New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109474 times)

Offline mikvia46

• IceShanty Rookie
Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:31 PM »
I fished Otsego lake 1st time 2 years ago. Caught some huge Lakers. Last yr we had no ice. I'm praying we have a shot at it soon. Don't see
any posts about Otsego. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I'll post pics if I can figure out how. I'd love to hear some stories.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:47 PM »
When you have 3 posts you can go to the NY Conditions board and read all about it!
 Just got off Otsego after 8 hours today, slow day 4 lakers landed. It was a great day out there though! The fish just did not co-operate!

BIGJim223

Offline mikvia46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Thanks Big Jim, maybe this is 3 posts for me. Glad to hear your fishing. It's been cold but a friend told me they were fishing there from shore 2 weeks ago. I was getting worried. I think me and my son will head out there tomorrow.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I was fishing from shore last weekend! Thank goodness for some ice!

BIGJim223

Offline Unclebob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:37 PM »
Is there any easy place to park on the lake?

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2013, 02:24 AM »
i searched 30 pages for a otsego post! found nothing! this has to be the only one!

Offline mikvia46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:26 PM »
OK, anyone have any luck today?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:28 PM »
i searched 30 pages for a otsego post! found nothing! this has to be the only one!

Did you check the reports and conditions board?

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=13665.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Is there any easy place to park on the lake?

Glimmerglass state park.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Here's 32 pages of everything you ever needed to know about Otsego Lake! Almost!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=155417.0

BIGJim223

Offline sweetwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:08 PM »
I remember throwing a 2x6 across the open water by shore to get on the ice two years ago. I really hope we get some ice as that lake has some big fish in it.

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I remember throwing a 2x6 across the open water by shore to get on the ice two years ago. I really hope we get some ice as that lake has some big fish in it.
x2 love this lake when fishable
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Here's 32 pages of everything you ever needed to know about Otsego Lake! Almost!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=155417.0

BIGJim223Hey jim I fished goodyear last week did ok with about 20 -25 perch & gills.Havent been to otsego yet.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:33 PM »
i'll let you guys now how things are on Monday when I get home.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Was thinking of heading out tomorrow but my buddy bailed on me...anyone else going to be out there? I hate fishing early ice alone.

-Zach

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Was thinking of heading out tomorrow but my buddy bailed on me...anyone else going to be out there? I hate fishing early ice alone.

-Zach

I'll be out there for day 3! I going to try to stick to finding walleyes though. My goal for this ice season is to figure those elusive fish out! I get 'em in the summer, but can't even find them in the winter!
    I know I am smarter than a walleye!  :o :o ;D At least I think so!

BIGJim223

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Where do you park Jim? Public landing? I'm hoping to get out fairly early. Is the bait at Tom and Kelly's worth stopping for or should I go somewhere else?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Where do you park Jim? Public landing? I'm hoping to get out fairly early. Is the bait at Tom and Kelly's worth stopping for or should I go somewhere else?

I usually go out of Glimmerglass, but as far as I know, tomorrow we are going out of Public Landing. I did Glimmerglass the past 2 days and have only seen 1 walleye caught. And he was fishing for lakers!
  Tom's bait is good, it is what I have. Very hardy, he only has medium shiners right now along with spikes and he did have mousey's and wax worms (I was told) last week. I don't buy much bait, so I don't know the current going price elsewhere, but his shiners are $4.95 a dozen and spikes are $2.59 a tube. He is "usually" there after 6am, but doesn't really open until 7. If he is there, (blue Dodge Ram/plow) he will take care of you.
Maybe I'll see you out there.

BIGJim223

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:26 PM »

Great question CBH...The only person I know that has a good grip on those Walleye is the one and only Ol' Crawdad ;)
Aw

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Sounds good! I'll be in a one man Clam, with a red Ice Armor suit. Haven't decided where I'll park yet, probably go out of Glimmerglass. And work my way out of the bay, towards the northwest.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:04 PM »
I will keep my eyes open for you. I also have a Clam one man Kenai, red/black bibs/jacket.

BIGJim223

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:45 PM »
Me too, what a small world ::)
AW

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:13 PM »
What a beautiful day to be out. Ended up parking at the Public Landing, what a zoo that place turned into. Hit the ice about 7:00 and headed south towards Hyde Bay. Ice was a beautiful 6". Black everywhere. Ended up fishing in 50-60 FOW. Would have liked to have gone deeper, but I chose to stay away from the nasty looking pressure crack that ran from the northern edge of the bay, straight across to the west shore. Fish were weird...they would charge up on the jig and turn away. I could work them quite a ways up but they would eventually give up the chase. Eventually, I got a pattern that seemed to work:

Got a couple nice 23" lakers.  Really looking forward to getting out on the lake often this winter. Used to fish here quite a bit, but it's been a few years. Hopefully I can get some friends to make the drive, only issue today was I kept talking to myself.  :P ::)

-Zach

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:29 PM »
nice catch Zach. hope they are hungry tomorrow.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2013, 05:38 PM »
Zach: Sorry we didn't meet up today. The guy I was fishing with could not be there until later in the day, so I waited for him. Man, what beautiful afternoon! Everyone I talked to was catching fish!
   I have never seen anything like that zoo at PL today! That is the way it is on Forth of July weekends. Unbelievable! The town will shut that down before you know it. When the highway super came down with the plow truck and had to back out, I said to my buddy that they will shut it down within the week. I left after dark and there was still 8 or so trucks in there.

BIGJim223

Offline matthews88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:12 PM »
What a beautiful day to be out. Ended up parking at the Public Landing, what a zoo that place turned into. Hit the ice about 7:00 and headed south towards Hyde Bay. Ice was a beautiful 6". Black everywhere. Ended up fishing in 50-60 FOW. Would have liked to have gone deeper, but I chose to stay away from the nasty looking pressure crack that ran from the northern edge of the bay, straight across to the west shore. Fish were weird...they would charge up on the jig and turn away. I could work them quite a ways up but they would eventually give up the chase. Eventually, I got a pattern that seemed to work:
(Image removed from quote.)
Got a couple nice 23" lakers.  Really looking forward to getting out on the lake often this winter. Used to fish here quite a bit, but it's been a few years. Hopefully I can get some friends to make the drive, only issue today was I kept talking to myself.  :P ::)

-Zach
zack let me no when u are fishing i live in davenport not far from otsego and would fish next week also want to head to lake george for some perch i think u used to work at conv store in davenport

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Finally got to get back on the ice after last yrs no ice, and me and the girlfriend enjoyed every minute. Parking lot was full and the sun was shining, alot of action in shallower water, didnt mark many in the 150ft range. We moved around alot looking at some of my previously good spots, so i figure its going to be real good the next time i get out on the lake. Ice was clear and asolid 5 everywhere we walked. It seemed like the ice was shifting at times and im wondering if its because of all the people on the lake that have bubblers going so shores are open in those spots hmmmmmm

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Jim, have you been up to 3 Mile yet? Had some guys asking about it.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Jim, have you been up to 3 Mile yet? Had some guys asking about it.

No, but one of the guys that I fished with today drove by there this morning. Said it looked like a Wal- Mart parking lot. Said there were cars parked up on St Rt 80. He said there were quite a few at 5 Mile also.
  That was nuts today at Public Landing! All those guys with the ice boats blocking the launch didn't help things. I heard yesterday that the fishemen have run them off Cando after some close calls with people and equipment. At least 3 of those boats belong to a guy from Richfield who lives right next to the Cando boat launch.
     I have already heard the town busybodies have been b***hing about it. They will be closing it down to non residents I am sure. Too bad, as access is so limited on Otsego, and that is a good spot because it is level with the lake. Not my favorite place to fish, but it works.

Jim

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2013, 02:57 AM »
Thats what happens with www.[world wide web] :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.