The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St albans  (Read 12348 times)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: St albans
« Reply #60 on: Mar 25, 2017, 01:57 PM »
That's good you got into them.
Hopefully the guys that drove up from NYC did well.

That's why I go early in the am, noise scares them away until quiets back up. We drill all our holes first thing then move around to them all day.
If there's no snow even sleds being dragged on the ice will spook them.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Mar 25, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Fish were being skittish early, around 11 there was a solid school but they were requiring a lot of effort to coax a bite. The NYC guys were having a blast, they are getting a hotel to fish again tomorrow.

That's why I go early in the am, noise scares them away until quiets back up. We drill all our holes first thing then move around to them all day.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Mar 25, 2017, 03:30 PM »
My girlfriend and I got 3.5 buckets in 6 hours, with some big 12" plus fish in the mix. Like shiveringjoe said, were tough to pin down in the morning, but got more consistent in the PM. Pink hali chain jigs tipped with crawler was our hot jig today. My friend Kelly got about 4 buckets and dumped them onto the snow. I took my new drone for its first flight, and got video of her making a "fish angel" in the fish from above. Pretty entertaining.

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Mar 25, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I'm sure I am not the only one who wondered about the white perch.
I fish better Hungry.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Mar 25, 2017, 05:15 PM »

It is good that you mentioned that and since this site is a good place especially for newer fishermen to get info the subject of dragging a sled up to someone who is fishing needs to be talked about. I was always taught years ago by some really good fishermen that if you want to talk to someone who is fishing leave the sled or wheeler a little ways away and walk over. It is just plain rude to drag a sled right into the middle of people who are fishing. I am sure many who do that don't realize how easily fish like large perch will get spooked.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 25, 2017, 05:26 PM »
It is good that you mentioned that and since this site is a good place especially for newer fishermen to get info the subject of dragging a sled up to someone who is fishing needs to be talked about. I was always taught years ago by some really good fishermen that if you want to talk to someone who is fishing leave the sled or wheeler a little ways away and walk over. It is just plain rude to drag a sled right into the middle of people who are fishing. I am sure many who do that don't realize how easily fish like large perch will get spooked.

I use to have that problem when I fished white perch and people would come right up and fish holes that I drilled just 10 feet away. If people just ask I wouldn't care since its a species that needs to be wiped out. Plus starting your power auger up in between 10 fisherman and drilling a bunch of holes isn't a very welcoming.

But other than that, it looks like I will be out there before sunrise hoping to fill my 55 gallon plastic drum!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 25, 2017, 05:40 PM »
I seen so many buckets of fish today !!!

Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Mar 25, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Profish was practically a fish conveyor belt when I went home, I want to know what his total was. I just finished cleaning my fish, probably have 15 pounds for the freezer.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #68 on: Mar 25, 2017, 07:44 PM »
110lbs today not bad bite slowed left around 2
First and last time to the big lake this ice season.
Great seeing my ice shanty friends today!
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Mar 25, 2017, 10:57 PM »
I also just finished filleting 1 1/2 pails of white perch. People were leaving as my buddy & I arrived around 3:30pm. Fishing was what  the ocean party boat skippers call a " steady pick". We had a fun time & an excellent supper.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 26, 2017, 03:04 PM »
Got to St Albans bay around 7 and was surprised to be the only one out there with the exception of two others that walked on right after me. I was guessing Sunday was a sleep in day. The bite was crazy from the time I got set-up until around 10/1030 and it got really slow and soon died off at 11. When people starting coming out around 8 there had to be 30 fisherman out there, but I had more luck staying away from the group and managed to catch everything out of one hole. Ended up with a pail of fish which came out to 45lbs in the first 3 hours I was there and after 10 I only caught 4 or 5. After leaving at 12 I decided to measure a couple of big fish I caught during the sunrise and both happened to be Master Angler fish. So I'd say for my last time out due to the incoming rain it was a good end of the season trip.

Offline Profish169

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Mar 27, 2017, 06:43 AM »
went to st albans on saturday got there around 9 ended up leaving around 1 i ended up with almost 3 pails full of whites

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Mar 27, 2017, 07:10 AM »
That's good everyone got into them, good way to end the season.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 27, 2017, 02:24 PM »
it's nice to see you guys and gals finally had some susses on the perch. Do you think ice will safe on Wednesday?
i am looking for enough for one good fish fry.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 27, 2017, 05:34 PM »
catfish - I hope to be on the ice tomorrow morning. I'll be sure and post ice- & fishing conditions.

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Mar 27, 2017, 06:03 PM »
thanks Lingcod hope you get in them BE Safe

Offline pwicefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Mar 27, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Hopefully going to give it a shot tomorrow, did anyone venture out there today?

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Mar 28, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Vtcountrychamp .... Perchbait and I were out there most of the day on Sunday, as well.  We did pretty good, but we definitely had to work for them at times.  I did watch PB catch over 40 from 1 hole later in the day, though, after the bite had died off.  I think I caught 15 in that time and was fishing 8' from him!  We left around 3:30 or so, I think.  Sold a bunch and took home 1 full bucket to clean.  Had a good meal and 2 big bags of fillets are now in the freezer.  Great way to end our ice fishing season!  Hopefully PB will post a story.

We ran into the guys from Brooklyn at the bait shop in the morning before we hit the ice.  They bought a Jet Sled and some other fishing paraphernalia.  Hopefully they got into them again.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #78 on: Mar 28, 2017, 12:04 PM »
There will definitley be a report coming soon!  :)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Mar 28, 2017, 12:51 PM »
Any word on what is left for ice? Wondering if the rain and warmth has finally killed it, or if I can sneak out tomorrow.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #80 on: Mar 28, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Any word on what is left for ice? Wondering if the rain and warmth has finally killed it, or if I can sneak out tomorrow.
It's gonna be sloppy out there for sure. Just be careful if you head towards shore north of Hathaways. There was only 4 or so inches of ice in that way. From the Kilcare Launch out to directly between the can and the point there was a healthy 6 to 8 inches of ice. Drill as you go and GOOD luck! A spud bar would be a helpful tool late ice like this.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Mar 28, 2017, 02:13 PM »
DiD you fish PB???

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #82 on: Mar 28, 2017, 03:20 PM »
DiD you fish PB???
Not today, but Sunday.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Mar 28, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Anyone have a report from today? Have a buddy who wants to take a crack at some whites, but he lives in the NEK, so it's a long drive. Want to be sure it's safe out there still! Thanks!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:35 PM »
They're in magog no reason to drive to Champlain.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #85 on: Mar 28, 2017, 07:40 PM »
They're in magog no reason to drive to Champlain.
There are some Slab Whites in Lake Parker too, doesn't mean that you're going to catch 100+ pounds of them.  ;) (In one day at least)

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:53 PM »
I was out today. I wrote a report but I must've messed up in posting it early afternoon. Slow day, fished 8-noon & caught less than 1/2 bucket. Maybe 12 people  fishing, all near each other. Ice was OK, 7 inches plus but prior snow turned to slush in most places, rubber boots advised as well as spikes if top freezes over tonight. Fish didn't stay put , those with electronics were always on the move. Good Luck & Be Safe.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Mar 29, 2017, 11:18 AM »
There will definitley be a report coming soon!  :)

I was out there Sunday afternoon got on around 2:30, never saw you guys...
Glad you got on some!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Mar 29, 2017, 12:06 PM »
How'd they bite for you, Mudchuck?  They had pretty much shut off for us around the time you got there.  I think we left around 3:30 or so.

Offline Pickerelslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Mar 29, 2017, 01:31 PM »
We went out today, there's still about 6 inches of ice. The bite was steady from 7-11 then slowed a bit. Fish are still there tho,  we got 3 buckets full and had to start filling the sleds. Was a great possible last outing. Sunday's fish were bigger than the ones today but definitely still fun. One of my buddies lost a real nice pike at the hole and another guy near us caught a nice one. Anyone going out just need to watch out for some of the old holes that are staying open but hopefully the cold nights coming will make the ice stay for a little longer. Good luck and tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.