Author Topic: Jiffy Pro 4 question.  (Read 2380 times)

Offline find me on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy Pro 4 question.
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:54 PM »
What is the issue? I have had the auger for 3 or 4 years now with no issues. Today while drilling holes I drilled two everything was perfectly fine. Midway through the third one it just bogged down and quit, almost like it was out of propane. When it died it almost sounded like there was a fan running on the auger. Obviously that isn't the case. Then I smelt propane bad so I unscrewed the tank and the "fan noise" stopped. Thought it was maybe a hole in my fuel line but that's not the case either. I couldn't exactly pinpoint it but I'm 90% sure it's running straight through and coming out the exhaust. Any ideas what could be wrong? Diaphragm in carb shot? Any ideas let me know thanks.

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy Pro 4 question.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:57 PM »
1. Throw jiffy in garbage

2. Buy a good auger

3. Don't buy junk again

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:15 PM »

2. Buy a good auger

3. Don't buy junk again

^That's funny right there.  I did a quick search and he started the linked thread stating that he would only buy a Jiffy...presumably before he bought this one:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=284228.msg2951285#msg2951285

"find me on the ice"...I don't mean to pile on, it's all in good fun but interesting nonetheless. 

My brother in law has a 6 year old Jiffy that has broken down 5 of those 6 years costing him fishing time.  Then he was given a runaround from the company on stuff.  He tried to convince me to buy a Jiffy a few years ago but seeing what he had to deal with there was no way in hell.  I picked up an Eskimo and when we fish together that's the auger that gets used.  When planning trips he is now saying: "I'll bring my auger...but bring yours so we have one that we know will run." 

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:17 PM »

2. Buy a good auger

3. Don't buy junk again

I bought a jiffy.  It never cut a hole without doing something stupid like cutting out.

This went on for a few years.  If it would have fit down the hole I would have put it down there.

I bought a nils with a Tanaka motor.  Amazing.
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:19 PM »
I love my pro 4 used it in -25. Only problem we ever had is the propane froze when I left it in the truck one nite it was below zero. Bring it in the house now and use it have never had a problem since. I also cover the head with a feed bag heading out on the ice. (To cheap to buy jiffys cover. lol).    Mark :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:58 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input. Nothing was worth while (as expected) I'm not looking for why you don't like jiffy or what it's junk. It's what I have and that's the way it is. I'm not gonna go spend $500.00 on a new auger if it only needs a $70.00 fix. If anyone that has experienced this or knows what it could be please let me know. Would like to get it figured out.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Sorry about the crappy reply.  Jiffy problems activate my Pavlovian response. I start sweating and my blood pressure goes thru the roof.

I'd start by taking the carb off and soaking it in carb cleaner after disassembly.   Then put it together with a carb rebuild kit.  The kit will have all the gaskets and everything.

As a note I know next to nothing about propane carbs, but a lot about gas carbs.  You may be able to skip the soak in carb cleaner.  The rebuild kit should be less than $5

Ext step would be replacing the gas pressure regulator.  I assume if it fails open delivering too high gas pressure to the carb the pressure will overwhelm the carb metering device, whatever that might be.

Good luck and let us know your results.
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:13 AM »
No real familiarity with the Jiffy pro 4 but I assume like any other propane based system, the gas must flow through some type of regulator.  Is it possible you had something as simple as a chunk of ice get into the regulator, holding it open, increasing the flow of propane and essentially "flooding" or overfeeding the system?
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:28 AM »
Slight modification to rule #1, sell Jiffy on Craigslist.  I did last year and got the Eskimo HC40.  I don't like taking things apart when they're less than one year old. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:25 AM »
If it's a bit older of an auger there is an aluminum gas line that runs from the regulator to the "carb", the aluminum line failed on mine and I wound up replacing it with a 9" piece of steel brake line and a few fittings. inspect that piece to see if there are any breakages and/or spray it with soapy water to find any leaks. It seemed to be a common failure and jiffy eliminated the part in subsequent models.
go hard or go home

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:30 AM »
I don't know much about propane engines yet and this is my 1st year running a pro4 lite.sounds like the regulator was  stuck open blowing prop thru the motor.i like  the idea of not having to prime/choke these motor like a 2 stroke but not much you can do if these propane motor don't start.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Not a Jiffy, but my eskimo did this a couple years ago.  I ended up buying a new carb and it runs perfectly now.  It was a cheap fix and probably needed it as it was probably 10 years old at the time. 

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. Nothing was worth while (as expected) I'm not looking for why you don't like jiffy or what it's junk. It's what I have and that's the way it is. I'm not gonna go spend $500.00 on a new auger if it only needs a $70.00 fix. If anyone that has experienced this or knows what it could be please let me know. Would like to get it figured out.

What gen is it?  I have a gen 2 and this same thing happened to me.  It was leaking propane before the regulator.  Bought a new hose on ebay for $25  came with a regulator but I only switched the hose.  Works like a champ.  There are some threads on here and youtube vids that will help you figure it out.  just search jiffy pro 4 leak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:53 PM »
What gen is it?  I have a gen 2 and this same thing happened to me.  It was leaking propane before the regulator.  Bought a new hose on ebay for $25  came with a regulator but I only switched the hose.  Works like a champ.  There are some threads on here and youtube vids that will help you figure it out.  just search jiffy pro 4 leak

It's a gen 2. I'm thinking it sounds like a regulator issue. Heard from a couple people jiffy is replacing the regulators that go bad.. Not sure how true that is tho.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:16 PM »
So I actually own a jiffy Pro 4 and I would take it to an authorized repair center.  If not, replace the regulator as the noise and smell indicate a propane leak.  Most likely the regulator is bad.  You may want to pull the carb off and look at it.  It may have oil in the carb if it was put down improperly.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:56 PM »
I have the pro 4 lite n really like it the only question I have is my throttle has some play in it is this normal or can I take up the slack in the cable somehow. She drills fine just seems like I'm not getting full throttle?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.