, the bigfoots are a nice tip-up. i too would like what you wish for! :laugh:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:58 PM »
I have had a bunch of different brands, but I rally like the Hardwater explorer.   I've picked them up at the local fleet farm at the end of the ice fishing season for $5.

I like them because they are durable, dependable, and I can adjust the tension on the spool.
Heavy for pike / large bait, and free spool for walleye and trout.

The flag flips about 3 feet in the air, so I can see it from far away, and I have never had a flag because of the wind.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:46 AM »
I used polar tip ups for the last 6 seasons (the orange ones).  I decided to go with a taller tip up this year because I got tired of not seeing the traps at all when there was any snow on the lake.  I compared heritage laker and jack traps side by side and purchased 6 heritage lakers back in October.  I like the laker over Jack trap because the mechanism is easier to set than the little split ring on the Jack.  Also I like the drag on the heritage for use with larger shiners.  I have used the new traps 3 times and absolutely love the heritage quality and design.  One trip was in a 40 mph steady wind with blowing snow and I could see them for a LONG way away!  I would have never seen the flat polars.  I do miss seeing the mechanism spin with a running fish.  One thing I did was purchase white dacron braided line that has blue and red threads woven in........I can look down the hole when I get to the trap to see if line is going out.  That has helped a little. 

I believe Jack Trap and heritage are both high quality products.  I chose the laker for the price and quailty combination.....Jacks are a bit more expensive. 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:56 AM »
I like the concept of the reinheart tip-up it keeps the hole from freezing, but you cant see which way the fish is running until you pick it up. beaver dams and polars(wooden) work great but you have to bust ice when it is really cold. :tipup:
Gator Nation

Offline strubedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Beaver Dam tip ups are hands down the best.  The are the smoothest at allowing line to be taken out or reeling the line back in.  You can see your line stop to see if line has been taken out when you get to the whole and they are durable.  Only thing most of us run in WI.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:18 PM »
here they are.

heritage

polar tip-up

traditional (modified)

continental tip-up

frabill bigfoot classic

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Beaver dam  the only problem is they last a life time I own nine tip ups and only two beaver dams and take one guess which ones are in the outside of the rod bag.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I love Beaver Dams and will stick by them for a long time. They will last you forever and it is nice to know that a quality product is still being made by hand in my home state. Use a foam hole cover if you have ice up problems. Two if its really cold out.

Offline froznbonz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I've been using heritage lakers for more than 20 years. Have bought and tried lots of others and although I use my Beaver Dams every now and then, the lakers are usually the only boys that get any action. They used to have a metal reel with a little red handle that was easy to see spinning underwater, but now the reels are black plastic and are harder to see. Painting little spots on the edges of the reels makes it easier to see them spin.

Offline icefisher 21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:41 AM »
i like using hertiage tipups cause there easy to install and sit up high  i also use polar tip ups to

Offline Lando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:04 AM »
Beaver Dam (Arctic Fisherman) -- without a doubt.

Use a 10" piece of armorflex with a slit the length of the radius to keep the hole from freezing (you can acutally buy these covers everywhere now).

Some of mine are 25 years old - I am currently looking for more, and I'll take used ones that are nearly 35 years old.

Just plain solid.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:12 AM »
Thw best tip-up is the oe with a fish on it. End of story.

Offline Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:29 PM »
I like the heritage tip-up they are visible in deep snow and parts are available through their website

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I don't know...I kind of like them all...for different reasons...Polars are inexpensive, work very well, store easily, so for low dollar..I'd say polar...My heritage lakers are wood, I like the big plastic spool with the drag, no problems, and they are just beauty...for pike, lakers deep snow and wind I like those. The Beaver dams are like polars but wooden and just all around nicer...I love the Beaver dams...no Jack traps yet maybe next year...
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:21 PM »
frabill polars..... :thumbsup: the artic fires aint too bad either.....gonna couple them up with my new pooley suffern slammer & the topher tip downs....all a boy could ever need.... ;)2 :flex: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Stick tip ups. Visibility, not to mention a little reflective tape and you got a great night tip up. We get a lot of snow, snow blows into the 10" holes, turns to slush then ice( i know im not the only one) after a full days fishing, not only would a beaver dam stylw plastic  tip up be buried in snow, but all the parts not in the water would freeze over.  

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Beaver dam no doubt about it.  I have 7, 2 of which I bought used 20 years ago. they were beat up then, I have to have them re-lubed. not bad for tip ups that are probably 30-35 years old. Only thing I dislike is trying to rewind them. After having a couple polars freeze up (granted really freakin cold) I do not use anything else.  Besides made in WI not china.
Shane

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:37 AM »
I've been using heritage lakers for more than 20 years. Have bought and tried lots of others and although I use my Beaver Dams every now and then, the lakers are usually the only boys that get any action. They used to have a metal reel with a little red handle that was easy to see spinning underwater, but now the reels are black plastic and are harder to see. Painting little spots on the edges of the reels makes it easier to see them spin. i too have some pushing 20yrs. the white on the reel is a good idea and so is lighter colored dacron. mine are all the metal reels except for 1.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:36 AM »
My nod would have to go to Beaver Dams. Although a little expensive they are made tough, very smooth, all around excellent well made tipup. And like other guys have said, made in the USA!! Fin

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:42 AM »
heritage's are the best

Online michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Thw best tip-up is the oe with a fish on it. End of story.

I have had some junkie tip-ups with fish on them!! I don't like using them if I had a choice not too. I do like the polar style they store easy. I do have some of the round ones they work good but hard to carry around with you.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I don't believe there is a best. It's all personal preference, excluding the cheapo junk of course.

Offline Ilya

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:40 AM »
It are pleasant to me my home made Tipup   ;) ;D
Рыбалка это мое хобби и работа. Привет из России!

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Ilya, I saw your tipups on another link in here.  They are really nice.  I wish I could get some like you make.   :icefish:
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:19 PM »
I have the HT Fisherman black plastic tip ups. The were the cheapest ones I could find when I bought them. I catch fish on them, but I am not a big fan. The "trigger" gets bent out of shape and the flag spring is not consistent. I guess you get what you pay for.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:47 PM »
buy heritage!

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:11 PM »
I own a frabill (Orange) and a beaver dam The BD is a lifetime tip-up and it's easy to set the flag with gloves on which I can't say about the others (heritage,polar and jacks)  but i do like the looks of the jack trap

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2009, 04:32 PM »
40 Up's and heritages are both made in America. Both the best if you ask me. Simple, durable construction, no mechanical parts above the water = no freeze up preventing operation, increased visibility, storage. Heritages take the cake, but I'm not going to complain after getting 6 of the green 40's for x-mas today
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.