The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: killing northans  (Read 7543 times)

Offline dend54

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: killing northans
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:32 PM »
I spear and bowfish religously in the spring and have seen some huge pike while they are spawning. I did a bit on the channel 3 news last summer about bowfishing.

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:48 PM »
i just moved to the burlington area.  i catch a lot of pike, throw most back, keep some and eat them and their delicious

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Most people would be amazed by the amount of 10+ lb pike i see during bow season/spearing season.The numbers are still WELL up there.

Offline smartpill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:01 AM »
I think the state of VT needs a trophy management plan for Pike. Maybe a slot? I think the first thing they can stop is, shooting pike in the spring. 
Fish Rascal,
I could not agree with you more about folks shooting PIke in the Spring. People are shooting HUGE breeding females. In addition, I really do not see the sport in shooting Pike. I have ofter seen people in St. Albans bay shootinf Pike in less then 2 feet of water, standing right on top of them. Spawning Pike are lethargic and would appear to be an easy shot. I am all for terminating this sport!!!!

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:20 AM »
Pike are doing fine. Use bigger bait! Only a small "group" partake in the shooting. Leave our Vermont traditions alone! Already takeing away our farms. We don't want to become Conn. anymore than we want our milk to come from California!  www.dyingbreedranch.co m :flex:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:39 AM »
If it was up to me we'd be tightening regulations on many species with the goal of providing an opportunity for trophy sized fish for folks who work 9 to 5 and don't have time to pound the ice 4 to 7 days a week.  Personally I'd be much happier if folks were posting pictures of trophy pike at even half the rate of some of the other New England states.  My grandfather kept every fish he caught.  He was fur trader from canada.  There was a tradition I suppose.  But I don't see it as some big deal.  "tradition" is a word and no more.  I'd much rather be be catching 18 to 26 lb pike rather than 18" to 26" that you i typically spend all day waiting for in VT. JMHO.

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:14 AM »
Yes, I agree. If they are going to manage it should be for trophy opportunities. Fish or wildlife. They went from no regs. on northerns here on the conn. river to 1 fish 28in. min. daily. Lets just say, great move! Wish we had set hours so to be able to fish alot also. Miss those trips to Champlain on a regular basis. Farming is 24-7 and we are the fourth generation here with fifth on our heals! "TRADITON". It's in the heart/soul, as I will learn our grandchildren. AMEN.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I'm in favor of some sort of slot on northerns.  I would like to see more of them live to be in the trophy catagory.

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:14 PM »
i believe that tradition is something you cant give up. whether it be shooting pike or farming. i think only another farmer would understand the true meaning of tradition. and to the point of pike fishing. there shood be a slot for pike and you probably would see alot bigger ones coming through the ice after a few years. amen to the dyingbreed!

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:15 PM »
i have been fishing northans for a couple of years now.  i have noticed a decline in amount and weight.  i am not the guy saying don't kill them but if we keep on killing them there will be no more to catch.  i asked a local, in northan Vermont where the northans were, and he said "you cant catch them after you have skinned them".  now once again i am not saying to stop feeding your family, but we all know that alot of the fish taken off the lake are just thrown out or get freezer burn.  lets all think ahead 10 years.  do you still want to have as much fun catching northans as we do today?  i hope this post does not **censored** anyone off by lets think of the future of northans

thanks
bud-fish-er

I agree
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:30 PM »
If you catch it yours to do what ever you want with it, if your going to eat it, mount it that's find, if your going to throw it in the trash then throw it back in the hole,I know of 2 kept both over 20 and at least 8 or 10 over 10 pounds and a couple over 15 that went back down the hole.Just be sensible about it.BB

We may have to keep one next weekend so we can collect the $$ from the Benson Derby !! HeHe

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:06 PM »
i believe that tradition is something you cant give up. whether it be shooting pike or farming. i think only another farmer would understand the true meaning of tradition. and to the point of pike fishing. there shood be a slot for pike and you probably would see alot bigger ones coming through the ice after a few years. amen to the dyingbreed!

Tradition is not a precise term.  It can be good or it can be bad.  I think we would all agree that if i kept every fish i caught it would be bad.  It would not be sustainable.  The tradition of fishing is good.  Killing of the fishery through over harvest would be bad.  So the tradition of keeping every fish which my grandfather did would be a problem. 

Similarly the tradition of farming is good, but some tradition landuse prectices such as clearing the trees along the rive rbanks has proven very harmful to our fisheries among other things.

Sometimes, tradition (a faith and connection with the past) can be a problem when it blinds people to the problems som traditions cause.  You might ask what role tradition has had limiting our game fisheries.  Why are we fishing for small pike ( compared to MA and Ct) when we have the best habitat in New england?  Why are our regulation antiquated?   What happened to walleye in Vermont?  I remember the run of walleye in the Clyde in 1990.  Why are there so few shade trees on our Vermont Rivers compared to MA and CT?  Why is there an annual trout crisis on our rivers?  Ask yourself if tradition played a role in some way.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Look who owns most of the shore lines then ask where the tree went.

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #43 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:27 PM »
as a trophy pike fisher i think that some sort of slot or update of the legal limits is absolutely necessary.  I also believe that there needs to be some sort of personal ethics that each person should set for themselves.  if you are out for a meal, be smart and keep what you will eat.  if you are out to set records, be smart.  mount your first fish over 20 and then get very selective.  i also believe that with our fish transportation laws, many derbies provide with the choice of killing a fish, or not having a chance at money.  i think that if the intention is to release a fish back into the same body of water after weighing it, then transporting them alive should be okay.  but i expect neither myself, or any othe level-headed person to release a fish that could win them a grand or so.  some laws need to change, and some ethics need to come to fruition, but i cannot hold any actions against someone who is within the law.
My dream is clear, it involves fishin' n beer

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:05 PM »
as a trophy pike fisher i think that some sort of slot or update of the legal limits is absolutely necessary.  I also believe that there needs to be some sort of personal ethics that each person should set for themselves.  if you are out for a meal, be smart and keep what you will eat.  if you are out to set records, be smart.  mount your first fish over 20 and then get very selective.  i also believe that with our fish transportation laws, many derbies provide with the choice of killing a fish, or not having a chance at money.  i think that if the intention is to release a fish back into the same body of water after weighing it, then transporting them alive should be okay.  but i expect neither myself, or any othe level-headed person to release a fish that could win them a grand or so.  some laws need to change, and some ethics need to come to fruition, but i cannot hold any actions against someone who is within the law.

Agreed. 100%
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:35 AM »
Great link. I know the plight you speek of. I am constantly at battle with educating my father on conservation practices, Habitat improvement. As I drive around our great state and view some of the "traditional" practices in use.....it apols me. But to those whom have caried on "JUST" practices....we apploud you! Jacking deer, kiiling all you catch, cut that one there, take that one out, pile it there, dump it in the gully etc. no logic behind it. Only WE can teach and learn the upcoming generation which "traditions" are best for the future.....and which have had a devastating impact to it. Tradition, heritage touchy words to some and to others......GOSPAL!    Practice the good ones and learn the young ones. As for me, my TRADITIONS hang on the wall...next to my grandfathers portrait.  Let's start a TRADTIONS/HERITAGE post, pros./ cons.? Now that could become interesting!  Miss those walleye too.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:21 AM »
What to hell are you talking about none of the things you are sputtering about were ever called "JUST" atleast not in any of the post that I have read!!!BB

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:13 AM »
Sorry to hear that.....should I have used "positive practices" instead? I'm "just" another stupid farmer I guess. High flags to ya. :cookoo:

Offline Weedmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:44 AM »
BB, I don't believe Dying Breed  was saying deer jacking and keeping all you catch were the "just" practices. They
were seperate from them as i read it

Offline Fishagent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I think in the near future we will see some new size requirements for the Northern Pike and perhaps other fish species in VT.  VT Fish and Wildlife recently sent out a fishing survey randomly to people who purchased a fishing license last year looking for input on the subject of current fishing regulations.  Personally I don't keep a Northern under 30 inches in length and sometimes I still release them when there over that size.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:47 PM »
if anything I hope the biologist and state are paying attention to this topic and maybe/hopefully something will be done. 

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2010, 06:45 AM »
I personaly think this topic is getting old. Everyone is diffrent and will do diffrent stuff. Keep them if you want or let them go for another day. Now look what happened when everyone was b***hing about the perch problem. The state put a limit on them and then people b***hed about the perch being to small. Now there are to many and they are  not as big as the one we used to get as kids fishing with dad on the shores of Champlain. So do we really want stonger rules on pike. Lets see harvest less pike that will leave more pike in Champlian that can eat more perch so we can start all over and b***h that there are no perch in the lake. Thats my 2 cents. If your going by the laws what is there to crab about. See how much crap i get for this......jim s

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:48 AM »
I personaly think this topic is getting old. Everyone is diffrent and will do diffrent stuff. Keep them if you want or let them go for another day. Now look what happened when everyone was b***hing about the perch problem. The state put a limit on them and then people b***hed about the perch being to small. Now there are to many and they are  not as big as the one we used to get as kids fishing with dad on the shores of Champlain. So do we really want stonger rules on pike. Lets see harvest less pike that will leave more pike in Champlian that can eat more perch so we can start all over and b***h that there are no perch in the lake. Thats my 2 cents. If your going by the laws what is there to crab about. See how much crap i get for this......jim s

Couldn't agree more.  :thumbsup:

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:05 AM »
actually pike help weed out the small perch and establish a better population of larger fish. If your complaining about small perch, you should welcome pike regulations, because its the big ones who will eat a 6 to 8 inch perch.

Offline bud-fish-er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:30 PM »
actually pike help weed out the small perch and establish a better population of larger fish. If your complaining about small perch, you should welcome pike regulations, because its the big ones who will eat a 6 to 8 inch perch.

yes i belive this is true

Offline Augen4Hawgs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE MAN FOREVER !
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:36 PM »
I think if Your not in a derby! that the big breeder pike should be put back...even say You are in a derby! You should try to make sure Your fish will make the board.. if at all possible,I know at times its not possible.....Undertsto od!!! If You have to eat pike or really like it over other fish ..eat the med size ones put back the Hawgs .Mounting one thats different.....Walleye I think would take the vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Wouldn't a slot system like carmi has for walleye allow folks to keep the good eating fish, make sure some breeders stay in the lake, and limit the amount of hogs kept while still letting guys take home that one trophy here and there to mount?

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Somebody should just come out and say it, however divisive it sounds.  Catch and release guys who want trophy fish have a purpose that is opposed to guys who simply want to eat their catch. Catch and release guys who simply want good action have a purpose opposed to those who simply want pike for the freezer.  Someone's going to be miserable out there one way or another. 

Also regulations are tough.  We have lakes like Champlain and few others that have a lot of pike, some lakes that produce some huge pike but barely have any pike, some lakes that barely produce any pike anymore in any size class. 

Managing pike fisheries for high catch rates or trophy sizes will probably invite more pressure.  Fisherman will vote with their feet. Good fishing will bring more fishing pressure.  I imagine this is where it will all go eventually.  More $.

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:26 PM »
A slot would never work. Its all about the money. If people have to throw back that 15pounder they think is hufe due to it not fitting in the slot there will be a lot of un happy fisherman. I fish only for trophy pike. To me a trophy is over twenty pounds. But to others its a 8 pounder for dinner. The laws will stay the same. Look at norton pond. The state has it a trout pond. When was the last trout in there? We do all this taling about laws but where does it get us? For now all we can do is chase the state record and allow those people who feed there families to take home that 8pound toothy dinner.

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #59 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:42 AM »
o jesus k....now u come off as understanding, dont give that misperception to the public
My dream is clear, it involves fishin' n beer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.