Vermont > Ice Fishing Vermont

Done for the Season

(1/2) > >>

Boatless in BTV:
I never thought I would be doing this in February, but I just packed away my ice gear and am done for the season. I went and checked a couple of places this afternoon, and though I probably could have fished (Colchester Pond had 3-4 inches of black ice under 2-3 inches of super soft white ice), at 45 degrees and sunny I didn't feel safe being out there. And other than tomorrow, there's nothing in the forecast to indicate we'll get another chance, unfortunately.

Overall, it would be hard to conceive of a more disappointing ice season. I managed to get out twice and caught a grand total of 3 fish (1 pike, 1 crappie, 1 perch). The only positive is the short winter will hopefully mean kayak fishing season will get here sooner than usual this year.

For those of you still out there, be safe!

stick eyes:
We still have good ice up in the St. Albans bay area . Hathaway point state access areas and also Georgia town park. Still can't go way out but able to get out into 20 to 30 feet of water. First of the week should be great fishing weather if they bite or not  :)

koissu:

--- Quote from: stick eyes on Feb 24, 2024, 03:02 PM ---We still have good ice up in the St. Albans bay area . Hathaway point state access areas and also Georgia town park. Still can't go way out but able to get out into 20 to 30 feet of water. First of the week should be great fishing weather if they bite or not  :)

--- End quote ---

Curious to see what the next 10 days does off of Hathaway. Looking like another year with no white perch through the ice

WARRIOR_ON_ICE:
if you are emotionally devastated enough by this short ice season, consider buying a non-resident NY license and driving over the Crown Point bridge and then finding our lakes in Essex and Hamilton counties. I was on 2 lakes this weekend, 1 had 18" ice and the other had 15"

pikeaddict:
I fished bomo yesterday, and if this weeks forecast holds it was likely my last time out on that side of the mountain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version