The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Norther pike in the st. John River?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
Norther pike in the st. John River?
« on: Oct 28, 2021, 08:41 PM »
Just wondering if it is a known fact that there are pike in the st john River system?..... I have searched and cant find anything online but either case wouldn't be surprised..... I landed a decent 30 inch pike while Muskie fishing at the beginning of the month in the main part of the river and just wasn't expecting it honestly.  I Have fished that river system a few times a year for the past 15 years and havnt seen one before.

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Norther pike in the st. John River?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2021, 10:52 AM »
Yeah there's pike in there, not sure how many but definitely in there

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2021, 09:16 AM »
I live in the valley and it is not a known fact. This is the first I heard of it. Most people up here wouldn’t know the difference between Muskie and pike. I don’t fish for them, I can still catch salmon and trout, no need to target junk fish
It must be something in the water.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2021, 01:34 PM »
I also live in the County.  Muskies a well-known fact; but pike are unheard of in the St. John system.  Perhaps until now I suppose. 

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2021, 08:16 AM »
I'm just going to repost what I had on the open water site as honestly I really just wanted to find out if anyone else had caught a pike in that watershed.

Was 100% a Pike I know the difference but I know me telling you that doesn't mean anything cause you don't know me and I don't have a picture;  I wish I had my phone on me but I have three other people that were with me and can verify.  Regardless I caught the Pike at ferry landing from shore pretty early right at sunrise basically.  It was hanging out in an eddy but if you have ever been there its definitely not the deepest section of the river and not one I would normally fish as the current is pretty fast but just happened to be camping there so figured why not take a few casts.  I certainly thought it was a Muskie as well until I pulled it up on shore; I caught it using a jointed bomber 1-2 and the fish was definitely over 30 inches so it wasn't some dink.  I had three other people there to verify it was a pike. The fish was laying on the rocks at this point so I went to get my plyers and as soon as I did that the fish jumped and flipped the lure off and went back in the water.  I regret not having a picture and wish that part had materialized as I would have gotten one for sure.  After the fish ended up back in the water we were all discussing if anyone had heard of pike in the river before which is what led me to posting this.  Either case it was an unexpected catch.

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:30 AM »
I have never heard of them in any section of the river. I try to pay attention to the NB end as well and never hear anything about them there either. That being the case I suppose it won’t be long before Tiger Muskies make an appearance!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.