New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Size limit on ice fishing holes?  (Read 7629 times)

Offline loverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Size limit on ice fishing holes?
« on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:17 AM »
Anybody know if there is a law in N.Y.S. dictating how large of a hole may be drilled or made with a spud?  I know 2 guys that got wet past the knee because of oversized holes.  One guy had to wait for help cause he could not get his foot out as he had laced boots on that he could not get off by himself.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Size limit on ice fishing holes?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:40 AM »
i thought it was 10".  i would prefer a 15" hole though if i could. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:51 AM »
This time of year, what were 6" holes turn into much bigger holes pretty quickly.    There is no size limit, BTW, you can buy 12" ice augers if you look hard enough.    Heck, in states where spearing is allowed, they cut huge holes in the ice.    

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Big Red is right on...small holes become big holes quicker than you would think with warm days and above freezing nights.  Be careful as you venture out.  Especially if there is or was any wind blown snow that may cover up some holes.  I like to do and see people who mark holes when they leave with a twig or something (natural/ environmentally friendly).  It gives you a heads up to danger (open holes) and to potential "hot" spots..parden the pun.  Either way, big holes (and I mean ice holes guys) means spring is near. :'( :'( :'( 
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline perchcommander

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love them tastey beauties
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:30 AM »
There should be a size limit on holes. I've pulled a fair amount of 10 to 20 pound fish through a 6"hole when i used to tip-up fish. My feeling is that 8" augers are more than big enough for Lake George and most of the surrounding waters. I get nervous when I see 10" holes and kids out fishing with there dad or mom. It reminds me of when I was ten years old out with my dad half way to our fishing spot and Krplunk I went up to my groin in a ten inch hole. In my area Champlain should be the only exception because I don't think CHAMP would fit in an 8" hole....lol. This is just my opinion.   
leave some for the next person

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:51 AM »
They cut a 15' by 15' swimming pool for the polar bear jump here.   

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2011, 05:12 AM »
Anybody know if there is a law in N.Y.S. dictating how large of a hole may be drilled or made with a spud?  I know 2 guys that got wet past the knee because of oversized holes.  One guy had to wait for help cause he could not get his foot out as he had laced boots on that he could not get off by himself.

Yeah. We should have a law against Springholes of any size too, and a law against open water around the edges too, and we should also have one against creeks running into lakes and making the ice unsafe. Gee we should have a lot of laws about something that is inherently UNSAFE to begin with. You're walking on WATER fer crissakes, get a grip and use some SAFE judgement with every step you take.

If someone had to wait for help then they were fishing ALONE eh? Some feel there should be a LAW against that too. How many more LAWS do you want that work against this time honored sport? There are too many now because people don't use safety precautions.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2011, 05:56 AM »
No bigger than a full size truck!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:07 AM »
i love my 10" hole for perch fishing especially on LG  >:D :icefish: its nice to have a big enough hole to not worry about the ducer and still have room to land fish.yes most fish will fit through an 8" hole but its easier to land fish through a bigger hole especially when the ice gets thick,also i'v seen and heard of trophy fish being injured or scard because they were ripped through a small hole.i catch and release pike and lakers(trophy or not) so i deff don't want to cause them any added stress or injuries before i release them.heres another thing for all the people that hate 10" holes,ice fishing is a sport just like any other sport(nascar football baseball etc.) there are risks involved,if all you really need to worry about is soaking a leg then i'd say you got it pretty easy... keep your eyes open go fishing and have fun....oh and stay dry  ;)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Back in Nh the bait guys used to dip one of my favorite lakes for smelt, they would often cut 3' squares. Most of the time they were well marked, sometimes not so much . My first ever trip ice fishing I stepped into 1 and got a wet leg . The ice was well over 2 feet thick. I tell you what that taught me to pay attention to where I was walking, this is probably a good idea for everyone. I use an 8" auger and now wished I had a 10" . I bring small kids and realize a late season 8"  hole can swallow them up so I make sure they pay attention to every single step they take.  We do not want more laws...common sense goes along way

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:36 AM »
10 inch should be plenty, bigger would be more of a nuisance.
Mr.Esox

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:46 AM »
There should be a size limit on holes. I get nervous when I see 10" holes and kids out fishing with there dad or mom. It reminds me of when I was ten years old out with my dad half way to our fishing spot and Krplunk I went up to my groin in a ten inch hole. In my area Champlain should be the only exception because I don't think CHAMP would fit in an 8" hole....lol. This is just my opinion.   

And just *maybe* kids should listen to their parents more, and parents should pay better attention, and it wouldn't be an issue.

Funny, when I was 5 years old and on the bay, I never managed to fall into a spudded hole, and they always started about 18 inches to 24 inches at the top and funneled down.  Perhaps it was because my Dad paid attention, kept me in line and I LISTENED and OBEYED?

*MAYBE* we should just ban ice fishing so parents are relieved of one more responsibility?

*MAYBE* we should allow the State to tell us an "official" ice thickness so we can run snowmobiles and ATV's out there?

*MAYBE* we should push our legislators to pass another bunch of unnecessary laws so they have TOTAL control, eh?  After all, we can't have a kid actually listening to guidelines a parent sets forth without having some sort of state law to back it up, can we?

The old "a kid could fall through" whining is old and tiresome.  Perhaps if every kid got a good soaking up to the crotch once in their lives, they'd pay better attention.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:51 AM »
And just *maybe* kids should listen to their parents more, and parents should pay better attention, and it wouldn't be an issue.

Funny, when I was 5 years old and on the bay, I never managed to fall into a spudded hole, and they always started about 18 inches to 24 inches at the top and funneled down.  Perhaps it was because my Dad paid attention, kept me in line and I LISTENED and OBEYED?

*MAYBE* we should just ban ice fishing so parents are relieved of one more responsibility?

*MAYBE* we should allow the State to tell us an "official" ice thickness so we can run snowmobiles and ATV's out there?

*MAYBE* we should push our legislators to pass another bunch of unnecessary laws so they have TOTAL control, eh?  After all, we can't have a kid actually listening to guidelines a parent sets forth without having some sort of state law to back it up, can we?

The old "a kid could fall through" whining is old and tiresome.  Perhaps if every kid got a good soaking up to the crotch once in their lives, they'd pay better attention.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :icefish:

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I have a eight inch jiffy and never a problem getting a fish through. A friend has a ten inch model thirty that we use when fishing waters that produce 20# pike regularly. much easier bringing a thrashing fish through a ten inch hole. One negative is the ten inch is much heavier. very nice having the option of 2 augers.
Budweiser pro staff

Offline loverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Yeah. We should have a law against Springholes of any size too, and a law against open water around the edges too, and we should also have one against creeks running into lakes and making the ice unsafe. Gee we should have a lot of laws about something that is inherently UNSAFE to begin with. You're walking on WATER fer crissakes, get a grip and use some SAFE judgement with every step you take.

If someone had to wait for help then they were fishing ALONE eh? Some feel there should be a LAW against that too. How many more LAWS do you want that work against this time honored sport? There are too many now because people don't use safety precautions.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     I asked if anyone knew about a law or regulation regarding hole size.  Thats all.   Did'nt figure chainsaw was gonna get his panties in a wad fer crissakes.  And as far as the guy fishing ALONE, better reread your post from Feb. 24th when someone else went fishing ALONE.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Maybe we should make more intelligent questions loverboy..... :o
Ask a stupid question.....you know what you get.
READ THE BOOK!!!
Yeah I know, takes to long to turn a page compared to point and click...OH wait, go to the DEC website. You can even point and click.
Glad the ice is going...this site sucks!!

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2011, 03:04 PM »
watch where the hell you are walking.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2011, 07:40 PM »
It wont be long for this thread to be banished to grumpy old men! :roflmao: I dont care what size hole guys use out there.If i get wet it was my own fault.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2011, 03:56 AM »
It wont be long for this thread to be banished to grumpy old men! :roflmao: I dont care what size hole guys use out there.If i get wet it was my own fault.
Don't say it's their own fault. I was walking along one day & there were some snow drifts on the ice, I took a step & low & behold there was a hole burried under that drift. I went in up to my calf & there was nothing I could do to prevent it. I'm not against 10" holes, an 8" hole can be just as bad depending how you step in it. There are hazzards in anything we do, it is something you have to deal with.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2011, 07:53 PM »
well I'm not going to say what is or should be but at the end of every year all holes grow to what ever size so what can we do about that ,at the end after a thaw 2.,6" holes joined would have eaten a small man so do we ban making holes less  than 3' apart ,i have had a few wet legs myself over the years , snow cover is always a problem a 6" hole could twist or brake an ankle on any giving day ,just be careful and watch full, just an ol buzzards .02

Offline Eagle Claw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2011, 05:35 PM »
 :tipup:Should not have to worry about the size of the holes in the lake LG til next year. good luck with spring/summer/and fall fishing :tipup:

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Have droped a leg in a few 10inch holes over the years.  I use and like a 8 inch hole.  But, every time i did step in one I was NOT thinking, why did they put that hole there.  Why do guys use a 10.  What I did think though, man why did i not see that hole???  Just have to pay attention to where you are walking, sounds easy, but still find one every once in a while, guess it is just part of the fun of ice fishing.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I'm not a fan of large augers but they should not be regulated.  If the person operating the auger used a little common sense and left the ice mound to mark it AND the people on the ice payed attention, there would be no issues.  Sometimes, the ice is cleaned off around a big hole, a cold night and we get a little snow.  There is no way of telling there is a danger. 

Offline loverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Apr 21, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I'm not a fan of large augers but they should not be regulated.  If the person operating the auger used a little common sense and left the ice mound to mark it AND the people on the ice payed attention, there would be no issues.  Sometimes, the ice is cleaned off around a big hole, a cold night and we get a little snow.  There is no way of telling there is a danger. 
    Thanks for input guys.  I have gone to regs. at DEC...  still can't find anything that says whether or not there are any regs. concerning the size.  I don't want more regs. either.  Just wondering if there is such a thing.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2011, 02:37 PM »
nope this one wont go
 1 too late in the season
  2. already one or 2 there about hole size!
   3.  Im looking for a 12-14" auger.....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:01 AM »
    Thanks for input guys.  I have gone to regs. at DEC...  still can't find anything that says whether or not there are any regs. concerning the size.  I don't want more regs. either.  Just wondering if there is such a thing.

There is DEF no reg in NY att his time.  End of thread!!!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #26 on: Apr 22, 2011, 02:31 PM »
C holes  6" to 8"
B holes  9" to 12"
A holes................    anyone drilling bigger than a B hole.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2011, 05:47 AM »
C holes  6" to 8"
B holes  9" to 12"
;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2011, 07:57 AM »
C holes  6" to 8"
B holes  9" to 12"
so smelters are what???
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2011, 09:29 AM »
IMO - hole size should be limited - it should be some % of the body of water you are fishing  ;D  "like 100%"  >:D Just watch where you are going and there will be no issues  ;)  And teach your young-uns the same thing - they need to learn as well.
I am 61, have three kids all grown up and not one of them has ever stepped into a hole while ice-fishing; with me or anyone else.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.