New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Power augers do not spook fish  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Power augers do not spook fish
« Reply #60 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:19 AM »
Snowmobiles push the fish right down.   Quads to a lesser extent.   When the laker fishing gets slow, we do big wide circles on the quad around our jigging area and it always gets the fish going again.
OMG Bigred, I was going to say almost the samr thing but didn't think guys would beleive that one ;D ;D  I used to what I called herd the fish by going around and around. Worked back then and I guess still does HMMMMM. Don't give all the secrets away. ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #61 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:20 AM »
If you don't like power augers, don't fish around me!  I am a mobile angler, and I drill alot of friggin holes.  Check out the december issue of infisherman, the article on "trolling for walleye" under the ice.  They do for walleye exactly what I do for panfish and lake trout.  Punch a bunch of holes covering every inch of the structure they are working, and then quickly cover the piece and find any active fish.  No active fish?  Move on!
Drill some holes for me will ya !!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:36 AM »
 :thumbsup: RG. I swear that half the time I try to catch them, they tell me to go away "I have a headache"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Dec 23, 2009, 07:21 AM »
ya don't think a auger (hand)  tearing threw ice  scares fish.....just saying!  if your  going to  set tip ups up and   punch alot of jigging holes  it's the only way. been times  i think it scared fish  others i have  poped a hole and  fish were on the bite, so i honestly  don't think theres a sure answer   ,except  try to  show some consideration ...if a power auger bothers you  offer to cut the  guys holes  with your hand auger! and  as far as any  vet  , your welcomed  to fish with me  we'll get them holes drilled :)  and i know for fact snagger  feels the same way .......consideration works  two ways!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #64 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:41 AM »
went out yesterday drilled my holes for my tip ups will my gas auger (8) fishing for pike   then drilled holes with my buddies hand auger for jigging (6) i try to use the hand auger for ice of 5 inches or less and for anymore i use the gas (bad shoulder and hand augers dont mix) did see a guy with a drill on his auger and it seem to work good (sullymon)
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:45 AM »
BEAGELS RULE! :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

Offline pikedood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:43 AM »
I use my power auger the whole season and don't care if the ice is 2"s thick or 10" and think it actually is good for pike fishing as it causes them to move around a little along with making the pike minnows active too.

FLAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGG

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:57 AM »
After using an 8" power auger. I really like the larger hole, it makes it much easier to land fish. I use a 6" hand auger until the ice gets over 12" then it's all gas. I do try to punch a bunch of holes as soon as I get there and try to let it calm down. 

This has been an interesting thread, I always thought a power auger was much louder but this thread has chnaged my opinion.  Great observations by you guys with aqua views.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Yes and No!  Drill a hole the fish will let you know ;D  I've moved a tipup from an older hole to a new one drilled a few second before and had it go off immediately.  And one study said that you can make a study say anything you want.... 27% of people know that!  All I do know is that if the fish are in a spooky or negative mood... anything. noise, shadow, lure vibration can get them running.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.