Author Topic: What is the Best Tip-up, and Why  (Read 67765 times)

Offline crawdude

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What is the Best Tip-up, and Why
« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2009, 04:40 PM »
different tipups for diff fish polars are good all around though good for pike walleyes and even perch

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2009, 04:56 PM »
I've had my Hi Flags since 1980, had brass reels and plastic tubes, never froze or malfunctioned. Last winter I gave them a facelift with new oak wood.
I've been picking up new englanders and Hi flags on ebay for pike fishing, ended up with two real nice sets, great not to have to change leaders and stuff to fish different waters. I think what ever you use and have luck with are good for you!

Offline Overly Hackled

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:47 PM »
Beaver Dam tip ups are hands down the best.  The are the smoothest at allowing line to be taken out or reeling the line back in.  You can see your line stop to see if line has been taken out when you get to the whole and they are durable.  Only thing most of us run in WI.

Here is another vote for Beaver Dam. I've tried a LOT of them and the Beaver Dam are the best .Easy set up, excellent construction and components.
Your Pal >>>>>>>> Overly Hackled

"Sic Vis Pacum,Para Bellum"

If You Want Peace,Prepare For War"......

emt

« Reply #33 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:47 AM »
by far, the best for pike is the HT Polar tip-up-the wooden ones with the 500' spool.  fished different ones all my life and they are the best.  Plastic spool (won't freeze up outside the water when wet) and large capacity for coated tip-up line.  I have about 9 of them. The only problem is sometimes the seal gets ruined with use/misuse and they freeze up inside the tube. Time to get a new one then!!!!!!LOL
EMT

Offline Balbones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I use both beaver dam and heritage lakers. The beaver dam's can be hard to see in the distance or when you have a decent amount of snow, and the spool doesn't come close to the amount of line the heritage lakers hold. Otherwise I love them. I normally use a combination with the beaver dams closest to me and lakers further away so I have the best of both worlds.

Offline velcro7279

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:34 PM »
by far, the best for pike is the HT Polar tip-up-the wooden ones with the 500' spool.  fished different ones all my life and they are the best.  Plastic spool (won't freeze up outside the water when wet) and large capacity for coated tip-up line.  I have about 9 of them. The only problem is sometimes the seal gets ruined with use/misuse and they freeze up inside the tube. Time to get a new one then!!!!!!LOL
EMT

Don't have to throw them away.  Just have to relube them.  None of mine have seals in them they are just full of cold weather grease.  Use either Frabill Sub-Zero or HT Blu-Lube.  I have the Frabill Sub-Zero cause it was the only stuff I could find locally last year.  Had a couple of mine freeze up last winter and thought I had to throw them away, too.  Just relubed them and they are still working great.  Have to make sure the tube around the shaft is full of grease so the water won't get in though.  Had one get stiff on me two nights ago because I didn't have enough grease in it. 

I use the black Polars mostly.  Have one Polar Windlass and that one has been doing the best this year so far for the pike.  Have some problem if it is too cold that the line will freeze up a little on the spool when it gets wet.  Still have plain black dacron on it.  Need to change it for something a little more freeze resistant.

Steve

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:39 AM »
Went from polar style tipups to heritage lakers 2 seasons ago and will never go back!  They are awesome.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:11 PM »
I have used the Maine traps for 20yrs very good on a windy day, :tipup: you need to set them right.you can be spread out very far and still see the flags also use bells and lights at night

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:50 PM »
I have always been a fan of Hi-Flag, 40 up's. Been using them for 25+ years and they have never let me down.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:54 AM »
For fit and finish, quality and durability it is pretty hard to beat the Jack Traps. They come in a few different sizes and woods but are all highly varnished and have the best mechanisms I have found on any tip ups.

The reels are a solid aluminum in a heavy gauge and the trip tube is stainless steel. All the hardware is screwed on and removable if you ever want or need to dismantle them.

The trip set is hooded from the weather and there is no such thing as freeze up or a wind flag with these.

I have a very nice set of the Heritage Lakers and like them just fine but there simply is no comparison between the quality here.

You get what you pay for and the Jacks are a life time tip up if ever there was one.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Gary, No doubt that is a cadillac of tipups.. hell of a piece of furniture ;) hey,  after having to barrow your chisel/scooper last saturday, I took your advice and also took advantage of the frabill deal on fish307 .. ordered three frabill pro thermal (walleye addition) for now..hoping to try into alittle night time late season  on swb.  ;D
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:41 PM »
The Frabils are a good disc tip up but the ones I went with are the HT Polar Therm Extremes because they have the telescoping flag that is much easier to see from a distance. Keeping the holes covered sure does have an advantage when it is freezing and blowing.

Gary

Offline megunticook laker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2010, 04:48 PM »
I'd like to put my vote in for polars 8) I love the way they fish ::)   to get around the height of the flag issue, I will take a 10-12" stick and tie a small piece of flagging tape to it and stick it in the snow so it is in line with where my flag should be. Of course I use contrasting colors. I use red surveyors tape with my green flags and they really pop when you see  them  ;) I will say that I am also too cheap to spend a lot on my gear. I have had these polars since about 1990 ???

Tight lines in Maine!
Doug

Offline Remdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JW
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Ilya, I saw your tipups on another link in here.  They are really nice.  I wish I could get some like you make.   :icefish:

jack Traps!!

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2010, 12:46 PM »
Gamalot, Can you post a clearer picture of how the flag trip works on the Jacktraps, I have never seen one in person but would like to know how it works with that gaurd over it.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Gamalot, Can you post a clearer picture of how the flag trip works on the Jacktraps, I have never seen one in person but would like to know how it works with that gaurd over it.

Here you go Hillmann, Each flag has a loose split ring attached on the top that gets hooked to the trip mechanism. I used some good epoxy and glued the split rings solid which makes it easier to set with cold hands but does not impede the function.

Gary

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:16 PM »
How senesitive is that trip mechenism?  I like to set mine as light as possoble, I would prefer to have to deal with minnow tripps than to have a walleye spit it out because they felt resistence on the line.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I fish exclusively for trout and I just matched my Jacks against the sensitivity of my Heritage Lake tip ups. Both are pretty sensitive when there is no drag on the reels and the Jacks seem to have a bit lighter and smoother release.

They are a well thought out design and with top notch quality and workmanship.

Check out his web site and the various models and sizes available. As far as your questions about function I can attest to the fact they work  the best in my arsenal and are worth every dime in comparison to all the others I have seen and owned. I know he makes them in a few different woods and sizes but all have the same trip and high quality hardware.

Gary

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Mar 09, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Over Christmas I picked up a BPS Extreme tipup and I would bet they are made by Jack Traps for them. It is nearly identical to their 26" standard trap and only $20 CDN at BPS Toronto.  The only thing I dislike is the lack of the ability to easily change the spool friction. I really like the big aluminum spool and the quality of the tip up.
The epoxied split ring is a good idea too, I'll have to steal it.   ;)2

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 09, 2010, 09:53 PM »
Over Christmas I picked up a BPS Extreme tipup and I would bet they are made by Jack Traps for them. It is nearly identical to their 26" standard trap and only $20 CDN at BPS Toronto.  The only thing I dislike is the lack of the ability to easily change the spool friction. I really like the big aluminum spool and the quality of the tip up.
The epoxied split ring is a good idea too, I'll have to steal it.   ;)2

I don't know if your BPS are made by Jack Trap or not. We share our ideas here so you are not stealing and hopefully making your gear work better for you.

If Jack Traps did make the BPS then here is how to fix the spool friction issue.

Jacks have a shaft through the wood that is a 1/4 X 20 common thread. The reels have a hollow shaft through them that is a standard hollow threaded lamp shaft. It goes over the 1/4 X 20 main shaft and gets nutted on each side.

Find some 1/4 X 20 NYLOCK wing nuts and some nylon washers. Look at these pics real close.

I can adjust the spool tension in a second with my set up!

Gary

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:31 PM »
The tip up I use is based on what I'm fishing for: for trout I swear by Fish Brother tip ups. I can see what the fish is doing by watching the spool which is outside the hole. They pack nice and for me they just work! With Rainbows it doesn't matter they just run after picking up the bait anyway. For pike, picks and bass its Jack Traps.

Offline Toppertipupman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jun 08, 2010, 02:49 AM »
Hey guys,My name's Steve i'm from Michigan and i'm a brand new member to the site and just want to first of all say hello to everyone.

Has anyone ever used the round style tip ups? I am just trying to get some other peoples feedback on these. I keep seeing that the round style tip ups are becoming more and more popular lately...any input on these styles or pros and cons and why?

My reason for asking is my family was inherited my grandfathers business along with his own personal patented design of a round style tip up. I know a few years back they sold like hot cakes when he and my uncle were always up and able on the ice during "tip up town" in Houghton Lake in Michigan.Since he has gotten older and just recently passed the family business has been on hold obviously and/but we still have all of the inventory of tip ups,packaging,parts and instructions along with thousands of rods and stuff. I'm just curious on how to getting the name and product on the market again along with feedback on them. I know my grandfathers patten was never listed online...They've been in storage for quite a few years...does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Steven

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #52 on: Jun 08, 2010, 04:06 AM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty activity on this site is slow this time of year so it maybe a while before you see many responses to your question. The advantages of the round style tip up are ,they block blowing snow from entering the drilled ice hole along with blocking sunlight,depending on diameter they can be packed/transported in a five gallon bucket. I was given a few as a birthday present but have yet to use them so I can not report on their performance.
  this website has members from all different occupations someone will have knowledge on patents. Good luck with this quest ,remember you must become a Militia member to offer items for sale. Contact site administrator Scott or one of the moderators for more details.
 Steve

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Jun 08, 2010, 05:48 AM »
Welcome Steve... I have a few of them and the only thing  I dont like about them is they are hard to see unless the flag goes up...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jun 08, 2010, 08:04 AM »
The first disc types I had as well as the Beaver dams I did not like because of the short flag and poor visibility.
I then found the HT Polartherm Extreme discs that have the auto antenna shaft that extends when in use and is about 24 inches high. Love them.

Post a few pics of the ones GrandDad made so we can see what style you are talking about Steve.

I think the very best tip up has not yet been made so there is always room for new stuff and better designs.

Gary

Offline Toppertipupman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jun 08, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Wow,thanks for the quick replies and warm welcome fellas.

I completely understand on being a militia member though mr.clean. I'm a member on a few atv racing forums and i sell a lot of atv parts on them ...same thing, kind of like a premium member thing to get the full use of the site.

I'm positive the tip ups fit in a bucket and remember reading something like a 7 or 8" hole.I'm pretty sure the flag is pretty darn long too when it pops up. I'll try and get a few pics for the heck of it.Maybe you guys can give me some personal opinions on what you guys think of them.

Thanks again guys!

Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #56 on: Jun 08, 2010, 07:52 PM »
e-mail pictures to me, and i will post them for you, if you can't get them on here .
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #57 on: Jun 09, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Toppertipupman,
   Glad to see you received a few replies to your question. I forgot to mention in my previous post that most of the round tip ups fall into a category called thermal tip ups by covering the hole they slow down and sometimes prevent the hole from starting to refreeze. Like Gamalot stated most models have short flag staffs and are best for use when there is little or no snow on the ice surface at a short distance from yourself.
 Steve

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jun 09, 2010, 01:23 PM »
the best trap on the market is:   what ever one you are presently fishing with!   cause if thats all ya got   it is the best thing going!       I have all types   but my heritage lakers are my go to traps
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jun 09, 2010, 02:44 PM »
the best trap on the market is:   what ever one you are presently fishing with!   cause if thats all ya got   it is the best thing going!       I have all types   but my heritage lakers are my go to traps
i agree ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.