Author Topic: Flame King 1lb refillabe  (Read 10385 times)

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flame King 1lb refillabe
« on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:29 AM »
Hi all!  Anyone seen any of the Flame King 1lb refillable bottles in stock anywhere?  I've been looking for quite some time to no avail.  Amazon and Ebay only have bottles selling at 4x the cost.  I know I'll get some folks that will say that I can just fill up the disposable bottles but I would prefer not to.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Flame King 1lb refillabe
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:55 AM »
They seem to be out of stock everywhere. I emailed Flame King ..no clue when or if they will be available. Sportsmans Guide has them on backorder till 12/20/21..

PM sent
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2021, 11:31 AM »
Glad I got mine back in August when a few retailers had them. I had 3 from 2 years ago then got six more. Will share with the kids.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Our local Running's has them and will ship. Their price is $16.99 plus shipping.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2021, 12:13 PM »
Sure enough!  I just placed an order. Thanks so much Ice Dawg

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2021, 12:26 PM »
You're welcome.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2021, 01:16 PM »
Our local Running's has them and will ship. Their price is $16.99 plus shipping.

Thanks.. order placed ..even got $10 off $50 coupon
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2021, 01:23 PM »
I dont want to endorse something that could be dangerous  but if you cut that little plastic tab off the flame king refill adapter you can fill the little green bombs also.just in case the flame king tanks get hard to find.i cut mine because i found it hard to see when lining up the plastic tab with the bottle.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2021, 01:58 PM »

Just got an Email said order shipped ..quite fast .

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2021, 02:03 PM »
Just got an Email said order shipped ..quite fast .
That was super quick, my order hasn't shipped yet.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2021, 02:05 PM »
I was in Running's a couple weeks ago and they had at least 10 12 item cases of propane one pounders on the shelf. Last week the shelf was totally bare. Glad I bought some when they had it.

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Can you share the coupon? Thanks!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2021, 02:25 PM »
Can you share the coupon? Thanks!

All I did was make an account ..and arrived in my Email .

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:03 PM »
I got a shipping notification a bit later. Woo hoo! 

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:19 PM »
Can anyone elaborate on which store you ordered from? 

I tried Runnings website and I can't locate any of those tanks on their site.  I would think even if they are sold out, they would be listed.

Thanks

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:30 PM »
here is the link to the flame king tank:
https://www.runnings.com/flameking-refillable-cylinder-1-86380003.html

if you enter in your zip for pick up in store you can also search and check nearby stores and it will list them out then you can see the inventory of other stores near you.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Sorry to go off topic but I can no longer see the attraction in or justify the 1#ers...refilled or new. A 5# tank has a lesser footprint than 4 -1 pound bombs and no disposal necessary. Filled mine up a couple weeks ago for $3.50. Ok...back to regular programming.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Sorry to go off topic but I can no longer see the attraction in or justify the 1#ers...refilled or new. A 5# tank has a lesser footprint than 4 -1 pound bombs and no disposal necessary. Filled mine up a couple weeks ago for $3.50. Ok...back to regular programming.  ;)
  Thanks for your thoughts.  For me, I don't use 4 1lb tanks on one trip.  I may go through one all day so in my case I have to decide if a 5lb tanks is worth dragging vs a single one pound refillable tank.  Curious if you refill your 5lb yourself or take it in to get refilled? 

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:59 PM »
Thank you. 

For the times I need a 1 lb tank, I’d rather refill than buy disposable now that I know these are available. 

Not going to drag larger tank when I need simple 1 lb for starting a small grill as an example. 

I have hose and larger tank for applicable situations too. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2021, 04:01 PM »
Can anyone elaborate on which store you ordered from? 

I tried Runnings website and I can't locate any of those tanks on their site.  I would think even if they are sold out, they would be listed.

Thanks

Their site is very wonky..cant find anything via the search function

https://www.runnings.com/flameking-refillable-cylinder-1-86380003.html

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2021, 04:01 PM »
  Thanks for your thoughts.  For me, I don't use 4 1lb tanks on one trip.  I may go through one all day so in my case I have to decide if a 5lb tanks is worth dragging vs a single one pound refillable tank.  Curious if you refill your 5lb yourself or take it in to get refilled?

Propane dealer. Told me even with the rising cost of propane he wasn't raising his prices on 20# tanks or less. Keeping them low as a courtesy. Pretty nice.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2021, 04:17 PM »
Problem with the 5lb tank is that if you go out for half a day and use, say half the tank, and you want to go out again tomorrow for the entire day, you now have half a tank of gas.  Now you have to hope that the propane store is still open by the time you get off the ice to inconvenience the guy to fill 2.5lbs of propane.  I'd rather just fill up however many 1lb'ers I used at the end of the day from a larger tank and be ready to go for the next day.

With that said, I've got 6 of the Flame King 1lb refillables, a 11lb tank, and a handful of the larger 20lb tanks.  They're all useful in their own situations.  Plus, I can't use my 1lb tank top burner to cook lunch on the larger bottles.  Used to re-fill the disposables, but DealNinja got me on the Flame King train and I love them.

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:48 PM »
Love the Flame Kings. I rarely even use a 1lber during a full day of fishing so they are perfect for me.

Just an FYI for those that refill the green bombs it violates US DOT law to refill and transport them. Not really sure how someone would be able to tell.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:32 PM »

I’ve got a 5# & 11# tank. They have a place but seem to be a lot more hassle for me then refilling my own 1# tanks.

Work well on the Turkey fry stand to cook fish on trips.

For heating the shack…. Not so much if you use a buddy type heater. With the hose and using a few lbs a trip you really need to refill after every trip. And the hose connection is kind of a pain for me transporting in the sled.

Refilling 1# tanks off the 30# tanks with the flame king refill adaptor and tanks is so easy, and if I only use 2-3# I can refill or swap tanks at home. Then just take 4-1# tanks out vs refilling the 5# and 11# tanks sucks…but LP refilling and service has become terrible in the last 5yrs around here. It takes 1-2days for them to refill a person's tank…..it’s ridiculous.

I can refill the 5# and 11# off my 30# with a hose I made…but it sucks. Then I have to run a hose to the heater and it sucks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:47 PM »
I dont want to endorse something that could be dangerous  but if you cut that little plastic tab off the flame king refill adapter you can fill the little green bombs also.just in case the flame king tanks get hard to find.i cut mine because i found it hard to see when lining up the plastic tab with the bottle.

Lol…that is exactly what I did. Once that tab was gone refilling the green bombs was easy. I 3D printed a bunch of plastic caps to protect the threads & to keep moisture from corroding the valve. I also finally figured out that instead of using a needle nose to pull the little pressure release valve to get them full…..it is easier to just unscrew the tank & push the main valve pin down for 6 sec. To release the pressure. Then rescrew it on and top it off. I run about 6 flame king 1# refillable tanks. Then about 6 green bombs. It’s always nice to keep a full milk crate (9tanks) full.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:51 PM »
Problem with the 5lb tank is that if you go out for half a day and use, say half the tank, and you want to go out again tomorrow for the entire day, you now have half a tank of gas.  Now you have to hope that the propane store is still open by the time you get off the ice to inconvenience the guy to fill 2.5lbs of propane.  I'd rather just fill up however many 1lb'ers I used at the end of the day from a larger tank and be ready to go for the next day.

This is so true….and exactly what I experienced with my 5# tank, and why the 1# refills are so handy.

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:52 PM »
All I did was make an account ..and arrived in my Email .

HD - sent you a PM

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2021, 10:22 PM »
I’ve done both, started refilling green bottles 15 years ago when we used Coleman propane lanterns in the hunting shack. When I started ice fishing I already had a big buddy heater and the 20lb cylinder adapter to go with it. I used it for 4-5 years the. I was in a pinch and had to use a 1lb cylinder and started to see the convenience. A buddy got a flame king adapter last year and I thought it was pretty damn slick. Had some menards rebates so I bought a kit. I’ve used it to refill several green bottles. I try to only refill the Coleman ones a few times. Wish I wold have payed attention to the fact that the flame king bottles were so scarce. I have a feeling Coleman 1lb bottles will be as hot this year as they were last year. Luckily the co-op still fills 20lb tanks FULL! not the usually 85%

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04:07 AM »

With that said, I've got 6 of the Flame King 1lb refillables, a 11lb tank, and a handful of the larger 20lb tanks.  They're all useful in their own situations.  Plus, I can't use my 1lb tank top burner to cook lunch on the larger bottles.  Used to re-fill the disposables, but DealNinja got me on the Flame King train and I love them.

I can see your point. All depends on the application and convenience. I use a Mr Heater "sunflower" that is a cooker as well. Most times out I don't even use the heater. When I  do, it's usually on and off...gets pretty warm in there. So at most I probably only use a pound a day. And I actually have 2 places close to me that can refill it...the dealer and a hardware store ( which is open early and late enough for me to get refilled). Just works better for me.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:35 AM »

Last couple years I have only been using my 1 man so 6 flame king 1#ers last between 6-8 days depending on weather
 For my 2 man I have a 5 plus an 11#er
 I can squeeze out a week with my sun flower

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.