Author Topic: Gulp bait  (Read 2297 times)

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Gulp bait
« on: Jan 13, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Never used it in winter,..any good/bad comments  of those of you that have?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gulp bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 01:01 PM »
I have been using some gulp mini earth worm on some ice jigs when the gills are hitting well. OK but not as good as a wax worm.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2006, 02:18 PM »
The bad thing is it freezes rock hard in the cold.

Jeremy

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 02:54 PM »
keep it warm, and don't leave it out of the package after use... it'll be like a petrified turd.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Used it once,ran out of waxies cuz the bite was so hot and switched to gulp....NEVER got another bite.Will NEVER use it again.

stump

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:37 AM »
What kind of Gulp bait are we talking about?....I use the small nightcrawlers but I wouldt touch the maggots.

If you are looking for top quality maggots/spikes use the new berkley HoneyWorms..very life like and they work extremely well. I usually rip em in half and use them as tails on my smaller jis

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:06 AM »
I use Gulp in the summer while fishing stocked trout..I have never caught a fish or had a hit for that matter on the grubs or maggots....I have been using Berkleys honey worms for the past to years and it has outfished any other bait in the box for pannies....I highly recomend honey worms...I use em' over any other bait in the box ;)....Someone back me up on this :) DONT BUY GULP......
Andrew

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:34 AM »
Im sorry but i just dont agree with you all :-\  Several times ive been perch fishing on  some stock damns and when my waxies were getting torn off left and right I switched to gulp grubs and caught fish as fast as i could get my bait down the hole and they dont tear off near so easy.  when we had the perch drawn in and on a frenzy we could catch several fish without taking the time to rebait. The Gulp Goes where I Go!!!

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline RJP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:11 AM »

Is there anyone that uses Gulp or the Berkely Honeyworms instead of bringing live bait??

So far, from the posts I have seen everyone uses it as a back-up.  Does anyone think it is so good that they don't bother to get live bait?????

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Ive started off with the gulp before but never really started a "frenzy" with it. I dont think id go to leavin town without live bait on purpose. Though i have stopped to drill a few holes after work a couple of times only to reach into my coat pockt and find the can of waxies i thought was still good, wasnt. and fell back on the gulp. caught some fish here and there which is a darn sight better than not stoppin and not fishin at all          right?

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Due to lack of availablity in my area for Waxies and any other grubs...I have been using Honeyworms exclusivly. I do think that the real deal would be better but so far I cant find any...and I called a few mail order company's that will not delivery into Canada

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:29 AM »
A lot of guys down here only bring honey worms to the lake with them..in all seriousness I have put more slabs and perch on the ice with red and yellow honey worms than any other bait(live or dead)...Give it shot, let us know how ya did!!I'm not trying to bash Gulp, but I would not pay for them again..my 2cents

-Andrew
Andrew

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:33 AM »
Again, it's what the fish want that will put em' on ice......You can get em on anything.If your leaning towards live bait, and it is available to you, go for it..

Electrical tape for example ;D
Andrew

Offline scott14580

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2006, 12:22 PM »
 The only time I've had the gulp work is when the perch are in an active mood. It does nothing to get non-active ones to hit. Live bait does.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Never used it in winter,..any good/bad comments  of those of you that have?
gulp bait is garbage...completely worthless. all that stuff, except crappie sparkle nibbles from berkely.  i never leave home without that stuff. 
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:19 PM »

I've never tried the Gulp or Honey Worms but the Power Wigglers have worked well. They are great to keep as a standby in case there is no live maggies or waxies.
As a test I tried the PW's after catching several fish on maggies .. they worked. Also there have been times I couldn't get the live bait and again I caught fish with the PW's.
I always keep an old film container with PW's in my box.  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I have never had any luck with Gulp anything. I would not waste my money on it. bear

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2006, 06:14 PM »
When the water was still open I did well Gulp maggot's, no Gulp no fish. But when the ice came on I never cought a fish on them.
Always keep your line wet!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2006, 06:27 PM »
i've never had any luck with any gulp either.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.