New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Huge Coyote!!  (Read 6940 times)

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
Re: Huge Coyote!!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:18 PM »
That is a nasty looking yote.... I'd be just a bit nervous to see that as I'm bow hunting :-\

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:23 PM »
jeez, this pic still floatin around?  heard some guy talking about this pic in a bathroom @ a bar a few weeks ago.  laughed out loud when he argued w/me that it was shot in ny. ::)  finished his sentence "yea, its a picture of a huge coyote..." and i chimed in "yup, sittin next to a big buck, right?"   he was having none of this "it was shot in PA" nonsense ;D

anyway:  here's a real yote.  ballz and all-big ones-trapped him myself this fall.  37 lbs of angry k-9 8)

4 days check.+ an unpictured skunk that im still trying to forget.....

-PA-

"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline Wnyicefool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:45 PM »
The monster coyote on steroids hahahahaha, seen that pic four years ago it is also fake not real. But here is a good rumor that can be proven. There was a large cat spotted in hamburg nov 4th by the nike base. It made the channel 4 news. and there is actual video of it. I take my wife to work in hamburg and drive lakeview rd to smith street seen it run across the road on smith and stopped in a field. Called the cops and they came out and told me it was a cougar. The only thing is this thing was pure black. I keep a big spotlight in the truck next to my seat. I thought cougars were tan colored and Jaguars were Black? it was not real big either. The cops told me it attacked a guys archery deer target in his backyard. So I am thinking it was some pet that got loose or was set free. No wold cat would be that dumb. Any thoughts?

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:01 PM »
shoot em shoot em shoot em...
It's all about Karma.....

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:43 PM »
HERE IS A NICE COYOTE FROM MAINE 

48LBS

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:49 PM »
Any of you guys ever see a timberwolf up close and personal?  It's not uncommon at all to see animals like that.  They are absolutely huge.  I had one come to within about 20 yards of my deer stand a few years back.  I hate 'em cuz they eat so many deer, but they're a protected species and not worth the risk!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline jackbass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Better than a good day at work!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Seen plenty of coyote, and that aint one!

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2005, 10:08 AM »

Now, I've been around alot of talk and alot of pictures of coyotes and or wolves going to FLCC in the Coservation Dept.. The faculty there are very much in tune to NYS and what we have here, they also have a great relationship with the DEC. As the story goes, until 2 years ago, no one had taken a coyote in NYS over 70lbs (that's a huge yote), until a report came into the college that one had. Bill Banazuski who was the chairman of the Dept at the time was very skeptical about one that big, called Mike Allen at region 8 and asked about this 70lb'er, Allen says no it was a 75lb'er. Bill and some of the other staff took the ride to see it and confirmed it. That is the biggest so far in NYS. The DEC and the staff at the college believe that the yotes in NYS are in fact a cross of the heartier north-eastern yotes and timber wolves from up north and or the Minnesota area. Would explain the unusual size. I myself scooped up a near 60lb off Route 590 north right at the 490 split two years ago. Must have been chasing deer and got wacked by a car. Picked it up and brought it to the college  because it was so big and the location I found it. They are out there, but we have NO wolves in NYS that are a wild, naturally breeding, and thriving. All reports on them and courgars have been incidental escaped or released pets. There has been a long tired debate on re-intro of wolves in NYS and other states, but so far people have not agreed on anything to do that. Alot of prejudice to wolves and just what they are capable of as far as killing livesock, deer and or people. Alot of the prejudice is unfounded and just old stereotypes from hundreds of years of persecution. NYS, really can't justify a re- intro of wolves because we don't have a large enough range here even in the Adirondacks to release them, where PEOPLE wouldn't block the move. They need large area's with no human contacts or very little, naturally wolves want nothing to do with human contact. Coyotes on the other hand are expanding thier ranges everywhere, they are more oppertunistic then wolves and more adaptable because of size and diet, just like thier largest prey species, whitetails.

Offline fzgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Biggest coyote I ever saw!

Offline Jama1983

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jumbo Perch Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:34 AM »
well put shawner, I wish that the rest of the world would think the same way ;)
People should educate themselfs before speaking, instead of speaking and showing their mentality.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Dont discount that all these animals that are not suppose to be in NYS can range from other states. Look at the moose every year there are more and more moose in NY. All animals can travel from other areas and take up residence anywhere they want. I have had call ins for deer being in the city of Albany where there are no areas for them to be. They are cutting through to get to another spot. So for everybody that discounts coyotes and cougars being in NYS some might be pets that were release or ecasped and some might be visitors coming from other states .

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:48 AM »

I don't think anyone discredits the coyotes, but the cougars are a seperate issue. There was a thread going on this topic already, got pretty heated and moved to the Grumpy old men thread. You should read it. Whitetails and moose are one thing, tell me where the cougars are migrating in from and I'll give it a nod. Not Pennsylvania or any of the New England states, certainly not all the way from Florida. As a matter of fact tell me besides Florida anywhere east of the Mississippi, theres a POPULATION of cougars that could migrate into NY. Canada the same. Released pets I'll go for, migrated in, HIGHLY unlikely. Cougars and Wolves that is. :tipup:

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I don't know were they came from but I've seen one several times!  Big, Black, and with a long tail.  No, not a bobcat, not a house cat, not a bear, or a 'yote.  I've lived in the woods in western NY all my life. I've seen all these critters and the cat I've seen can't be mistaken for any of them. :-\
Dave
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:12 PM »
Theres no way that is a coyote, thats a wolf forsure.. Look at how protruding its whole head/snout is..
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Jama1983

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jumbo Perch Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2006, 05:47 PM »
FreshBait has the picture of what everyone thinks is a lion or cougar or panther. Its black and has a long tail.
People should educate themselfs before speaking, instead of speaking and showing their mentality.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:07 PM »

There's no ruling out that people are seeing these cats, I believe that there are actually a few cats running around the state. The notion that they migrated in or were put there by the state is the problem I have. I apologize for sounding like a Know it all, and that I have such a strong opinion on this. Everyone has the right to their opinion, I would encourage anyone to disprove my opinions. Ultimately, thats how people learn and change opinions or re-enforce the one's they have. I'd love for our great state to have all of the original indigenous animals back or know that our environment is so healthy here it could support all 3 top land predators in the US. People are really having a hard time with the notion that these animals are escapee's or released and that's it. It does take away from the notion that these are awesome intelligent animals and that they can survive, adapt and flourish without any help or discouragement from man.However, until I hear or see different my opinion stands. :tipup:

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2006, 08:19 PM »
I don't really know what it is ??? BUT, I do know 2 things.#1
if i seen that in my back hunting area it would  have a broadhead or a .54 maxi ball through it after i was done with it!
#2 That was a real good 1st post, Gaffmaster ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.