New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Power augers do not spook fish  (Read 8237 times)

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
Re: Power augers do not spook fish
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:42 PM »
i fish a shallow harbor for perch. the max. depth is less than 10ft with the average around 6ft and i noticed by using my aqua-vu that the power auger spooks the perch in that shallow of water. i never understood why someone fishing on 6-8" of ice over 10' of water would need more than a hand auger anyway.

lazzy and only have a gas auger
Just enjoying life

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:13 AM »
i fish with an aqua vu and i have never noticed any effect a gas auger has on fishing i welcome people to fish with me if im catching them if they get spooked for some reason they usually come back within a few minutes. i think the biggest kick i get out of people is when i take my gas auger to big bay and drill about 200 holes around the village WOW talk about some **censored**ed off people I LOVE IT ! give me a break
i think its more the fact of the 10in holes your drilling out there and not the fact your using a power auger. Theres no reason for it on Big Bay since its mostly panfish your catching with an occasional pickerel here n there but hey, to each their own

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:03 AM »
I had an 8" gas auger for 10 years or so. I bought it for the snow mobile I used to run on Oneida. The whole machinery thing was just not my style. The snow mobile went after 3 years of hauling it around, the gas auger went last summer.

I just don't like that style of fishing. I walk and love it. I'm fortunate to be almost 60 and in good health. I'll be walking till I can't.

I'm a perch fisherman. I use a 4.5" Fin Bor with a Nils head. It takes me about 1 turn per inch of ice to cut effortless holes. It's light, folds to a compact size and I wouldn't give it up for $100.

People use gas augers...they always have....they always will.  Even on the thin ice we get around my neck of the woods. In 25 years I've never seen more than 18" of ice where I fish. The only times I get irritated are when guys start right next to me and that ain't too often. If you want to fish with the crowd, that's the way it is. If you want to fish with me, better be prepared to keep walking till we're way....way...way past the crowd.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:00 AM »
My new Gator is on it's way!!!

I'm a VERY mobile Ice fisherman, an " ice troller" if you will.  I fish all over the ice belt, and drill LOTS of holes. I think these new electric auger drives are the answer to most concerns..

The only time I'll sit in one spot for more than an hour is if the fish never leave, and never stop biting! And we ALL know this seldom happens.

As for running machines on the ice, I try as hard as I can to disrupt others as little as possible, but I'll tell ya, every year there seems to be MORE and MORE ignorant idiots on the ice, and I don't get it! The number of licensed ice fisherman continues to decline (unfortunately) every year, yet the amount on ignorance continues to increase..

Most important, I think, is to get your kids on the ice, teach them well, get them hooked,  this insures a bright future for the GREATEST outdoor sport in the world! But MAKE SURE to teach them on-ice manners, and general fishing etiquette. This will go a long way when it comes to respecting other anglers and respecting our waters. I'd be willing to bet that the bone heads out there were never taught this way, and thats why they are the way they are today...Some folks just don't know right from wrong. OR even WORSE don't understand it...
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:24 AM »
The thing that I find is that most people don't consider the fact that FISH DON'T HAVE EARS! They have lateral lines that pick up vibration/movement.

Snowmobiles with studded tracks must make a horrible racket down there and give off a lot of vibration in the water, where as the augers give off minimal vibrations because they're just shaving ice. Rapping your skimmer on the side of the hole is also another terrible idea and probably carries vibrations much farther under water and to a greater extent than walking with creepers or drilling a hole with a power auger.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Ya your covering alot of water, plus giving your first holes you punched time to relax, I'm talking as a WALKER and just want someone who is fortunate enough to own a machine to give me a Little room as I can't cover alot of ground without using alot of effort!  Many people with machines don't realise how easy it is to ruin a walkers morning or evening walleye bite, meanwhile it was just one stop of many for them!

I hear ya Shane.  We gotta get together this year for some ice fishing, I want to see that Lowrance you have in action!  You should come out for some Lakers at some point too.   November was good on the SR!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:34 AM »
  I love the guys who use there power augers through 4 inches of ice!
Herniate 2 discs in your neck and then we'll see how well you hand auger

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Didn't we determine from the diver that the gas auger and hand auger sound the same underwater? Bottom line is you can't ice fish without a hole of some sort and it may require a bit of noise to make that hole. We all still manage to catch fish don't we? At least most of us do anyway. Keep the machines away from me though. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline waronfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:14 PM »
we use TNT in our neck of the woods. it doesnt bother the fishin a bit... they still float right up to you...lol :o

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2009, 03:54 PM »
For my 2 cent I fish with prchslyer alot. I use a gas auger his is hand I wear creepers he doesn't  and when I go for a walk it's like I scare the fish his way.  ;).  As for 4 wheelers. I have no problems with people using them just don't just ride around seeing how people are doing. I got into some walleyes on Saratoga last year and all of a sudden a guy comes up with a wheeler with chains and ident from a red screen on my vex to nothing.   A good reson why I walk ( without creepers now) and leave my wheeler home.  Good info guys
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline gaffer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 19, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Having many years experience at ice fishing and making holes in ice with just about all the acceptable methods I must say I agree to your post content PARCIALLY ! Some fish don't seem to be bothered by the gas augers but I am positive that salmon definitely are. Fish are also turned off by creepers and that's why years ago when fishing for salmon and lakers and wearing creepers I would allow the fish to take my bait for about 5 minutes before heading for the tipups. Even banging an ice skimmer on the ice will scare them and I have seen that countless times. 4 wheelers aren't the worst of the machines to turn the fish off but snowmobiles rate right up there being the worst offenders. I have been on the bite and have these squatter guys next to me start their sleds up and you could see the fish go to the bottom. When the noise was gone they bit again.
HOLY COW U LET TROUT AND SALMON RUN FOR 5 MINUTES?HOW MUCH LINE DO U HAVE ON UR SPOOL?THE LAKERS AND LANDLOCKS IN THE ADIRONDACKS CAN SPOOL A GUY OUT REAL FAST.FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY WITH TIPUPS BOUNCING ON THE ICE.I DID GET A 9POUND LAKER THAT HOOKED HIMSELF THOUGH,HE STILL LOOKS GOOD ON THE WALL ;D THANK YOU BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKE.

Offline Overly Hackled

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:35 PM »
 Stay away from me with your power augers, sleds, or 4 wheelers. When I'm walleye fishing it ALWAYS makes my marks go away, if I'm lucky they come back in a hour, but most of the time I half to move because someone came over on a machine to see if I'm getting anything! I've noticed that power augers don't bother perch as much, but machines can sometimes! There should be a unwritten rule that you can't use power augers within an hour of sunset, I don't know how many times I've waited all day for the evening bite, only to have it ruined by somebody! I love the guys who use there power augers through 4 inches of ice!

"I love the guys who use there power augers through 4 inches of ice!"

Climb down off your high horse Bro.Some of us old farts who have been at this game a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time have shot our shoulders. Also there are some war vets out there among us who have sustained combat injuries that preclude the use of hand augers for extended periods of time.Four inches or not.
It's a big frozen pond this world of ours and some times you may want to walk a frozen mile in some one elses  boots before ya just jump to conclusions about who is doing what and why.
Your Pal >>>>>>>> Overly Hackled

"Sic Vis Pacum,Para Bellum"

If You Want Peace,Prepare For War"......

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:48 AM »
"I love the guys who use there power augers through 4 inches of ice!"

Climb down off your high horse Bro.Some of us old farts who have been at this game a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time have shot our shoulders. Also there are some war vets out there among us who have sustained combat injuries that preclude the use of hand augers for extended periods of time.Four inches or not.
It's a big frozen pond this world of ours and some times you may want to walk a frozen mile in some one elses  boots before ya just jump to conclusions about who is doing what and why.

No High Horse here Bro, my father was in Vietnam in 68. The thing with this computer texting is it doesn't always refleck the real person writing the post. Not everytime that I'm on the computer I am in a good mood, my words don't always come off right. There is always exceptions to the rule of course. I am indebted to your service for this great country and always will be. I'm very sorry that you sustained injuries during your service to this country. I'll re write what I meant to say the first time, if your able bodied, I think power augers scare fish and they should only be used if your at a reasonable distant from fellow ice fishermen! I hope you have a great season man!!  

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2009, 04:17 AM »
Sunday morning I watched two "able bodied" young men make Swiss cheese on I-Bay with their new power toy.....3" of ice...3 fow.

It was comical.

There weren't any fish there to speak of anyway.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:20 AM »
 No High Horse here Bro, my father was in Vietnam in 68. The thing with this computer texting is it doesn't always refleck the real person writing the post. Not everytime that I'm on the computer I am in a good mood, my words don't always come off right. There is always exceptions to the rule of course. I am indebted to your service for this great country and always will be. I'm very sorry that you sustained injuries during your service to this country. I'll re write what I meant to say the first time, if your able bodied, I think power augers scare fish and they should only be used if your at a reasonable distant from fellow ice fishermen! I hope you have a great season man!!  
(Image removed from quote.)

Funny you should mention "mood" ....

The reality of this Myth is....

Fish are spooky only when THEY ARE IN THE MOOD.

Aquaviews don't lie.  ;)

And when the fish are in a spooky mood, it doesn't matter if you are in 4 fow, or 40 fow...using a power auger, or not.....Some days just the wrong jigging action..or even STOPPING JIGGING  :o   can set them fish off for another county.

This is the truth of this myth. If you don't want to believe me, invest in an underwater camera, use it EVERY DAY THERE IS ICE on every lake you fish in the State, for year after year. (not just a couple minutes, one weekend) And then come back and tell me you found out something different.... ;D

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:28 AM »
Obviously, a loud sharp clanging noise scares fish period. However, they do come back. A few years ago, I observed some research being done on various sound vibrations and the effect on fish at Cornell. Cool stuff. Some sounds attract and others repel. I'll use the power auger for perch all day because I never fish less than 30' , but if I am gill fishing in a shallow pond, the hand auger gets used. And if my back goes out, I'll let my buddy drill  ;D

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:35 AM »
Noise scares fish period. However, they do come back. A few years ago, I observed some research being done on various sound vibrations and the effect on fish at Cornell. Cool stuff. Some sounds attract and others repel. I'll use the power auger for perch all day because I never fish less than 30' , but if I am gill fishing in a shallow pond, the hand auger gets used. And if my back goes out, I'll let my buddy drill  ;D
You obviously do not own and use an underwater camera........ ::)  I have seen sunfish in 4 f.o.w. taking bait, while a power auger is spinning thru the ice 15 ft. away in the background.....and i've also seen fish around my jig, take off like a rocket, because the guy in the shanty 30 yds away stood up to stretch! 

It's all about the MOOD OF THE FISH.... ;D

Do we need to call MYTHBUSTERS ON THIS?  8)

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:14 AM »
Some people use power augers and either ATVs or snowmobiles for health reasons, especially the older we get. 
Leave it better than you found it

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:38 AM »
Funny you should mention "mood" ....

The reality of this Myth is....

Fish are spooky only when THEY ARE IN THE MOOD.

Aquaviews don't lie.  ;)

And when the fish are in a spooky mood, it doesn't matter if you are in 4 fow, or 40 fow...using a power auger, or not.....Some days just the wrong jigging action..or even STOPPING JIGGING  :o   can set them fish off for another county.

This is the truth of this myth. If you don't want to believe me, invest in an underwater camera, use it EVERY DAY THERE IS ICE on every lake you fish in the State, for year after year. (not just a couple minutes, one weekend) And then come back and tell me you found out something different.... ;D

I agree 100% !!

I've observed the same thing several times...

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:56 AM »
I amended my reply to "loud clanging noise" and that scares fish.  But, as I said earlier, they do come back fairly soon. The next question then is, why do they turn off and turn on at different times and conditions? Perch seem to turn off from about 11:00 till 2:00. They even did this on I Bay from the boat this fall. Anyone else notice this.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:42 AM »
The next question then is, why do they turn off and turn on at different times and conditions? Perch seem to turn off from about 11:00 till 2:00. They even did this on I Bay from the boat this fall. Anyone else notice this.
Cause they are "flakey" like humans?  ;D

Offline pikefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:52 AM »
not really sure if power augers scare fish or not but i use mine no matter how much ice there is the only reason i will use my hand auger is if the power one is broke not because of health issues or anything like that, basically it because i am lazy and i can punch all the holes i need for the day in just a few minutes. i seem to do just as good catching fish as everyone else, have my good days and bad, just like being out there. well thats my two cents

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:07 AM »
 Wow i learnt my thing for the day. I always PRESUMED power aurgers scared fish, it makes total sense now to think about the physics behind it and decide that hand/power makes the same sound underwater. As for 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, foot spikes, spudding or any other 'bang' they all spook fish. i use only a hand aurger because i'm a sled draggin walker and i don't want to drag a heavy engine aurger around (i can also pretty much keep up with a powered aurgr in drilling speed). It sucks if you believe someone ruined your fishing with some machine, but suck it up its everyones right to be out there doing what they want, its a free country. Moaning about it doesn't help you or them. If you wanna fish away from others, well go and fish away from others, don't just bi*** about it. Some wanna fish hard, others wanna drink beer and shoot the breeze, each to thier own.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:39 AM »
   This thread really has turned into a good debate and I think I have changed my veiws on Power augers, only time will tell. I sure know I'll be more careful walking on ice with little snow with my cleats and the noise my dragging jet sled makes, if helps put a couple more walleyes on the ice, great! Last year CNYpanfisher pulled up about 60 yards away with his 4 wheeler, then walked over to introduce himself, I knew he was a stand up guy just from that!!  There was a good weather pattern that day and they were biting, the fish left the screen for a couple minutes, then came back!!  Thanks for the info...!!!

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Seen it on the Camera also, fish can be spooky or stay put with slight noise.  Depends on their mood or I think more on the Barometer.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:24 PM »
   This thread really has turned into a good debate and I think I have changed my veiws on Power augers, only time will tell. I sure know I'll be more careful walking on ice with little snow with my cleats and the noise my dragging jet sled makes, if helps put a couple more walleyes on the ice, great! Last year CNYpanfisher pulled up about 60 yards away with his 4 wheeler, then walked over to introduce himself, I knew he was a stand up guy just from that!!  There was a good weather pattern that day and they were biting, the fish left the screen for a couple minutes, then came back!!  Thanks for the info...!!!

Yep Snag, thats IS the sign of a considerate ice fisher, and just for the record, the first time Filetandrelease officially introduced himself on the ice he parked his sled a GOOD 75 yards away from me and walked on over...I wish EVERYBODY could read these posts, and practice the same etiquette. Personally I never really realized how offensive the sound of a machine is under the ice, but now I will make it a point to park far away before approaching a fellow ice angler...EXCEPT OF COURSE it's the ONE and ONLY........SNAGGER!!!! :whistle: :roflmao: :whistle: :roflmao: ;)2

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Getting to b e an old fart like me I forgot an incident that occurred a few years back on Sodus. It was a real hard freeze and the ice was at least a foot thick if not more. Some guy in a Chrystler minivan pulled up to me while I was out in the middle of the bay and asked how I was doing. I was so scared, I can't even remember what I said.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Getting to b e an old fart like me I forgot an incident that occurred a few years back on Sodus. It was a real hard freeze and the ice was at least a foot thick if not more. Some guy in a Chrystler minivan pulled up to me while I was out in the middle of the bay and asked how I was doing. I was so scared, I can't even remember what I said.
   :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:18 PM »
 i use the  power auger, cut a bunch of holes  then i'm set and  i have noticed the guys that complain  don't mind  sneaking in the holes!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Moods....fish have moods.....hmmmm,
They must have grown thumbs when I wasn't looking :unsure:

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.