Author Topic: Will dail locaters be obsolete soon?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Will dail locaters be obsolete soon?
« on: Jul 29, 2019, 11:25 PM »
To be more specific will FL 18 and Marcum LX1 style locaters be obsolete soon with the new technology down scope etc. I'm happy with my FL18 and Fl20 right now but hoping the others come down more in price. Will these locators become the old 8 track tapes of the decade. Just wondering your thoughts.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Will dail locaters be obsolete soon?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2019, 05:44 AM »
If it works, it works that's what really matters to me.  There's nothing to replace the actual feel of fighting a fish on a rod, reel, and line.  Cuz one can basically use technology such as remote control robotics etc.,...to that point.  You don't need to actually catch fish, you just electric shock them and pick them up.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2019, 06:35 AM »
I think they will still be around.vexilars or marcum flashers do a great job and are simplified and really all thats needed to pull a fish thru a hole in the ice.i do spend lots of money on gear but im never buying a fishfinder that cost more than the truck im driving just to catch a fish..jmo

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2019, 08:25 AM »
They'll persist, heck, flip phones are making a comeback.  ::)

Flashers will remain the lightest, most portable option for at least the near future. The Panoptix/Livescope bundle is a package and a half to power, transport, setup and use. There will always be a call for small, light and simple.

Until they figure out how to cram all that tech into something the size of six-pack or smaller, simplify setup and use your flasher and support for it is likely safe.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2019, 09:56 AM »
No will never go out of style.. there faster then my lowrance.   cause of simplicity of design.  The more computing and crap to calculate slows down the finder it's like trying tl constantly go threw a milion lines of code and the battery dies faster cause of this and the system grinds to a halt .. but do I like lowrance's tech yes but in other words there are trade offs.. between the two like like a paper trail of what the fish did on one and speed on the other.. if you get a fl8 for around 120 aprox.. I wold jump on it cause its what I paid for my lowrance I got aprox.. by the way I got two at same price..

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2019, 10:55 AM »
they already are obsolete....but like POTS line phones, you can still get one and use it, and it stills serves a purpose.

Catchin' Fish

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2019, 02:02 PM »
they already are obsolete....but like POTS line phones, you can still get one and use it, and it stills serves a purpose.

Yup so you can tell the robo call guy from India to jump off a over pass in to on coming trafic..

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Obsolete in 5-10 years. No reason to own one now except cost, weight, and simplicity

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2019, 05:19 AM »
I don't think the "flasher" is going anywhere. I have both a flasher and an LCD fish finder and prefer the flasher when I'm on the ice. The thing that will be obsolete sooner or later is the mechanical flasher. I can set my LCD FF to ice flasher when on the ice and have a flasher that wont hum, knock or fail due to worn out or damaged parts. I can even set it up with a flasher and down scan at the same time and view both. I think that's where the tech is headed.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I'll only give up my LX-5 when they pry it from my cold dead hands- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2019, 01:04 PM »
^^^same goes for my VXR and my M5!!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2019, 10:33 PM »
If my 5 is obsolete then I am too.  Its OK.  What's ironic is how I've ended up pairing things.  I use my LX5 for of my Pan/Trout fishing when I'm on foot and dragging a sled. Typically I'm spinning my 6" Nils with a Fuel or a Rigid.  The 5 is so intuitive with little adjustment needed when I finally get onto fish.  Conversely, when I'm fishing for Mac's with the Ski Doo it kinda flips.  I'll be taking the LX6 (love the graph function) but "reverting" to a gas powerhead (8" Tanaka)...I'll never part with it.  That baby rips!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2019, 05:24 AM »
You guys are mixing up "obsolete" with "not serviceable". Yep, my old hummingbird is going to keep on spinning until it catches fire on the ice. No doubt. All the brands are now offering LCD flashers. The writing is on the wall, sooner or later the manufacturers are going to move to newer tech and the old mechanical flashers will only be available from the used market.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.