The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glen Lake  (Read 20836 times)

Offline Pike Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glen Lake
« on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:19 PM »
I was thinking about heading out to Glen Lake this weekend or next and didn't know if anybody had fished it yet this winter.  Any info is greatly appreciated. 

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
Re: Glen Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:34 PM »
I was thinking about heading out to Glen Lake this weekend or next and didn't know if anybody had fished it yet this winter.  Any info is greatly appreciated. 
I 2nd this notion!!  ;D

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline Quackslapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:18 AM »
I can't give you much info on how the bite is because I only fished it once and got skunked.. >:(... From the east side the channel at the spillway was sketchy. Using the short trail across the point puts you on about 8-10 inches of ice. There were quite a few people fishing the west side but I have no clue what they were catching. There are a few shanty's out there. Not alot of info but hopefully it helps some...

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:22 AM »
Glen has some of the biggest northerns in the state,lotsa rainbows, perch and crappies in the shallows,bass too,,have heard the panfish are buggy,though,,,,,i haven't been there myself this year,yet

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:47 AM »
How far is it from Steve's Bait shop? Headed that way this weekend, heard good thing about Glenn but also heard it can be slowww.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:57 AM »
How far is it from Steve's Bait shop? Headed that way this weekend, heard good thing about Glenn but also heard it can be slowww.

Run ya about 1hr30 to 1hr45.  Big pike, but SLOW fishing.  Lots of bows to keep them fat and happy.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Run ya about 1hr30 to 1hr45.  Big pike, but SLOW fishing.  Lots of bows to keep them fat and happy.

dang that is a hike! looks like I wont be headin there this weekend
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:12 AM »
i will testify that some of Biggest Blue Gills i ever caught came for Glen lake .. i am talking 10-12 inch gills But i have not fished there this year..Good luck
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Bruscus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:15 PM »
I have the VT State record Northern Pike hanging on the wall of my tackle shop at Holiday Harbor in North Hero caught by Bernie Golob in Glen Lake in 1977.  Bernie said he caught it in 3' of water but I'm not sure where on Glen he was fishing.  Sadly, Bernie has passed on but the fish is a great tribute to him and to  great little piece of VT water.

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Toms bait shop is 20 minutes from Glen. Joe Bruno is the legendary pike fisherman of glen and will fish for days waiting for the big one. but he doesnt talk ...the great ones never do

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:52 PM »
also great for smallys in the summer and rainbows

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:02 AM »
Toms bait shop is 20 minutes from Glen. Joe Bruno is the legendary pike fisherman of glen and will fish for days waiting for the big one. but he doesnt talk ...the great ones never do

He will talk if you get to close to his shanty.......

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:50 AM »
Toms bait shop is 20 minutes from Glen. Joe Bruno is the legendary pike fisherman of glen and will fish for days waiting for the big one. but he doesn't talk ...the great ones never do
    Joes  not just legendary for his pike fishing .He's also legendary for his chats   with other fishermen when they set up to close to him. :roflmao: :icefish:

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:21 AM »
i dont blame him ,do you follow somebody around that gets a big buck every year and hang a stand 50 feet from his stand .it is a big lake go find another spot and give people some space and he is a nice guy if you get to know him .                           andrew

Offline Myke Wells

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Thought this was a site about ice fishing, not a whining session.People have been that way for years.Find another spot, its that simple.
Unclebuck

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:01 AM »
45 TO 50 tip-ups how many are you allowed?If I every head up to Glenn I will set up where ever I want,no one owns the lake.

Offline KAJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:09 AM »
No he has 8... but they cover a vast amount of water. He tends to them by 4 wheeler.
Set up 30 yards from his traps, and it's on.....

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:47 PM »
Oh one of those guys

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Ya one of those guys. One of those guys who has got 3 over 20 pounds on his wall. Most people talk on this website about trying to catch huge fish and how they wanna go here or there. The fact of the matter is his shanty is there and he has a right to get mad. He works hard for the fish he catchs and just wants to be left alone. Not to have people talk about him on a web site to learn about fishing. Bottom line is he throws back fish bigger than most people will ever catch. If u feel the need to put him down walk over to his shanty and tell him. Don't sit on this website and bad mouth the best pike fisherman for catching fish and wanting to be left alone. Find your own spot and get over it.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Ya one of those guys. One of those guys who has got 3 over 20 pounds on his wall. Most people talk on this website about trying to catch huge fish and how they wanna go here or there. The fact of the matter is his shanty is there and he has a right to get mad. He works hard for the fish he catchs and just wants to be left alone. Not to have people talk about him on a web site to learn about fishing. Bottom line is he throws back fish bigger than most people will ever catch. If u feel the need to put him down walk over to his shanty and tell him. Don't sit on this website and bad mouth the best pike fisherman for catching fish and wanting to be left alone. Find your own spot and get over it.

well said

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Proof is in the pudding people, guy catches fish.  He has a spot and he fishes it.  Most are just jealous of his success.  Go find your own spot, and catch a fish like he has.  I have met him before and he was a nice guy.  Gets a bad rap because people always want to set up too close.  I have told people to grab their stuff and head to the other end of the lake too, I don't need my lines getting tangled up with someone's traps because they want to fish in my back pocket.  Venture out and fish in a different spot.  When someone is already in a spot, don't get any closer than 100 yds, because now you stand the possibility of interfering with a fish that goes on a long run.
My dream is clear, it involves fishin' n beer

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2012, 03:40 PM »
I would not set up nere his shanty if someone where fishing out of it,but if I'am on a lake and see a shanty and no one is fishing out of it and I think the spot is a good one I would fish it.,same goes to me my shanty there I'am not fishing out of it feel free to fish the area.

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2012, 03:45 PM »
alrighty then ... sorry i brought joe's name up. never ice fished glen just heard about him and saw the documentary on him on VPT.  great place to fish in the summer no pressure and great smally fishin

Offline Quackslapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:00 PM »
I would not set up nere his shanty if someone where fishing out of it,but if I'am on a lake and see a shanty and no one is fishing out of it and I think the spot is a good one I would fish it.,same goes to me my shanty there I'am not fishing out of it feel free to fish the area.

Exactly... I would never fish in somebodies back pocket... I usually try to do the opposite. And he is the master of that place for sure just like Tom E was the master of Bomo and Lake George (or any where else for that matter). All the locals know he fishes it and usually let it be and that is only a courtesy... But the other side of the coin is I really don't want to hear any gum flappin because I'm within 100 yards of a tip up that is 300 yards from a shanty. That puddle is only so big... Either way I do like it there in the summer...

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:03 PM »

Yeah.....  Exactly what this guy is saying.  F*** everyone who puts a shanty in a spot and thinks it's there spot.  NO IT ISN'T!  If I set up in a spot and somone comes over and gives me a hard time and harrasses me I WILL call the game wardens and have them come out and explain to you that it is illegal to harrass a hunter or fisherman.  And yes that meens fisherman to fisherman harrassment. 

Can't we all just leave one another alone, and get along? 

Offline getemup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:09 PM »
is glenn fished a lot in the winter....i mean isn't Bomo RIGHT there?   And I always see quite a few post about Bomo, but rarely many about glenn?  Figured since most of the BIG pike in the state come from there, that's where id be!!  But then again I don't catch anything anyways so....maybe ill go bug Joe!   ;)

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:16 PM »
getumup correct me if im wrong but i believe your the guy who drinks heavily while TRYING to ice fish. try rehab THEN try ice fishing

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Proof is in the pudding people, guy catches fish.  He has a spot and he fishes it.  Most are just jealous of his success.  Go find your own spot, and catch a fish like he has.  I have met him before and he was a nice guy.  Gets a bad rap because people always want to set up too close.  I have told people to grab their stuff and head to the other end of the lake too, I don't need my lines getting tangled up with someone's traps because they want to fish in my back pocket.  Venture out and fish in a different spot.  When someone is already in a spot, don't get any closer than 100 yds, because now you stand the possibility of interfering with a fish that goes on a long run.
HHey Woody! are you one of the cheerleaders aHaHaHa

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:31 PM »
No he has 8... but they cover a vast amount of water. He tends to them by 4 wheeler.
Set up 30 yards from his traps, and it's on.....
...which doesn't really seem to lend itself to VT F&W's "immediate control over all lines."  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:21 AM »
I didn't mean any disrespect to Joe I've personally fished with him and he is a good guy and dedicated pike fisherman. My message was don't  be crowding the guy fishing.
x2 :thumbsup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.