Author Topic: Rod lockers  (Read 4231 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Rod lockers
« Reply #30 on: Oct 30, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Looking at the eagle claw and flambeau cases here: do the jig boxes/tackle boxes bounce much or cause any problems? I'm not using expensive gear, but want to keep things protected for low cost.  I'm thinking if they move much, could add a towel to keep it snug in place or something like it?

I only put like a towel and extra pair of gloves in the center open area of my Eagle Claw case.  Spare roll of TP.  A few loose rope for tying up things too.  A few packages of soft plastic grubs.  I made sure to have my heavier lure boxes on the ends of the case.  It's just the rod butts there, made sure no rod tips extends into that area so nothing to worry about.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Oct 30, 2019, 01:09 PM »
I have the eagle claw case and its nice but very bulky, I don't even use it except to store my gear in during spring til winter.

I'm gonna get the Simms bounty hunter vault this year and try it out.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Oct 30, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Ive got the eagle claw case too.it is big and bulky and doesnt fit in any of my shanties.i only use it for storing my gear over the summer months.its a great case but to big for my needs.i use my clam rod locker for my shorter setups.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2019, 01:22 PM »
I have the Eagle Claw rod locker ..the Utility boxes (3500 I believe) stay fairly secure  ...I also recently purchased the Flambeau case very similar to the Eagle Claw ..except its foam cut out has 4 slots as opposed to 3 slot of the EC . Not sure its better ..my initial thought is I don't think I can get any more rods in it as the EC rod locker ..maybe more spinning rods with the handles collapsed but I  have yet to start to put in any gear into it. I like both the Rod locker cases EZPZ in out of the rods  ..I also have the SI transporter ..that hold 5 rods and lots of storage in the center ..store my extra clothing in there .I have a Frabill hard case as well ..for some reason that case hasn't seen much action and mostly used for storage.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2019, 01:23 PM »
I have the Eagle Claw, it's great. I have 6 rods in it and 5 3500 jig boxes in it. Not to mention all my plastics and several other gadgets. I don't carry a dedicated tackle bag any more. It's a bit larger than I thought it would be when I ordered it but I made work and then it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Offline ndsumiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Oct 30, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Thanks! I'm looking for something to transport 3-4 rods/reels, and either a jig box and a small tackle box or two jig boxes. Rods aren't too big (Max of 30") and would prefer a hard case. This seems a bit too big maybe.

Offline Lumberjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Oct 30, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Flambeau AR case $60 cdn on Amazon. Bigger and half the price as frabil etc.

Best bang for buck. Easily hold 8 rods and tip ups, jack jackets etc
 Its 5" tall so no need to fold reels

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 30, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Flambeau AR case $60 cdn on Amazon. Bigger and half the price as frabil etc.

Best bang for buck. Easily hold 8 rods and tip ups, jack jackets etc
 Its 5" tall so no need to fold reels

do you take all of the foam out?
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 30, 2019, 03:52 PM »
I have the Otter box -Its sturdy and rugged.  I was using a gun case but the middle section felt like it could not take a blow from an Auger powerhead bumping around in a sled or truck bed. 

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2019, 04:15 PM »
I have the Striker Transporter and the Flambeau.  I like them both, but find myself using the flambeau more often.

If anyone is interested in buying the Striker Transporter Bag I'd sell it for $80 plus shipping.  PM me...

Offline Lumberjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30, 2019, 08:43 PM »

do you take all of the foam out?

Leave it in to protect everything it compresses

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 30, 2019, 09:36 PM »
If anyone is considering the Eagle Claw, it's on sale for $39.99 for the next 25 minutes at www.fieldandstreamshop .com as part of their flash sale. Plus if you sign up for email you get an extra 10% off, and 4% cash back with a certain portal. Less than $45 shipped.

I just ordered one, looking forward to trying it out this year. Gotta be better than everything bouncing around in a bucket.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Oct 30, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I got the flambeau late last winter. It is definitely big and bulky but it holds all of my rods in one place as well as my jig boxes. Beats the hell out of the soft bags I used to have. Works great in my otter lodge shack which is my primary shack once there is enough ice for atv’s.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.