Author Topic: Mealworms....maggots....spikes??  (Read 1991 times)

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
Mealworms....maggots....spikes??
« on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:07 AM »
I have been using mealworms for the longest time for trout in my area, mostly because that is all that is available at the stores here.  I always tip my teardrop jigs & spoons with a mealworm.
I would like to try something different by ordering bulk over the internet & am considering getting either spikes or mealworms.  Anybody have better luck using either of these over mealworms?

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mealworms....maggots....spikes??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:26 AM »
Try maggots for sure, 3-5 on the hook at a time.  They stay on the hook better than mealworms.

Offline BlueNorther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Try maggots for sure, 3-5 on the hook at a time.  They stay on the hook better than mealworms.

I agree. I've had great success using meal worms but they're usually only good for one hit and then they're gone. Last season on a small irrigation res. I caught 6 trout on the same maggots before I had to replace them.

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:55 PM »
waxworms are a good bait.  much better than meal worms in my opinion.  Not really tough, but they are actually better when they get ripped and leak out all that good worm stuff.  Easy bait to keep.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:16 PM »
I started out using meal worms,Switched to wax worms. Much better.I tried mousies a few years back with little success. I'm trying spikes this year and earlier in the season they were working at times but now,not as much.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:01 PM »
waxworms are a good bait.  much better than meal worms in my opinion.  Not really tough, but they are actually better when they get ripped and leak out all that good worm stuff.  Easy bait to keep.

x2 ive had great luck with waxies. trout love them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.