Author Topic: What do you do with your drill/auger set-up?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
What do you do with your drill/auger set-up?
« on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:11 PM »
Making the switch this season to a drill setup instead of the gas powered. What I'm wondering is what everyone does with the setup after the holes are drilled to keep the drill off the ice / store it ?
Thanks,
Paul in Palmyra, Nebraska

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: What do you do with your drill/auger set-up?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Making the switch this season to a drill setup instead of the gas powered. What I'm wondering is what everyone does with the setup after the holes are drilled to keep the drill off the ice / store it ?
yet another reason why i bought the clam plate.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Clam Plate

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:53 PM »
I take my drill off the auger, then hook up my ice anchor adapter to drive in the ice anchors for my hub shanty.  After that, I take the battery off the drill, and use it to power my fan/LED's with the 12V Milwaukee Powersource.  I throw the drill back in the sled in a dry bag with the other batteries I bring with me.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:03 PM »
i use menards bags because they are free and thickest i can find to keep snow and rain off the drill. most times i lay it on the ice and sometimes i drill a partial hole to hold it up straight and hang a parka on it. when standing it up in ice it can serve as an ice anchor as well. if i am done making holes because its bitter cold or to windy to scout or i know where i will be fishing and not hole hopping, i take the drill off the auger and keep it inside one of my shanty's. i keep it in two parts until i'm going on ice anyways and separate it when off ice. the drill is used as a drill often off ice all year long.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:36 PM »
let it lay on the ice lol

sometimes it goes in the sled if i'm moving around a lot

Catchin' Fish

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2019, 11:24 PM »
I just put it back in my plastic sled as it only takes up a small amount of space. If it's snowing hard I'll take the drill off of the auger bit and put it inside of a dry bag.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2019, 11:56 PM »
It depends on the weather. I have an Ion. If its below zero I'll pull the battery and put it in the "Ion insulated battery bag" complete with hand heaters.
Actually, I usually just lay the auger on the ice with the battery on top. A lot depends on the the fish I'm targeting.
I'm amazed at the Lithium Ion battery's performance. I keep expecting it to crap out but it just keeps going.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2019, 04:02 AM »
I installed auger racks on my Smitty Sled to hold them. I also made "sleeves" out of thin styrofoam that fit over the batteries to keep them dry...and somewhat warm...I guess. ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:13 AM »
I have the clam plate also so it keeps the drill and battery off the ice. If there's snow on the ice that was deep enough for me to use the Smitty sled I will take my clam off the sled to set it up and sometimes (if the snow is deep enough) I will lay the auger set-up on the sled to keep it out of the snow. If it's snowing or raining and I think about it before I head out, I'll bring a plastic bag to put over it so it doesn't get soaked.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:42 AM »
let it lay on the ice

So do I. Simply lay it on the ice. The Milwaukee Fuel battery has never given me problems in the cold, and I fish at the Canadian border where we understand what cold is.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2019, 06:47 AM »
yet another reason why i bought the clam plate.

X3 or 4 on what Mr spec said.. any how get one of those bags with thermal insulation..  and those body sized hand warmer..  store batteties in it with hand warmer.. so the batteries stay warm I my self never had a problem with the batteries getting cold the clam plate keeps drill off ice same with batteries..

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2019, 09:24 AM »
I have the Clam Plate ..so its stays off the ice on most days ..I also place it back atop my ATV front rack at times ...and I drag a Jet sled behind my 2 man/Smitty sled set up so it goes in there during slushy conditions w/o my ATV being available.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2019, 09:29 AM »
As long as I have enough ice for the machine, it sits in the gun holder I mounted on a custom box that holds auger on one side, chisel on the other (sorry about the poor pics, I need to get better ones:

If I'm walking I have a very light snow sled that I lay it in. Or I will lay it on the ice by setting the mud mixer handle in a "V" position so the battery is off the ice:

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Yes, the Clam Plate  is the way to go.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Clam plate here. I keep my extra battery in a small insulated bag. No hand warmer unless it's really cold.

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2019, 07:13 PM »
I either drill a partial hole and it will stand on its own or I lean the drill on my plastic sled.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:34 PM »
I use the Clam plate as well.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:04 AM »
I have not found a good enough reason yet to add more weight to my setup with a clam plate. M-18 and 8" K-drill is so easy to drill my wife can do it with just the drill and tee handle it comes with. I never go without a sled so the drill is set on the sled if the ice is wet or snow covered. Otherwise I just set it right on the ice like others have said. Cold does not effect the battery at all.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Clam plate for me too. But I usually put the auger back in the ATV rack. I put a waterproof nylon bag with a drawstring over the drill/plate to keep dry while driving.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2019, 07:58 PM »
I usually fish solo..so my drill comes into the warmed up pop up shack.  That way, it don't have crazy ice build up on the blades and flighting.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2019, 11:53 PM »
Like this  ;D

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2019, 09:09 AM »
 Nice sled TickleStick.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Nice sled TickleStick.

Thanks, I love it.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2019, 08:36 AM »
 Finding used skis in Nebraska sucks.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2019, 09:04 AM »
There are literally 100,000 's of Milwaukee drills laying in cold, damp,freezing job sites all over the world. Other than submersing it in water I wouldn't worry too much about where ya put it.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 21, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Thanks, I love it.

Not to highjack the thread, but could we get a guided tour of that sled?  It looks as though you have given it a lot of thought.  Thinking that I could use something like that in my life.   ;D
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline 50ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I use a plastic bag or something to cover the body of electric auger (Milwaukee 2804-20), for preventing flying snow (windy days) and especially freezing rain, just in case.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:03 AM »
There are literally 100,000 's of Milwaukee drills laying in cold, damp,freezing job sites all over the world. Other than submersing it in water I wouldn't worry too much about where ya put it.

I went through the ice with my K-Drill and Milwaukee Fuel right in my hands last year early season. Drill still works beauty.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.