Author Topic: Clam drill conversion  (Read 2068 times)

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Clam drill conversion
« on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:14 AM »

With ice fishing season right around the corner I'm looking into the clam drill auger converison kit.
I bought a rigid octane 18v drill with a 9ah battery last year and it worked great with my 8" Nils auger.
I would like to hear fellow ice shanty member thoughts on the Clam is it worth the buy?
Positives and or negatives.
Will this work with the Rigid octane 18v drill?
Thanks!

smitty :tipup:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Clam drill conversion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:20 AM »
I use the plate on the ridgid octane.i got it for a few reasons.1 is to keep drill off the ice,2 to keep from breaking the side handle off the drill and its just easier to control with the clam plate and my 8” mora.i found it easier to mount the trigger assembly in the 2nd slot on the upright.some guys didnt need to do it but it works great.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2019, 12:01 PM »
It adds a lot of balance and stability, which would equate to being safer IMO. It’s all about ergonomics, just more comfortable and enjoyable to drill with the plate.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Here is my setup.  The clam plate is the way to go.  Mounted a hand auger to it.  I would recommend getting an extension too.

Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2019, 12:56 PM »

Thanks for the help. I also need to order a Nils adapter for it.
Ordering the kit today and ready for the season!!!!!
Nice set ups there piersm and DR. SPECKLER !
smitty :tipup:

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2019, 01:18 PM »
I think you will really find the drill plate to be a nice thing. like was already said get the extension right away as they are hard to get sometimes as the season goes on. as for the nils adapter Clam has came out with one this year for the nils and it is on the website. I will add the link to the adapter here too :
https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/nils-auger-adapter-for-conversion-kit.html

here is the link for the extension too : 
https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-auger-extension.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2019, 01:37 PM »
I purchased the clam adapter and extension last year. I am running it with a Dewalt 20v and 5ah battery and an 8" mora.
 It's very comfortable to use and with the extension your not bent over all day. With 2 feet of ice and  25 holes it's still ready for more.
When not in use,  i take the battery off and  keep the auger and batteries in my heated clam pop up.

My 30 year old jiffy with a 10" auger stays home for now ( I might pass it on to my son)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Personally, I was never able to get the Ridgid Octane drill to marry up correctly with

the little drive shaft on the Clam plate. Too wobbly out the other side. Others have

had that same issue though many have not. Oddly enough, I couldn't use a

Milwaukee Fuel drill without the Clam plate. Too torquey. But I did find that that if I

ran the Octane drill through a Kovac adaptor down to my little 7" Nero, it cut like

dream.  Mounted the auxiliary handle 180 degrees to the trigger handle for max

leverage. You've made good selections on quality components
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2019, 09:03 PM »
You will find the Clam Plate to be just what you wanted .  Setting the handle on the ice keeps the drill off the ice and snow.  With the two handles it makes control safe and easy.  No money lost when you add the Clam Plate to your inventory.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2019, 09:26 AM »
i bought one last season and did the trigger mod that made it much nicer, but the shaft has way to much wobble with their extension and others had the same issue and i and others returned them.

i also did not like clams customer service with the dude smacking gum in my ear and calling folks on this site having issues with their plate "bashers" and then refused to take care of my issues with their plate, so i gladly returned it for a full refund minus the trigger mod money that they should have taken care of in the first place.

i don't miss the wobble and much larger foot print nor the weight and the hassle of using the drill for jobs and switching it back to the plate. it was a hassle trying to figure out how to mount the octane with their light switch in the handle where the clam mounting hardware wants to sit.
it's also much easier to protect the drill while not on the plate.

using it with out a plate is easy enough. some don't even use the aux handle that comes with the drill.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2019, 10:03 AM »
I like it for the added stability and the fact that when you set it down the $300 drill is not laying directly in the ice or in the snow.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2019, 05:08 PM »
I use the clam with a Milwaukee fuel and a 6 " K DRILL. I love it.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Using it with out a plate is easy enough. some don't even use the aux handle that comes with the drill.
They'll wished they used the side handle on their drill when the auger catches at the bottom of the hole.  Can twist your wrist or even break it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Right maybe with a 4,5” auger but you definitely need the side handle or plate with a 8” auger.maybe not a smooth cutting nils i guess..my 8” mora grabs pretty hard at the bottom of the hole.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2019, 05:05 PM »
They'll wished they used the side handle on their drill when the auger catches at the bottom of the hole.  Can twist your wrist or even break it.

Yup--my Mora tends to catch at the bottom. Some of the side handles are said to be too weak for that sort of sudden torque.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2019, 07:46 PM »
I used a Dewalt with a Kdrill last year, I wasn’t left wanting the Clam plate.  The side handle on the drill was more than adequate to hold it.  I suppose experiences may vary depending on what auger bit you use.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Same drill with a 6" Nils.  Love the Clam plate.  Had to buy an adapter off E-bay.  I see that Clam is selling their own version now.  I have had no issues with twist or wobble.  Cuts holes crazy fast.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2019, 01:42 PM »

FYI!!! I just ordered the clam plate conversion kit  from Kittery trading post. They have a code for 15% off and free shipping! Cost $67.99
 Here is the code Promo KTP15

smitty  :tipup:

Offline hawkfan24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2019, 02:48 PM »
I bought a Ridgid drill last year and have it on a Clam plate and extension with a 7” Strikemaster lazer. Love it so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.