New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2014-15 Irondequiot Bay Bum Reports!!!  (Read 7172 times)

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2014-15 Irondequiot Bay Bum Reports!!!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Jay-vee is pretty close by......

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Ken closed up this fall, S and R on culver has everything ya need tho, mite be able to get out next wk end.. Maybe.. Buddies found no more than 2.5"s in the regular spots. Northneast cove should be fishable but hasnt held anything good in a couple yrs.
  Yeah that's about right...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:32 AM »
S&R is a nice little shop. Bayside was doomed from the day it was last sold. I used to buy all my bait there, but 2 trips in there with the new people and I was done.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Hahahaha!!!! I guess it does... Going to go for a check today... See what's forming.

Glad you liked my comment in the way that it was intended GooseBay. Lol. There my be a TrailBlazer out today but hopefully the cold Tuesday/Wed. will get some folks out there more safely.  Cya..

Offline kvolo12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Had no idea Bayside closed. Would have drove out there to get bait had I not read that here.
Farmington

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:09 PM »
anyone been out the last couple days?my buddy wants to go there tomorrow any info would be great im going to the big o on fri already know its going on there thanks

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:16 AM »
Glad you liked my comment in the way that it was intended GooseBay. Lol. There my be a TrailBlazer out today but hopefully the cold Tuesday/Wed. will get some folks out there more safely.  Cya..
I wouldn't have ventured out the other day... This weekend might give it a go on Ibay.
Be going back up north to hit the derbies at the end of the month.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:06 AM »
I wouldn't have ventured out the other day... This weekend might give it a go on Ibay.
Be going back up north to hit the derbies at the end of the month.

All the Best to you GooseBayGUIDE" lol.  I haven't any good reports about ice or fish yet but let you be Da One!!  I'm out of town for a few weeks but hopefully some of my buds will get into something. Cya..

Offline Deggert60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 20, 2015, 01:09 PM »
I was laying in bed and thinking about ice fishing and I started to ponder, why is Irondequiot bay so bad for ice fishing. I never ice fish it because of all the bad word of mouth I hear. I have ice fished it before but have only gotten 1 perch out of there and never thought to waste my time after always getting skunked. Ik people who fish it and always have the same response, maybe some dinks and 1 okay fish here and there but nothing worth talking about. I am sure there are people who are successful in the winter and keep there secrets to themselves, and im not looking for that kind of information. but this bay is not as successful as really and other lake Ontario bays. Ive fished a lot of bays along the lake Ontario coast east and north of Rochester. I am looking for some insight on why people who fish the bay, and have fished it in past seasons where there 2 cents is on my thoughts. HAs it always been like this? was it overfished? is it too large to key in on fish? I love pike fishing and only recall 1 time I saw a pike caught in the bay during ice season. I have caught many bass, blue gill, and drum, and even have secret spot I occasionally catch gar at, also caught many trout out of the creek that flows into the bay and pike in the creak but never in the bay. I just feel that the potential for the bay is great because its large and deep and has good weed structure, but alas ice fishing is very poor.
-Eggs

Offline inyahole215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:34 PM »
use to be good perch fishing nothing real big but could always bring home a dinner last to years nothing good bad spawn or over fishing by the trollers you would think dec would have info they also dredged channel but don't think that should matter

Offline Deggert60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Could have also been the gobeys effecting the ecosystem. Its depressing that the ice fishing is this bad, such a big/deep bay with too much potential.
-Eggs

Offline jigger-team hamlin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:57 AM »
I dont get it it either . I would do well on this bay every year. But the past 5 years have been horrible here even out of the boat. I dont see it being over fished. Got to be somthing else going on. I have basically stopped fishing it the past 2 seasons do to catching nothing but dinks. Was no thing to go out and catch a bunch of slobs years ago. Hopefully turns around sometime. This was my go to spot especially not to far from home.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #72 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:13 AM »
The perch population in Lake Ontario seems to be down.  Not suprising seeing that the Alewive population is up. 

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:32 PM »
It seems to be cyclical. 

Gambell may be on to something, as the other bays in the area seem to be "down" to, as compared to what they used to be not too long ago (I am thinking of Braddock's and Sodus).

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #74 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:42 PM »
I drove  by the Bay today and posted a report on the Reports and Conditions thread, as did someone else.  I was disappointed to see that Bayside Bait and Tackle on Empire closed up shop.
Hat shop has been closed and from what I have heard it will be opening again here sometime with a new owner.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #75 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I grew up on Irondequoit and always have fished it whether it was from shore, the pier or by boat. When I used to fish the open bass tournaments I would run from Sodus to Irondequoit cause I knew where to find the big ones. I now run a 27' boat for salmon and trout and the biggest thing in the bay is there are no more weed beds. The perch population does go through cycles and they will be very hard to be over fished due to the access to the lake meaning it's not a closed body of water like Silver Lake. But without the weed beds it lessons the oxygen in the water also. I have been out a couple of times and found decent perch in the deeper water and quite a few also. If it has been noticed the bigger gills are not in that NE corner like usual either, why- less weeds.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I Grew up in Irondequoit. I remember when the bay was a cesspool. It's had an amazing transformation in my life. The perch population is definitely cyclical. Other species are abundant. Bass, white perch, pike, walleye, sheepshead, catfish, bluegills.....I have no trouble targeting them.

My personal theory which is completely unsubstantiated, is that they are staying out in the lake due to the ever improving quality of that water.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #77 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:26 PM »
if it keeps getting colder you will be able to fish the big lake on the ice  ;D......could use a warm up.....YOU THINK

Offline spoonfeeder01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Seems if you take the bits and peices of everybodys veiws you can put together a pretty good scenario, the dec has been queitly picking away at the swan population which I hope continues for the health of the weed beds, I do believe like Rg that they are hanging longer out in the lake but overall catch ratios vs fishing hours is way down across the whole system, the st. Lawrence still has a heathly population from what I hear, it is what it is and hopefully they make a come back, thank god we have the finger lakes!

Offline Deggert60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Yes, like I said, ive caught many fish in there, but the winter species I target, pike and perch, have been non existent. Hopefully the perch are just chilling in the lake right now and maybe ill test the late ice to see if there coming in with the spring temps coming (if they ever do).
-Eggs

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:19 AM »

Like a number of guys here, I've been fishing Ibay since I was a kid. The bay has come back a long way from it's former self like RG pointed out and we reaped the benefits of that for a number of years but, looks like we've cycled around to the bottom again. I have my own theories on it but, I agree its not due to one thing in itself or in particular but, a combination of factors. Gambell makes a great point, the alewives eat perch fry. For the past 3 years I've seen nothing but huge schools of alewives and gizzard shad on the camera and if you spend time you know how many are washed up on shore in spring. Funny though, not seeing that so far this year so, maybe that part of it is over but, that's only part of the equation. Rgizmo makes another good point about the weed beds. There aren't any. Not where they used to be and not in the spots that I used to see all year long. The zebra's  could be a part of that but, they aren't impacting the bay like they used to back when they first appeared. Something else is killing the weeds out there and I can't say what that is because its killing the weeds in deeper water as well. Another point that hasn't been mentioned is the VHS die offs over the past few years too. That puts a huge dent in any resident populations that aren't migrating back and forth from the lake. Bottom line is a number of factors are killing the winter bite on Ibay and we all hate it. :(

Offline Deggert60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:01 AM »
When Irondequiot bay made a comeback back in the day, what were the factors contributing to the comeback? Is there any innovative ways as fisherman we can help the situation at all besides practicing C&R?
-Eggs

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:50 PM »

Well, when I say cycled back to the bottom, I mean in the sense that the catches of perch are low again but, not from the same problems as before. Back in the day it was pollution and its causes that had Ibay in such a bad way. Now, I believe, there are more natural  factors as to why, and they aren't as easy to identify or classify as "a" or "the" cause.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Maybe what we need is a meeting at the Bayside to "discuss" the situation :whistle: :whistle:

Might not help, but it darned sure can't hurt ;D

Rg

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Invasive species don't help (like zebra mussels, gobies, Asian Carp, etc).  They can really mess up (or at least alter) an ecosystem.

A good friend of my Dad's is very active in trying to keep the Asian Carp out of the Great Lakes.  The eat so much of the plankton, that it really messes up the food chain of the bodies of water they end up in.  He also lobbies politicians to pass legislation to get tankers to empty their ballasts while out at sea, instead of when they are in our Great Lakes, so they don't dump all those invasive species here.  But it is a tough battle, sportsmen against big business.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Feb 24, 2015, 05:41 PM »

Sort of a mid season meeting of the minds,eh? ;D Couldn't hurt, missed the pre-season one.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I know on Keuka the weeds have gone down hill. I do notice a difference in the amount of weeds when zebra mussels overpopulated. Now it could be due to other invasive species like hydrilla. Fishing isn't like it use to be on Keuka

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:26 AM »
when's the meeting at the Bayside RG, there is alot to discuss! We can always talk weather or fly fishing.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #88 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:31 PM »
How bout Saturday 3/7  ?

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.