New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 15lb mono leader for pike?  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Pittsfield Pike Preditor

• IceShanty Rookie
  • drill em and fill em
Re: 15lb mono leader for pike?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:14 AM »
JC nothing in the hole u left....actually nothing but a couple of flags out deep........ good chillin w/ u though

Offline mister bait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:35 AM »
I caucht a 36" fatty yerterday on 4lb golden stren on my jigging rod.I would guess around 10lbs .Took about 6 trys to get him through a 6" hole and on the ice.I just gave him plenty of drag.but he didnt have the hook all the way down it was in the jaw.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:14 AM »
      I've had pike snip even 30 lb mono on tipups,(gotta go way back, it was an oval baitcasting mono touted as 13 -30, casts like 13lb tests at 30 lb and pike still cut it!) 15 lb either fluorocarbon or mono's a joke. Go with
thin dia wire like 12 or 15 lb Tyger Wire. It does not shy pike away. I fish pike and muskie with a flyrod on soft water and have gone the whole route with leaders and bite offs and steel is by far the best but hinges due to the high speed flexing involved in flycasting - not related to ice fishing. Next best thing I've found is a 40 lb
Super braid line marketed specifically for muskie fishing, and they still occasionally clip that stuff off. Go with steel it doesn't put the fish off one bit. ;)

Spin

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:05 AM »
I took my steel off last year and switched to 8' flouro. I haven't been snapped off yet. However the biggest was only 33". I will not set up a line without cutting and retying after a catch.  Question for airman and the other LG dudes. Does your heavy mono or malin boa spook the laker's or will they hit as often. Looking for a decent all around line. Nice pic's dude. I AM impressed. MOno and flouro add to the sport. Just like ultalight rod's. If I get snapped off, I 'll knock down some telephone pole and steal the guide wire's. Do you think I could get five before I get caught? I could pry get away with it up in the 'burg
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:53 AM »
I ordered the no kink from tackledirect and waiting for a month before i called and cancelled my order because they never got their shipment from Malin,  Ive used 50 lb test seagur flourocarbon, and now im using 15lb test flouro.  I think i will go back to the 50lb. because I finally got the sleeves ive been waiting for to make the leaders.  I also havent noticed much difference between the 15lb test and the 50lb test strikewise, i only have a little more confidence with the 50lb..

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:08 AM »
I've caught a lot of lakers on 15lb mono. I haven't gotten one on the malin yet, but I only have it on 2 tip ups and my dead stick to try out. I'll let you know how I make out though!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline LFDfireman64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:02 AM »
i have used 20 pound monbout last year and i have started off with it this year and i have only lost one fish so far with the mono my trick is to let about 10 feet of line befor you set the hook and they ussualy run for about that 10 feet then you pull them in slowly is the trick dont scare them when you do that thats when the try to spit the hook or cut the line. Its all about time in my book.
 :tipup: ;D
good luck

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I took my steel off last year and switched to 8' flouro. I haven't been snapped off yet. However the biggest was only 33". I will not set up a line without cutting and retying after a catch.  Question for airman and the other LG dudes. Does your heavy mono or malin boa spook the laker's or will they hit as often. Looking for a decent all around line. Nice pic's dude. I AM impressed. MOno and flouro add to the sport. Just like ultalight rod's. If I get snapped off, I 'll knock down some telephone pole and steal the guide wire's. Do you think I could get five before I get caught? I could pry get away with it up in the 'burg
:)

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:17 AM »
I have read both sides of the debate. My question ? I attend a Fishing derby yearly for Northern Pike. Usually winning Pike weigh betwween 4 and 8 pounds. (all returned live ) With that said what type line would you use????
wire or mono???
Thanks in advance

I HAVE ALWAYS USED WIRE LEADERS IN THE PAST WITH NOT MUCH LUCK ON DERBY DAY!!!!!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Mono

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:49 AM »
   We have a few walk in/Sled in lakes that are over run with pike. You can't keep 4 tipups baited and set up at one time. The pike will yank the line out of your hand before you get it down to the stop. We use to take the kids there because they never had the chance to get bored. A winter ice fishing conclave on Lake Como
several years back put 18 pike on the ice in less than 3 hrs. There were bite offs on Spider wire, Mono, and Fluorocarbon leaders. None on Wire. Fluorocarbon was in use as leader/tippit material for fly fishing a few years before it appeared as standard fishing line. It's somewhat more abrasion resistant than mono but not all that much. Put a sharp blade in a vice take a length of fluoro and a length of mono put some serious tension on both and abrade them - they both pop pretty easy. I've lost $100's of dollars worth of rapalas alone to pike  and smallmouth fishing open water due to bite offs on both flouro and mono because I didn't want a steel leader to affect the action of the lure. Dito with large Hairbugs flyfishing - chomp, snip and adios to $4.00 worth of hook and tying mtl. not to mention my time tying the things. I gotten Tyger Wire as light as 6lb test. It will take standard knots - no haywire twists , no crimp sleeves. and it sure won't spook pike.

Spin

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Fighting a pike on a rod and reel is totally different, and I wont do that with out steel leader. I have the malin on my dead stick. I did however catch a 14.5lber on 8lb mono on the dead stick last year. With a tip up you can let the fish run and you just fight them better thats why I choose mono on the tip up.

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:12 AM »
Skip the Mono if you are fishing pike.  At a minimun I would look at Berkley Crystal Fireline, that stuff is stong but you still need to use care while fighting fish.  When I am fishing large pike usually that means quickstrike rigs made with steel leader material.  For smaller pike or lots of action, the Crystal Fireline works excellent.

Scott Steil

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:01 PM »
  Airman congrats on a nice pike! I agree with you open water allows more opportunity for a bite off but you can baby a fish there too and also chase him with the boat. I've caught some very respectable fish including pike on very light line too. Missed a world flyfishing record brown by a smidgen 4 yrs ago - 6lb test tippet class tested out at 5.7 lbs breaking strength. IGAF sends you a copy of the lab report. By the way it was Fluorocarbon tippet mtl too. 18lb 4oz. fish and a hen at that.
   Sorry nuff bragging, My point is that sure you can do it but it only takes one good head shake or a wrap around weeds or other underwater obstruction and the fish is history. Wire ups your odds by a mile. I tried alternative materials too but in honesty they didn't measure up. If a guy wants to accept the fact that he's got alot more chance of bite off and maybe losing the "Big One" that's his choice. With all the toothy critters caught all over the world Fresh and Salt it's just wishful thinking that Fluoro or mono will out perform steel> at least so far - we can always hope.

Spin

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:24 PM »
I have found Floro on some bodies of water makes a huge difference.  Bodies of water that are pressured a lot or crystal clear show the biggest differences.  I run 30 lb. Seagar and have had 1 break off in 2 seasons (bad frayed from previous 2 fish).  I caught my 41" northern on 15 lb. and considered myself lucky landing it on 15lb.  I used 15 lb. for a couple more trips and bumped it up after losing a couple nice pike.  30 lb has been great for me over the past couple seasons.  You need to play them light but there is a little more margin for error with 30lb. 

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:39 PM »
   Outstanding fish Gambell ! 41" around 22-23lbs? Really nice. I've never gone as high with fluoro as 30lb but did as I said with a Oval mono baitcast line. It was called Magnum, now I remember the name(it's a real bear getting old-can't remember my name sometimes) This oval 30 lb wasn't too bad and I used it for a few years but I did experience bite offs.     aw nuts "She Who Must Be Obeyed Calls"          Later

Spin

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #76 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:48 PM »
I have found Floro on some bodies of water makes a huge difference.  Bodies of water that are pressured a lot or crystal clear show the biggest differences.  I run 30 lb. Seagar and have had 1 break off in 2 seasons (bad frayed from previous 2 fish).  I caught my 41" northern on 15 lb. and considered myself lucky landing it on 15lb.  I used 15 lb. for a couple more trips and bumped it up after losing a couple nice pike.  30 lb has been great for me over the past couple seasons.  You need to play them light but there is a little more margin for error with 30lb. 
You played the fish well but if you had lost it to mother nature what would be your next move?

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:21 PM »
My next move was 20lb, all the way up to 40lb floro.  40lb. was like using leaders.  I could horse them a little more.  I dropped down to 30lb and I'm really happy with it.

Offline calico kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:08 AM »
if you are using steel do you need to use a mono leader between the tip up line and the steel?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.