Author Topic: Eskimo augers  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo augers
« on: Aug 29, 2019, 07:46 PM »
I see Eskimo has there 2019 catalog out, center point for the 8 inch is out none for the 6 inch? I called asked if there would be an upgrade for 6 inch said to call back later in September. If not getting the new 6 inch Strikemaster  lite flite I believe is what it's called.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo augers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to call them to get a catalog. 

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2019, 05:21 PM »
It's about time! I just sent an email to see if the tip could be retrofit. I'm sure it'll be after the holiday to hear back. Anybody know?
The catalog is online.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2019, 08:10 PM »
It's about time! I just sent an email to see if the tip could be retrofit. I'm sure it'll be after the holiday to hear back. Anybody know?
The catalog is online.

I called and asked if the head (which holds the blades and the power point) would interchange with last years.
Was told NO it is not interchangeable. I commented to the tech person you probably will loose customers (myself included).
For fewer coins I can purchase a 8" Strikemaster Lite-Flite with a power point and blades that are proven quality.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2019, 02:30 AM »
I called and asked if the head (which holds the blades and the power point) would interchange with last years.
Was told NO it is not interchangeable. I commented to the tech person you probably will loose customers (myself included).
For fewer coins I can purchase a 8" Strikemaster Lite-Flite with a power point and blades that are proven quality.

I doubt they've tried and wouldn't tell you it fit even if it did.  Time will tell I'm sure it'll be obvious once people can see them in person

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Just remember the Strikemaster has lazer blades. If you lose an edge you might as well try a butter knife because you are screwed. I have bought way too many of those to ever go back. Fresh clean ice they are great, sandy dirty or reopening - horrible. Eskimo has really perfected shaver blades.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Just remember the Strikemaster has lazer blades. If you lose an edge you might as well try a butter knife because you are screwed. I have bought way too many of those to ever go back. Fresh clean ice they are great, sandy dirty or reopening - horrible. Eskimo has really perfected shaver blades.

Are you serious??

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Strikemaster has good blades imo.eskimo blades are cheap strikemaster knockoffs.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Are you serious??

He’s right on the money.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2019, 12:06 PM »
All shavers suck in dirty ice and eskimo blades dull quicker than most.  No idea how that means "eskimo has perfected shaver blades" ???

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2019, 12:59 PM »

I know some blades are interchangeable.

The main thing I look for in an auger blade is that it was made in Sweden.

Good Luck all :tipup:

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2019, 01:17 PM »

DUH: Eskimo blades are ALMOST as good as (made in Sweden) MORA. Only thing is the Eskimo blades are made in China using poor quality steel with lesser heat treatment.
Buy the Eskimo auger, put the blades in storage and add Mora blades.
When someone wants to borrow the Eskimo install the original (made in China) blades.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2019, 02:57 PM »
No one can beat the Old Jiffy Blades. Sure the thing weighs in just under 1-ton but I have never seen a better built auger from head to toe. Model 30 that is.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2019, 03:53 PM »
No one can beat the Old Jiffy Blades. Sure the thing weighs in just under 1-ton but I have never seen a better built auger from head to toe. Model 30 that is.
thats correct.my 1971 jiffy 1 armed bandit still has the original chipper blade on it..mainly because auger bit and blade are 1 piece.i would have to cut the blade off to replace.think we are talking about hand augers tho.strikemasters blades made in Sweden are way better than any other auger makers blades.jmo

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2019, 07:32 PM »
All shavers suck in dirty ice and eskimo blades dull quicker than most.  No idea how that means "eskimo has perfected shaver blades" ???

I totally disagree with you.  I have an Eskimo Mako auger and had the same blades on it for about ten years, drilled God only knows how many holes, and they cut through the ice no problem.  Just gave them a light touch up once a year and never had any complaints not even when I was drilling through 24" of ice per hole.  I think a big part of how well blades hold up and cut depends on how the person takes care of them and if they do the Jiffy lean on the auger when they're drilling a hole. 

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2019, 08:19 PM »
I bought Eskimo blades as they fit my old 6 inch Mora. Luckily the Moras came back quick after bring sent out to be sharpened. After only a few holes the Chineezy cheap steel Eskimo blades had chips in of them. This was drilling through 8 inches of clean ice. The Original mora blades had drilled thought a lot of sandy on Silver Lake sandy ice. For quite a few years I had to drill through over 24 inches of ice with the Moras right next to the sand dunes. I had only touched them up a few times.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2019, 08:28 PM »
The steel blades made in sweeden are a better quality steel and hold an edge well.

However, the chineese blades have improved and came a very long way.

I've noticed they've gone from being able to cut 3-4 holes and be dull, to a set will last a season before needing sharpening.

Sure I use to demand and pay top dollar for the sweeden blades, but when I can pay $10 for a set of decent chineese blades that hold for about a season or $45 for a set of sweeden blades......well I really don't care which set I get.

Also back to the op.......I doubt Eskimo will sell just the cutting head mount....if they did, I bet they would charge like nils does for a cutting head. High priced since all you'd need is a pipe to make an auger.....

Eskimo should do a fee/exchange program for the pistols auger head so people can get the point on them.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2019, 09:05 PM »
X2 on that fee/exchange for the power-point head. I’m not holding my breath.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:36 AM »
I can bet the reason the tip won't retrofit is because of the spacing of the blades. When they put a point on the Ion they had to move the blades out a touch because the tip would interfere with the leading edge of the blades. I bet this is going to really piss some people off that bought a pistol bit last year. I know Eskimo knows they should have done it originally from the feedback on the Ions. I don't think they did it to sell a second one to anybody because they truly believe their system cuts better without the tip. The wobble around is extremely overblown because they don't move that far for experienced auger users but the point is a great improvement for permanent houses where you want the hole centered for rattle reels and floats to go
 down the middle of the hole. Outside they work just fine without a tip. 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:52 AM »
I agree that they don't wobble if you're not crazy with them. I go slow with the 8inch to get started and then gun it once it is caught on and never had a problem. That said it is kind of crappy that they didn't even name it Pistol 2.0 or something like that. Just stuck it to the last years buyers like no big deal. I wonder since most of the last years models are probably still under warranty if you made a warranty claim if you'd get one with the new tip?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2019, 06:14 PM »
I'm not a huge Strikemaster fan how ever with the pistol debacle I plan on getting the Lite Flite and not looking back wish I could send them a drill bit set with no point on the ends. ;D

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:12 PM »
I'm not a huge Strikemaster fan how ever with the pistol debacle I plan on getting the Lite Flite and not looking back wish I could send them a drill bit set with no point on the ends. ;D

I wouldn't call it a debacle, if you don't have one yet, the new one with the bit will probably be perfect...too bad they used those of us last year who got it as their beta test group at full price....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:33 PM »

I wouldn't call it a debacle, if you don't have one yet, the new one with the bit will probably be perfect...too bad they used those of us last year who got it as their beta test group at full price....

I couldn't understand why people wanted them at $200. It is basicly the same has a flat blade shaver sold for $40 new......or $20 on Craigslist. The plastic flights weren't that much lighter vs the other.

With the added point on it now, and people using drills I can understand why someone would want one now.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2019, 09:45 PM »
According to Eskimo the point is only available on the 8 inch I have and need a 6 inch. I have used the metal shaver style bits before Mora and Eskimo very touchy without the point in my experience.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 05, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Just talked to Eskimo, there will be absolutely no exchanges....they simply see it as a product upgrade.....you can claim warranty on last year's model and if they deem it replaceable, then you will get the same model. If you want the one with a center point you have to buy it and give them another $219 just like last year....

I am actually glad.....this makes it easier to be selective about the gear. Knowing the company has no issue fixing an issue and just selling it under same name without worry about those who paid full price for the faulty one.

There are other manufacturers of these drill attached augers now and eskimo wasn't first to begin with......but they won't see any money from me

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 05, 2019, 08:28 PM »
I agree, terrible customer service.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 05, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Just talked to Eskimo, there will be absolutely no exchanges....they simply see it as a product upgrade.....you can claim warranty on last year's model and if they deem it replaceable, then you will get the same model. If you want the one with a center point you have to buy it and give them another $219 just like last year....

I am actually glad.....this makes it easier to be selective about the gear. Knowing the company has no issue fixing an issue and just selling it under same name without worry about those who paid full price for the faulty one.

There are other manufacturers of these drill attached augers now and eskimo wasn't first to begin with......but they won't see any money from me

That’s pretty crapty, I had an issue with my mako 43 not wanting to spin the bit when it was cold out. Not something one looks for in an ice auger. I called customer service within a few weeks and they sent me a tube of grease. After taking it apart to add more grease I found it completely full. I used it the rest of the winter because it was pretty mild for us in central Iowa. The next year I emailed them with my major concerns and they sent me a new power head. I was glad they did, but it was a little late. I will admit it makes the pistol bit look more appealing now that it has the point on it but they should make a retrofit for all of the early adopters.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2019, 06:25 AM »
I have always supported Eskimo, but my opinion of them just took a big hit too. This is just plain dirty. They didn't answer my email either. They absolutely knew people want the tip on them just like the Ion owners did. I wanted one last year but just didn't pull the trigger, then as winter was coming to an end the things were going on special at around $150 for the 8 inch. After seeing the same thing happen with my Ion I figured something was up. Glad I waited but might have to revisit other brands. Again, this is just plain dirty feeling. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 06, 2019, 09:59 PM »
What I can't understand is Eskimo trying to ignore this. They should just listen to the customers. I mean even if they just took orders and put guys on a list, for a replacement cutting head at a decent fee they would be fine.

I mean if I was them, I would put out a statement that they would have replacement cutting heads with the center point, but that it would take a year for the manufacture to make them and ship them. Take customers orders, charge a $50 fee or whatever for the cutting head. Then you can make the customer happy and make some money with the upgrade. Sure they have to wait, but at least you'd give guys an option and make a little money on the deal.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2019, 01:11 AM »
What I can't understand is Eskimo trying to ignore this. They should just listen to the customers. I mean even if they just took orders and put guys on a list, for a replacement cutting head at a decent fee they would be fine.

I mean if I was them, I would put out a statement that they would have replacement cutting heads with the center point, but that it would take a year for the manufacture to make them and ship them. Take customers orders, charge a $50 fee or whatever for the cutting head. Then you can make the customer happy and make some money with the upgrade. Sure they have to wait, but at least you'd give guys an option and make a little money on the deal.
Well said! I agree wholeheartedly!
 It seems like a good business practice, going the extra mile to please the customer, but they may not be into that kind of thing. The almighty dollar may be their only concern.
 Sad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.