Author Topic: Needed-advice on buying an ATV  (Read 10458 times)

Fishmon

Re: Needed-advice on buying an ATV
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Way off - I run 6 - 8 depending on the type of riding, i.e. hard or soft ground.

Check your owner's manual.  I think it will say anywhere from 5-8 psi.  Would like to hear from others on this.

Fishmon

« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Ooops! Wrong quote; I meant to include the one that said tires were rated for 36psi.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:12 PM »
I run 5 in my honda 450.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Ooops! Wrong quote; I meant to include the one that said tires were rated for 36psi.

That 36 PSI is a DON'T exceed pressure for beading, not operational pressure.

YIKES!!

Rocky terrain etc I've run down to 3-4psi, certain times it can also help with additional traction. Normal as stated above is 5-8 PSI.
For some hard surfaces like road riding you can go 9-10 just to reduce fuel usage & perhaps a bit more speed.

Heck even guys on 2wd race quads fighting for all the speed they can get don't exceed 10.  They will often run split pressure slightly higher in the front & lower in the back, less resistanc up front, but still have traction

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:18 PM »
ARCTIC CAT450.  Nice overall machine ,plenty of power for most work.  Cooks Recreation in Tully NY has a 450 and a 500 left over from 2014 sale priced around 5k.  6lbs. air for me.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Does anyone have a 2-up atv? We are looking at the 2015 Polaris 570 and 850. We are wondering if the 570 is enough for approx. 500lbs on the wheeler(2 people, auger, some gear). And towing a shanty behind, probably 100-200lbs. We are thinking the 850 would be a little better in some deeper snow with all the weight. But is the 850 over kill? Or would the 570 do the job? We just dont want to have to struggle in some situations! Thank you guys!
Loving the Adirondacks.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Does anyone have a 2-up atv? We are looking at the 2015 Polaris 570 and 850. We are wondering if the 570 is enough for approx. 500lbs on the wheeler(2 people, auger, some gear). And towing a shanty behind, probably 100-200lbs. We are thinking the 850 would be a little better in some deeper snow with all the weight. But is the 850 over kill? Or would the 570 do the job? We just dont want to have to struggle in some situations! Thank you guys!

I would say YES.  I have a Polaris 550 and travel with two big guys, gear and towing two shelters.  No problem - also have tracks for when the conditions demand them i.e. lots of snow and sluch.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply! That was very needed, we have been calling all around the northern part of the state looking for 850's. I still think that the 570 down the road at the Polaris dealership is the better option. What amount of snow/slush limits you?
Loving the Adirondacks.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply! That was very needed, we have been calling all around the northern part of the state looking for 850's. I still think that the 570 down the road at the Polaris dealership is the better option. What amount of snow/slush limits you?
Generally - more than 14".  It's usually the snow with slush, a thin layer of ice with water between that and the real ice.  Got a buddy with a Polaris 500 and he goes pretty well with just his 4 stock tires, until we get the snow and slush.

Fishmon

« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Make sure that you can put chains on whatever you buy.  Some of the brands don't have sufficient clearances to run chains.  IMO you do not need the power of a bigger machine for ice fishing.  Anything from a 250 up will pull your gear on the ice.  If you do some serious off roading or trails, get a bigger machine.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:35 PM »
RIght on the chains fitting - the Polaris 500s with the strut suspension (don't know about the 570s) do not have clearance between the tire and strut for chains.  No the end - you can use tire screws up front.  To be honest - I would never go back to chains, not after using ice screws.  And I would not go smaller than a 500.  You get into some snow and slush you will need the power of the 500 - not to mention they have bigger frames with more ground clearance.  Also, get a winch and be prepared to "pull" yourself out.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:42 PM »
We ended up purchasing a 2015 Can-Am Outlander MAX 650 xt. It really has all of the specs we wanted and more. Looks like it will be a great quad and definitely worth the money.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:00 PM »
We ended up purchasing a 2015 Can-Am Outlander MAX 650 xt. It really has all of the specs we wanted and more. Looks like it will be a great quad and definitely worth the money.

I just bought that same one without the MAX in camo two weeks ago. Love it so far as I got it mostly to plow the driveway, haul wood and of course ice fish. No plow on it as I'm waiting to get 10 hours on the motor before I do so.

TO THE TOPIC: I tested two other makes of ATV's and for what I mainly wanted it for I felt this one was best for me so I would recommend testing a few and go with your gut.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Awsome thats great to hear, we are picking it up tomorrow and might give it a drive on the lake. According to my dad when i take it out myself i get the grey key...(the one that max's the speed out at 40 or 45)
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:32 PM »
You will love the canam..........tons of power......rides like a Cadillac and extremely reliable.  I have had many different brands of wheelers and my canam is by  far the best and hasn't given me a problem

Fishmon

« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Be careful with speed until you get used to machine.  They can swap ends in a hurry on the ice and get sideways against a  pressure ridge which will get you a trip to the emergency room.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I'll be honest I grab a key and go. I really don't need to go 45 myself. Best thing so far is the three different levels of power steering. You can have the thing sit in idle and steer with one finger (though I wouldn't try it when moving.hehe) I also agree with fishmon that's something I wouldn't thought of myself and glad it was mentionend.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Oh for sure i wouldnt even hit the 40 mph max on that key, ill be towing a bucket of minnows and a tent. Cant afford flipping that sled. Cant wait to get it out there though!
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline icefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:48 PM »
RIght on the chains fitting - the Polaris 500s with the strut suspension (don't know about the 570s) do not have clearance between the tire and strut for chains.  No the end - you can use tire screws up front.  To be honest - I would never go back to chains, not after using ice screws.  And I would not go smaller than a 500.  You get into some snow and slush you will need the power of the 500 - not to mention they have bigger frames with more ground clearance.  Also, get a winch and be prepared to "pull" yourself out.
The struts in the front?  Because right in your owners manual it tells you not to run chains on front.

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:26 PM »
my brother has a can-am 650 i have a polaris 800 efi so far nether one has had to pull the other out of any thing we have been through snow or mud. and i have plowed snow so deep it surprised me it went through.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #50 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Nice - you are going to like that machine.  All the power you will ever need (note I did not say want).  ;D

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:51 PM »
We looked more into the specs but the horse power was an added bonus :D
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:17 PM »
As both a PowerSports Dealer (Polaris, Kawasaki, Victory, New Holland, StarCraft & Mercury Outboards), and a long time ice fisherman, let me say your best choice in ATVs is also tied heavily to what you are willing to spend...  Many good comments and suggestions have already been made -- in terms of features, you definitely want at least 4WD and automatic transmission, and EFI is a definite plus for starting in the cold -- a rear set of V-Bar chains is a must -- nice to haves would be heated hand grips/thumb warmer and a windshield!  A real good combination of features and value is the Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI (Base model MSRP is $6,499).  You mentioned 2 of you fishing together -- if you will only have one machine, then the Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring would be another good choice for transporting 2 persons comfortably (Base model MSRP is $7,699)...  If you have the budget, then you can consider larger engines/more power 750 or 850cc twins, or more luxury features like EPS (Electronic Power Steering) or Limited Edition models with aluminum alloy wheels, painted finishes and so on...!

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Yeah we went with the aluminum wheels, eps, front/rear bumpers. We weren't trying to spend the most amount of money just wanted it to be a long term investment. Also with the shock the can am machine has a few different features compared to the other brands. The features made it seem to me that they have it figured out more so than the other brands.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #54 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:47 PM »
"Some times you get the bear, some times the bear gets you". 

Another Grizzly fan here.

Chris Raymond

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:03 PM »
We couldn't get the grizzly because it doesn't legally hold 2 passangers. They don't make a 2 up machine.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #56 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:07 PM »
We couldn't get the grizzly because it doesn't legally hold 2 passangers. They don't make a 2 up machine.

Oops, missed that.  when I was making my decision, my runner up choice was a Outlander.  I wanted the smaller footprint the Grizzly offered so as to be able to haul it in the bed of my truck when wearing regular rubber. 
Chris Raymond

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Yeah there was great feedback on the grizzly and when we found out about the legality of two riders we needed more options. The 3 that made 2 ups were can am, arctic cat, and polaris.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Are you certain you want to go with an ATV? I have the Argo pictured below and love it. I can haul 6 guys legally, made up a custom sleigh that would haul a small pick up around, and with the tracks I am have yet to get it stuck even in 3' of snow. They are not speed demons, but I can use mine much earlier and later in the season than any ATV or UTV. Besides, if it were to go through the ice they float and can climb back onto the ice again.

[][/img]

Offline Tomkeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:54 AM »
I have a honda 450 forman my brother has a kawi 800, he love the Honda no rattles and starts every time
2014 Bennington Pontoon Boat! 22SSX

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.