Author Topic: Land Lock Salmon  (Read 3607 times)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Land Lock Salmon
« on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:08 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has successful landlock salmon techniques for ice fishing they would like to share?

I just realized that they stock a local lake w/ landlocks every year.. I never here of anyone catching them.. There must be a secret! I have fished the lake successfully for Bows and Browns!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Land Lock Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2004, 01:47 PM »
I tend to fish bigger lakes for them, but I'm sure it would apply to smaller ones as well. We fish smelt or spottails (I'm sure any minnow would work) about 2-4' under the ice. We generally fish the breaklines on reefs and sand bars.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Coldbum - In Mass. where they stock Broodstock alantic salmon I like to use large shiners 2-4ft under the ice,and other locations this idea works well.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline mainefishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2004, 04:44 PM »
here in maine we use smelt under the ice by a few inches to a few feet... they seem to like deep water tho the other day we were suprised to catch 2 19-20 inch salmon in 4 ft of water

Offline IceJeSTeR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fire and Ice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 01:10 PM »
I was fishing for salmon on Lake George in New York and we were using ice sickle minnows about 10 feet under the ice in 50 feet of water. Did not have any luck. From what you are all saying, maybe we had the bait to far down...
:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2004, 01:57 PM »
we use shrimp for them in alaska.  They tend to spred throughout the lake.  Try the deeper spots of the lake and vary your depths...if you have electronics they will come in handy for finding them, though i don't use them.  I've caught over fifty salmon in a couple hours, so once you find them they usually bite good.  The upper part of the water columb will likely be better than the lower part.

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:24 PM »
do what i do, try not to catch them, they always seem to bite when i don't want them

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2004, 08:14 AM »
I was fishing for salmon on Lake George in New York and we were using ice sickle minnows about 10 feet under the ice in 50 feet of water. Did not have any luck. From what you are all saying, maybe we had the bait to far down...
Salmon on L.G.
                          Jester,
                                  You mention setting your tips at 10'.Try staggering your depths from 3' to 30'.If you have 10 tipups set them in 3' increments. If after an hour or so you get nothing then put a few a little deeper but not deeper than 40'.Let the flags you get determine your depth. Also,Stay away from the tips that are set high because salmon are noise shy.I used to drill my holes the nite before and get up there before light just to make sure I could get those holes.When guys would come out and power drill their holes I would get flags. ;D

Offline IceJeSTeR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fire and Ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:30 AM »
Thanks Jack, I'll try that next time out... I was also told to cover the holes with bait only a few feet under the ice so no light gets in. I will be attempting these tactics this Saturday on Lake George... hopefully we get into some nice salmon.
:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline chetter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My little fish slayer!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:45 AM »
Went to Long Pond on Mount Desert Island the other day and between the 2 of us cought 13 legal salmon the biggest being 22" ........smallest 15". I fished my gear about  3' to 8' deep and cought 8 of them and the biggest one, I cought them on crawlers and golden shiners. My friend used just crawlers about 3'-4' off bottom and did pretty good.

temp. +3

time from 7 am to 4 pm

ice 13"

;D

East of the Cheesehouse!!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2004, 11:01 PM »
Jester,
          My son and I caught a number of lakers and salmon last Sat. morning. Only two legal salmon one 22'' at 12' down and a 24'' at 27' down using small suckers. GOOD LUCK !!!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.