New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spring Perch small boat harbor  (Read 1894 times)

Offline ERIEPERCH

• No view profile
  • IceShanty Rookie
Spring Perch small boat harbor
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:49 AM »
Anyone ever fish small boat harbor on kayak or or from shore in spring?.   Ive heard you can get limits of big perch?

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spring Perch small boat harbor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Most years you would be amazed at how many big perch you can get at the SBH in the spring after all the dinks you see ice fishing. They move into spawn. Usually the area around the long dock behind the restaurant is good or down toward the other end by the new boat ramps. Once you find them you can do real well
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Spring perch huh! We may want to check with Caliking, I heard he gets around! He's got numbers for that old harbor, hidden brush piles!

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:18 PM »
My yak is ready also! Big eyes should be in that harbor soon, just gotta keep the smelt away

Offline ERIEPERCH

• No view profile
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:28 PM »
My yak is ready also! Big eyes should be in that harbor soon, just gotta keep the smelt away

Ya ill be giving it a shot soon as ice is out.      Easier to limit on boat in spring but good alternate if its windy or limited time.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2018, 03:40 PM »
yes spring fishing can be good but it depends on the timing. the big perch don't live in there. they can move in and out within a day. I remember fishing one day and getting a bucket of 10"-12" but next day they are gone. you almost have to fish it every day to get on em. its like a one week window, in my experience, that gets hot but once word gets out, its usually over by then. other guys may say otherwise... I fish it a lot in spring but NEVER seen a walleye caught INSIDE the harbor where all the boat docks are. in the channel between break walls, yes, but not inside. besides, even if caught, cant keep em as season ends on march 15th. so if any one has been keeping them at all over the years in spring, its ILLEGAL!
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Big perch and big eyes lmao. The harbor is dink city all year round. You will catch a very occasional lunker once in a blue moon, but I guess that's why we fish huh. I would go anywhere but the harbor for good spring fishing
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Big perch and big eyes lmao. The harbor is dink city all year round. You will catch a very occasional lunker once in a blue moon, but I guess that's why we fish huh. I would go anywhere but the harbor for good spring fishing
I have caught hundreds of big perch out there in the spring and fall but not in the winter. Like mentioned above you just have to time it right
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline jhl4661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:52 PM »
There is a solid run in the spring.   It’s all timing.  Last spring we were out in lake getting our butts kicked by 3-5 footers and the guys in the harbor were out fishing us 4-1.  I believe it was around April 1

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:59 PM »
There is a solid run in the spring.   It’s all timing.  Last spring we were out in lake getting our butts kicked by 3-5 footers and the guys in the harbor were out fishing us 4-1.  I believe it was around April 1
yes sir you are correct. it got pretty hot last year. crappies too. just gotta time it right. but let some people think its always dink city. pretty sure they don't know how to use a noodle rod with the 1" tube jigs under the thill tg waggler bobber.... Erie basin was another great place in fall/spring until it was bought out, locked the docks up and kicked out the fishermen...... still laugh at the "eyes" report though

Offline ERIEPERCH

• No view profile
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2018, 06:08 AM »
yes sir you are correct. it got pretty hot last year. crappies too. just gotta time it right. but let some people think its always dink city. pretty sure they don't know how to use a noodle rod with the 1" tube jigs under the thill tg waggler bobber.... Erie basin was another great place in fall/spring until it was bought out, locked the docks up and kicked out the fishermen...... still laugh at the "eyes" report though

Is it good at times in Gallagher beach as well?

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Is it good at times in Gallagher beach as well?
personally I never tried fishing off the beach... but when the smallies come in, its golden fishing off the rock walls from the jet ski launch all the way around to the harbor entrance

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.