The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: VT Deer  (Read 18718 times)

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: VT Deer
« Reply #180 on: Feb 10, 2011, 12:09 AM »
If interested check out today's issue (Wed the 9th of Feb) the Burlington Free Press. 

Doug Nelson's canned and captive hunting park is finally getting some hear from the state.  We should look at what elected Vermont officials did behind closed doors to create this mess!

The Nelson's imported Elk over 10 years ago and put them in two enclosed structures and sells the "hunts" to the highest bidders.  These areas now are home to dozens and dozens of our animals and Nelson is claiming he owns them!!! He plans on selling Whitetail and Moose hunts in the future for his profit!!!

If the state doesn't act soon something very bad will happen.  Putting unnatural over populations of  Deer, Moose, and Elk together in a pen will eventually lead to Chronic Wasting or a host of other plagues.

If you are from the NEK ....  boycott the Cow Palace also owned by the Nelson family!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:26 AM »
Its all BS as far as I am concern ,No differant then some one posting there property it theirs to do what they want with .The animals might just as well be theirs as you can't get to them legally ,just a pi$$ing match between a bunch of do gooders and nelson!Time to move on let young Pete live in peace!BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline Big Ben

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://docksideoutdoors.com/
« Reply #182 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:51 AM »
If he can have a moose I want a deer!

I want to drive around during deer season with a nice 6 or 8 point sitting next to me. ;D

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #183 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:19 AM »
yup.  it is STILL illegal to contain moose and whitetailed deer in the state of vermont.  what's the question?  Get 'em out, or exterminate and feed the hungry.  Nelson isn't above the law.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #184 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Its all BS as far as I am concern ,No differant then some one posting there property it theirs to do what they want with .The animals might just as well be theirs as you can't get to them legally ,just a pi$$ing match between a bunch of do gooders and nelson!Time to move on let young Pete live in peace!BB

Don't really know the exact situation but from what I gather this guy has a fenced in chunk of land??  Well I don't see how fencing in your land and posting it are the same thing.  The animals can leave in one instance and not in the other.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #185 on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Don't really know the exact situation but from what I gather this guy has a fenced in chunk of land??  Well I don't see how fencing in your land and posting it are the same thing.  The animals can leave in one instance and not in the other.
illegal to erect a fence and contain deer inside that fence, which is what happened with Nelson.  Want to fence off your land?  Fine by me.  Want to post every inch of it?  Well, that's your prerogative.  Wish to trap the deer which belong to woodab17 and vermonner?  No way, sir. 

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Feb 10, 2011, 02:03 PM »
How about baiting deer and moose to go into your fenced-in pen?  Sounds like Nelson is inviting the state to a showdown that will end up costing us $ in time and resources.  Too bad. 

Vermont's a small state and chronic wasting can make it overnight out from Orleans county to Windsor in a short time!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:18 PM »

If you followed this from the begining I think you would see it is not about the deer its about a moose that was injured  they raised up then put in the encloser, the state has been fighting with Nelson from day 1 about something.I just think its a waste of time and money to fight this fight.

Big Ben if you want a deer get a permit throw up a fence and start a deer farm, then they will be staulking you for something.

Leave young Pete be!!

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:22 PM »
It's not much of a smoke screen .... the real issue is not about "saving" the life of a poor injured moose that needed refuge.  Through shady politics Nelson was granted the power that no one else has in our state. 

The issues that should greatly concern us as Vermont outdoorsmen are ...

-No one should be able to capture, feed, shoot, then profit from our Vermont wildlife. 

-Highly contagious diseases are a strong possibility when multiple species are kept in these numbers in a confined area

-Canned hunting is bad for the image of our beloved sport and should not be considered a "sport" but instead what it is ....  a rather large slaughter house with a cash register instead of a reporting station.

I've followed this saga longer than you can imagine as I live down the road from this travesty.  Are you lucky to be a 100 or so miles away?  Maybe that's far enough for now?

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:30 PM »
can't remember last time i caught a deer through the ice!

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #190 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:46 AM »
can't remember last time i caught a deer through the ice!
Somewhere about 2000 there was a dead doe in the middle of Bomo  ;D  It looked like she was hit by a car & ran onto the lake....

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline ifslob28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:57 AM »
the news said the other night that there are as many as 9 moose and 140 deer in his pen now which makes the problem a lot more than just about Pete the Moose.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Mr. Nelson, owns more land, around this area, which isn't posted for Hunting, but if the State pursues this issue, I see that he will post the rest of his Farm land, around this area.  We got Wind-towers being proposed on the Lowell Mtn Range which will only hurt the area more and destroy more habitat for Moose, Black bear, Mtn lions, Whitetail deer, etc.  Also, the Streams and Rivers will be affected, as this Wind-tower project, is asking for a permit to discharge Stormwater runoff from the construction of the Kingdom Community Wind Project.  Most of this area, is being Posted, for Hunting now.  This project will have to blast up Bedrock, on the Ridgeline, to place these Towers, to be incased in the ground.  Losing more Hunting and Fishing grounds. 

Offline anglerross

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Let's see if I got this correct. I can fence my 10 acres,lure deer in ,close the gate and hunt whenever I want?

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:40 PM »
We as Hunters and Fishermen, need to start asking more questions, to our local State Reps and Senators, about Hunting and Fishing laws, that come up in the Leg!  Dont' think that the Game wardens, etc, will tell you.  If you want to save open land, for Hunting and Fishing in Vermont now.  With lost of Hunting land and Fishing area's, because of individuals, and Co's, who move here and are taking over, the Vermont Public Service Board, and others, who have the money, and can and will find a way, of destroying, the Hunting and Fishing area's, so they can make big money, for themselves.
They use the Vermont Laws on the books, and can afford, high priced Lawyers, to bring in destruction, of Vermont Natural Resources.  Sorryful thing, with all of the people who are employee's,  in the Vermont Natural Resources and Vt Fish and Game Dept, you would think that they would be fighting for our rights and the Fish and Game, that they were surpose to protect?  Vermont is a small State, but having a high percentage, of Natural resources individuals and Fish and Game employee's, then you would think, that they would be saying nay, to the Wind towers, on the Lowell Mtn Range?  Like when I went up to the PSB meeting in Lowell, Vt a couple monthes ago.  The three PSB members, stated, that you could speak, but you had no say, about the project.  The Vermont Natural Resources, and Fish and Game Dept, are speaking for you?

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #195 on: Feb 16, 2011, 04:20 PM »
 My Nephew and I, went up to our Hunting Camp, to see about taking the Snow off of it, as you know, this year, we have had alot of Snow/Sleet, etc.  Well, there was between 25-30 inches of Snow on the Camp Roof, Outhouse (Latrine) and Spring.  I had to make it up with Snowshoes, but my Nephew being a younger individual could make his way up, in my Snowshoe path.  As, we were making our way up on the road to Camp, there were Deer tracks, and I saw, that they were eating the Spruce and Pine branches.  Also, some Rabbit tracks.  There must be about 30 inches of Snow on the Ground or more, right now, as of today in this area. Thought I would let you know, what we got for Snow, in the woods, up this way, and what I saw, about what, the Deer are eating right now, in the area, in the NEK.  Hope, for a early Spring, in my area.  Not sure, what, these Snow conditions, will do, on the Wild Turkey population in my area, as I didn't see any  Sign of them?

Offline ifslob28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:27 AM »
I talked to a taxidermist a couple weeks ago that said the turkey kill is going to be around 40% after the last storm.

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #197 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Not sure, what, these Snow conditions, will do, on the Wild Turkey population in my area, as I didn't see any  Sign of them?

Wild Turkey seems to flow every year during sugaring season just fine! Regardless of how bad or good the winter was  ;D

Offline Champlaingler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I hate snow!!!
« Reply #198 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I live in Peru NY and the thunderchicken population here seems just fine. I hear yelps almost every day coming from the orchard across the road.
-Dave

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:46 AM »
i wish they'de have a year round season on them here in wells

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:07 AM »
with a limit of only 10 a day!!!!!

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #201 on: Feb 19, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I agree... the Turkey population needs to be reevaluated... In K2 I bet we could easily increase the limit to 2 spring toms & 2 any sex fall without causing a harmful impact

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Feb 20, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Yup, I agree, about the different area's of Vermont, for the harvest of Wild Turkey.  Not sure if the Fish and Game Bio's, are leasoning?  Or doing, what they were hired to do?  Its a job, but a good job, with State Benefits, etc.  The Vermont Licenced Fishermen, Fisherwomen and Hunters, who buy there licences, would also like a yearly report on:  How are the Wild Turkey are doing in there Districts, of there areas?  Boy, I think us, Fishermen, Fisherwomen and Hunters, would like a yearly report on the Vermont Fish and Game Website, that is updated, with reports?  Who is running the Vermont Fish and Game Website, by the way?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.