New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: saratoga lake shantys?  (Read 6954 times)

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: saratoga lake shantys?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:01 PM »
oh my lord i cant stand it anymore i need to get my shanty out of my yard. every day i keep puting more stuff in/on it if i dont get it outa here its gonna weigh 1000lbs
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline fishskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Go pro. Thats the spirit.Great times just ahead,you'll need every bit of gear you got to handle all the fish your gonna get.We all need to make up for last season. The only one,s I really caught were the ones I scooped out of my sunken gettaway.No not this year the fish are gonna pour outa the hole's.My biggest feet this year is to get permission from a private lake front owner to at least let me walk onto the ice close to my gettaway.Other than that I'm ready to go. GOOD LUCK

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Nope, that was Hooksets. I talked to him this summer and I believe it's rebuilt also.   

Hey all:

Yeah, last winter turned sour on us Saratoga Lake fans.  I had a great year of fishing, but the whole 'shanty sinking thing' became a bit of nuisance.  I guess the highlite was we made front page of the USA Today, the Saratogian, front page of the B section of the Albany Times Union, MSN.com and AOL.com, Channel 13 News and Channel 6 News. The downside was that my name was on the shanty, so DEC and I became frequent communicators.  It also cost $500 to have a diver we know come out and hook straps and shackles to her and yank her out with a truck.  It sounds easy but it took about 4 hours.  Yup, she took a beating: lost 9 of 13 windows, ripped half of the roof off, ripped the front door off, TV sank, satellite dish took a thrashing from our friendly neighborhood DEC that tried to move it with an airboat, AC/DC power converter took a swim, sank the propane stove and a host of other articles lost or damaged during the soaking.  Oh well, keep moving forward.  We haven't actually finished the repairs, but Big Blue will rise from the ashes like a Phoenix and regain her old glory.  Hopefully this year she spends the whole winter above the water, not in it. 

I fished all day in the shanty on the Sunday prior to sinking.  It sank Tuesday morning before 9 AM.  Guess I'm lucky I didn't take a dip with it.

Anyway, we'll be back out there in the same spot as last year.  I guess we will never learn.  Looking forward to seeing all of you out there again this winter.  We had a significant number of visitors on nearly every trip, and many of you volunteered to help us extract her from the depths, so Thank You.  When you see her back out there, feel free to stop by and tell fish stories, eat some food and drink a few tasty ice fishing beverages.  Or, you can stop by and get warm and watch a few fishing shows on the satellite.  Gotta have 200 channels on the ice!

Let's hope for cold temps and black ice.  I'll see you all soon!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

camo_fish

« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:16 PM »
 :clap: nice to see ya back on the shanty hookset.  :bow: glad you got her out, bummer about the drop in the pain cost.  :P But, it sounds like you were lucky you didn't take a swim and you'll guys be back out there again this ice season. Hope all goes well, and I'll see about trying to stop by for a warming drink and food.  ;D ANd can't forget those 200 channels.  ;D waiting for flags.  :woot:

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Hey Wayne!  How have you been, Big Dog?  Wow, haven't been around much but it is nice to get back on the 'shanty' to see what's going on.  I haven't fished since the beginning of August, and this span constitutes my longest time without fishing in at least 15 years.  Sh*t happens I guess.  Looking forward to the ice this year.  Maybe another run out to Tanglefoot to see the gents out in that neck of the woods.  I will also be doing the tourney up in Tupper on Simond Pond in February.  Every other day I have available during ice season, I will be out on 'Toga chillin in the shanty.  Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Hey Bart:  I'm sure I'll see you and Marbury, too.  As you know, there are always electronics to play with, food to eat and drinks to drink.  Can't wait!

Derek

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2006, 07:03 PM »
Hey Bart:  I'm sure I'll see you and Marbury, too.  As you know, there are always electronics to play with, food to eat and drinks to drink.  Can't wait!
Derek

I believe that is an offer we can't refuse ;) Especially the drink part!

Won't be long.
Bart

camo_fish

« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2006, 07:15 PM »
Hey Wayne! 
 Maybe another run out to Tanglefoot to see the gents out in that neck of the woods. 
  Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Sounds like a plan, hope for a cold freeze, and we'll be out there in a month from now.  ;)
I can't wait.  8)

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2006, 12:13 AM »
may have a new neighbor this year my friend tiny got an old 3000 gallon tank from a mill its huge not to heavy and slides on the snow great,lol wait until y'all see it :D
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Going to build a shanty this year and the plan is to put it on Toga.  I finally got a job transfer which included 9a-5p hours and weekends and holidays off.  I know its getting at it a bit late and should have built it this summer but I figure I can get it done in a weekend (going to have my carpenter buddy show up with his pneumatics).  I grew up near Plattsburgh and cut my teeth or ice in a hardside and just can't wait to have one.  A question I have is whats the status with break in's and theft on the ice?  Guess I was a bit naive but couldn't comprehend or think that it would be an issue, until I got a visit to my portable by the DEC.  The officer checked my licence and the remarked about portables being the way to go saying that break ins were a growing issue.  Just wondering if anyone has has any problems?

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:20 PM »
welcome rif raf, toga is a good lake ive only put my shack out there one year but ive had no problems.all the people off fitch rd seem to be nice and there pretty much allways out there

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 28, 2006, 05:27 PM »
Thanks, Looking forward to the upcoming season!!

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 11, 2007, 06:38 PM »
hey all how was toga last year, never really fished it let alone put the nail out there. she sat on lake luzerne, not the greatest fishing but close to home. this year i have plans to return to toga town. so what other local yocals will be out this year, and i want to heart some stories from last year too

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 12, 2007, 06:31 AM »
hey all how was toga last year...
Welcome back Pro50Guy!!!  Last year was short and not so sweet to say the least.  Did not get out on south end till late January and "The Lily Pad" did not make it out until February.  Fishing was rather slow on the south end.  A few walleye, even fewer perch, the usual bass and small pike.  Lots of pickeral as usual.  This year The Lily Pad will be returning to our usual area as soon as possible.  Stop by and say "hello".

rvz

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 12, 2007, 05:50 PM »
hey all how was toga last year, never really fished it let alone put the nail out there. she sat on lake luzerne, not the greatest fishing but close to home. this year i have plans to return to toga town. so what other local yocals will be out this year, and i want to heart some stories from last year too
Hey pro50guy, who's buildin the shanty on east river drive ? or is someone buildin a lawn shed.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 12, 2007, 07:31 PM »
thanks its nice to be back rvz, and hunter havn't traveled that road in awhile ill have to check it out, where on east river dr.? probly tow the nail to the the front of the yard tomorrow,lol still have to clean it out from last year.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:02 PM »
thanks its nice to be back rvz, and hunter havn't traveled that road in awhile ill have to check it out, where on east river dr.? probly tow the nail to the the front of the yard tomorrow,lol still have to clean it out from last year.
About a half mile up from the bridge on the left.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2007, 01:33 PM »
Hey there, gents:

Well, I don't give up easily, so we're going back out to there as well.  The shanty is smaller these days, we're down to 6x6 instead of the 8x8.  Really hoping for a decent winter freeze, my mind can't take another Titanic episode on Saratoga Lake.  Yikes, still give me the quivers.  There won't be many of us out there this year in my estimation, the last 2 years damaged the egos of many a shanty owner...including me.  BUT, there's no place like home and the tradition will live on in 2008.  See you all on the ice (hopefully we'll all stay on top of it this year, I don't want my shanty splashed all over the news again). 

Optimal health boys, see you soon.

Derek

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 16, 2007, 03:00 PM »
...Really hoping for a decent winter freeze, my mind can't take another Titanic episode on Saratoga Lake.  Yikes, still give me the quivers.  There won't be many of us out there this year in my estimation, the last 2 years damaged the egos of many a shanty owner...including me.  BUT, there's no place like home and the tradition will live on in 2008.

Hookset!  Glad your coming back out.  We don't get up to your end of the lake that often.  You know it is much sunnier and warmer on the south end where we are.  Here is a little reminder of what "The Lily Pad" looked like...

Hopefully we'll be out there sooner than later.  Take care and stay on top!

rvz

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:45 PM »
hookset nice to see you, its lookin like a good season for the shanty's this year. if not many people put shanty's out it just makes our odds better right. i guess only the tuff survive. hopefully we'll be driving trucks out to the shanty's thats what im hoping for,it allways make bringing them out and in easier

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 25, 2007, 03:48 PM »
hey anybody see or hear anything from camofish?

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 25, 2007, 06:54 PM »
hey anybody see or hear anything from camofish?

Nope. He usually calls me periodically to see what's up but haven't heard from him since spring. Looks like he was logged in earlier today.  I'm sure he's catching a few.

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 25, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Hey there, gents:

Well, I don't give up easily, so we're going back out to there as well.  The shanty is smaller these days, we're down to 6x6 instead of the 8x8.  Really hoping for a decent winter freeze, my mind can't take another Titanic episode on Saratoga Lake.  Yikes, still give me the quivers.  There won't be many of us out there this year in my estimation, the last 2 years damaged the egos of many a shanty owner...including me.  BUT, there's no place like home and the tradition will live on in 2008.  See you all on the ice (hopefully we'll all stay on top of it this year, I don't want my shanty splashed all over the news again). 

Optimal health boys, see you soon.

Derek

Sweet Derek. Good to see you'll be back in action. Only hit Toga once all summer/fall. Opted for Champlain instead and it was awesome. 

Don't think Marbury will fit in that 6X6 because he grew about 2 feet since you saw him last.

See you soon,
Bart

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Anybody hear anything about the new park the city is putting in. Think they will let us park there instead of fitch road? it would be nice, but then as anti fish as the place is getting I doubt it.

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Anybody hear anything about the new park the city is putting in. Think they will let us park there instead of fitch road? it would be nice, but then as anti fish as the place is getting I doubt it.

I may be wrong but I thought I did hear that it was going on the other side of the bridge toward the lake so if that's that case it wouldn't give you much more access than the boat launch area does now.  I hope I'm wrong and it's on the southern end.

Speaking of the boat launch, a relation of mine who works for ENCON told me that they will be fixing/replacing the 9P bridge and that they plan to use the boat launch area as a workzone. Only a small portaion of the launch will be open to the public. Don't know when the work will begin but that should be a real cluster you know what.

Bart   

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 26, 2007, 06:00 PM »
 Bart,Yes I heard the same thing about the bridge, they were concerned about the fire and EMS protection for that side of the lake. and I don't know when it will start.      Ray

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:38 AM »
With any luck...this is the weekend.  Watch for the return of the Lily Pad...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.