Author Topic: leader for pike  (Read 17297 times)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: leader for pike
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:32 AM »
You can catch pike on 2# line, does that make it ethical? Not at all. 20# fluorocarbon, however, use if if it works for you. Its pretty tough stuff, it just does not work for me. Braid, no (of any strength). If someone fishing with me insisted on using braided leaders, I would tell him to start walking.
-Tom

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:41 PM »
BOA is the only way to go

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Malin boa no-kink leader? I've never tried single strand wire on a tip up, or any bait rig. What advantages does it have over a flexible leader?
-Tom

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:26 PM »
I use the Knot 2 kinky titanium.  Its basically as flexible as any steel leader.  Half as thin.  I like it a lot.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:56 PM »
Malin boa no-kink leader? I've never tried single strand wire on a tip up, or any bait rig. What advantages does it have over a flexible leader?
According to the manufacturer "the natural color and non-glare finish, makes it virtually invisible in most fishing applications."
It also claims it stretches, has high flexibility, and maximum abrasion resistance. I can vouch for the stretch claim and abrasion resistance.
It can kink though. You can tie a knot with it but you don't want to pull too tight on the tag. The main advantage I see is that it's thinner
and it won't cut. Depending upon how many pike and how big you catch using it, determines when to replace it. That occurs with any line.
I've lost two pike using it for the last few years and that's due to figuring out its limitations.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:09 AM »
I might have to give that stuff a try some time. You say you can tie a knot, but can you use the haywire twist like most single strand leaders?
-Tom

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:39 AM »
I haven't got the knot tying with the Knot 2 kinky figured out.  I tried tying rigs up at first.  But the stuff is super slick so to say.  A good amount of pressure and the tag end would just slide out and the whole works would just untie.  My next experiment was to use crimp sleaves.  Liked the more dressed up look.  But if you pass the leader wire through the sleave then the hook eye and back up through the sleeve then crimp.  Same thing.  The leader will slide right back out of the sleeve and you have a fish gone.  So now I pull enough tag back up through the sleeve so I can loop back around and go back up,  pull tight then crimp.  Has been working good so far.  Now I want to figure out how use it to make some inline quick stike rigs for deeper water.  To the guys that make the straight line rigs.  Do you fix tight the upper hook.  Leave it to slide freely?  I think I experimented with this once a while back.  I think I put in a sleeve, put a hook in the loop then around though the sleeve then to the end hook.  The sleeve slid down the wire hit the bottom and pig tail curled the titanium wire to make the leader almost useless to use again. 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Jake and Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2015, 08:50 AM »
I use 15lb steel leader material with sleeves crimped to size 6 treble and loop end. I also string a small red bead above the hook end crimp and a pea sized colorado spinner on clevis that provides some extra flash.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:00 AM »
I may just have to find some different material (wire) to make these.  I just happen to have four rolls of Knot 2 kinky on hand. 

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:35 AM »
On inline rigs, I tie the front hook on solid. The reason being, if the section between the front hook and the rear hook gets cut (flurorocarbon) I still have a chance of bringing in the fish. I see some leave the front hook free to slide. The advantage to this is you can slide it to any length bait you want. Either way, the key to all quick strike rigs is a long, sweeping hook set.
-Tom

Offline FreshMeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:40 AM »
I have good luck using 20 or 30 lbs AFW surfstrand 7strand stainless steal leader material.  It's alot thinner than anything else I have found.  It does kink after a few fish, but to me it's worth it.  All the coated leaders seem way to thick for me.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I use the 80lb flourocarbon leader material that I make my muskie leaders out of. I make my own quick strike rigs. I make a single leader and secure one of those single hook teardrops, but pike size. Then I make another small leader, about 3" long with a red #4 treble hook. The smaller leader has a welded black ring in the loop at the top. This ring goes on the longer leader before the top of the long leader is crimped shut. This allows the smaller leader to slide up and down the main leader line.  I secure the single hook in the back of the minnow and the treble goes through the mouth.

For the poster earlier talking about crimping flouro. There is a trick that will guarantee you'll never have flouro slide through a double barrel sleeve. Before you crimp, slide the tag end further out, burn it briefly with a lighter until you get a ball to form.  Then slide ball end up to the sleeve and crimp.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:09 AM »

For the poster earlier talking about crimping flouro. There is a trick that will guarantee you'll never have flouro slide through a double barrel sleeve. Before you crimp, slide the tag end further out, burn it briefly with a lighter until you get a ball to form.  Then slide ball end up to the sleeve and crimp.

x2 on that. Using a proper tool instead of mashing 'em down with a pliers is another step in the right direction.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Mudeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:34 PM »
80lb seaguar!

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:30 PM »
i have read that thicker# flouro is easyer for them to see then thin # wire
what is and what should never be

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Mehhh. Hardbto say really. Depends on depth, water clarity, brightness. It would be tough to generalize that into a truth. Lot of variables. I will just say this, ive got several 40+" pike on steel, and ive got several 40+" pike on heavy fluoro. I think the fluoro holds a slight advantage but thats just me. Ive been having awesome results with it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:20 PM »

That may have been me.... There is some science to support that. I probably used the phrase, "may be more visible than".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Depends on the water clarity and brand of floro. Not all floro is the same. If the water is even slightly stained a good floro is harder to see than steel. In really clear water they'll see thick floro.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Go steel or go home, if you are catching and keeping fish, i mean big pike with  that floro crap, you should play the lottery, . Please dont tell us you never got bit off or lost fish because of that stuff.  Please !

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Go steel or go home, if you are catching and keeping fish, i mean big pike with  that floro crap, you should play the lottery, . Please dont tell us you never got bit off or lost fish because of that stuff.  Please !
I agree I always use steel leaders and prefer 18" or longer ive had big pike swallow baits and short leaders were engulfed.
ive also had big pike thrash there heads and shred steel leaders and straighten hooks.
I was gonna run 1 fluro leader this yr to see if it out produced steel but couldn't make myself do it.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:22 PM »
I do not tip-up fish anymore.With that said , I do Pike and Musky fish in soft water and i use 130# florocarbon leaders and have never had a Musky break them. They are not seen in H20. I make them from Berkley Big Game leader material with Crimps. When fishing Heavy weeded lakes a Single 7 Strand wire cuts the weeds better than floro.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Never got bite off or lost a fish because of that stuff.. Just played the lottery and lost.. :P

Have you ever used a heavy polymer line and definitively hooked up with a big northern ?

I find that interesting because one of flouros main selling points is that it vanishes in the water..  With that said put wire in water and flouro in the water and tell me what one stands out the most.... Again wire in water, clear line in water..

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:48 PM »
"I find that interesting because one of flouros main selling points is that it vanishes in the water..  With that said put wire in water and flouro in the water and tell me what one stands out the most.... Again wire in water, clear line in water."

With clear ice on a sunny day, I can see my 4lb. 100% fluorocarbon all the way down to a tiny jig 20' deep. As it is, I use 4lb. over 6lb. because trout can be line shy. If I don't tie the knot just right
when clinching it down, that little bit of 1/2 stretch on the line where it is tied refracts the light differently than the rest of the line. I can't imagine that 60lb. would be different. Throw in some nicks and kinks and it will show up even more. If I didn't experience break offs, I'd still be using fluoro, but I really like using titanium wire. I can't make a claim as to which one out produces the other because I made an immediate switch to wire. We have a two rod limit and a tip-up counts as a rod so I haven't done a comparison between the two because I still have to jig. But hey, if you don't
get broken off on whatever line your using, why change?

Offline htc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:44 PM »
I use the Knot 2 kinky titanium.  Its basically as flexible as any steel leader.  Half as thin.  I like it a lot.
what kind of knot(s) are used with this stuff? just ordered some... are preferred knots on the packaging?

thanks, htc
The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.  - Harry Golden

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:34 PM »
I can tell you from experience that a uni knot is one of the easiest to get into thicker line. That said, I have never had good results tying wire, and have never tried titanium. On the packaging of some steel leader I have says you can use conventional fishing knots on it. I've had usable uni knots on steel leaders, although I could never get them perfect every time. You wont be able to use the clinch, and I doubt you could get 2 leads through for a palomar knot. A nail knot is known as a good leader knot.
-Tom

Offline htc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:51 PM »
ok those make sense will be good place to start suppose just experiment a bit see what can get to hold for me.

knot wars says says nail aka gryp is very good terminal knot they only rate floro mono and braid though no steel or titanium hehe

thanks, htc
The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.  - Harry Golden

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:32 AM »
I had a monster chain pickerel bite through 20 floro once....was after a fish to break my personal best of chain pickerel 27" and six pounds. Took me a decade and I bust him on 20 floro seaguar....kind of unforgettable....I moved to 30 floro so far no pick has even come close...
To trust a personal best pike to 20 seems....sketchy to me. Maybe I've been "horsing" them in....I don't know.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.